Reclaiming property for bird hunting

ben33127

Reclaiming property for bird hunting

Post by ben33127 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:44 pm

Im looking at some property thats not ideal, clear cut a few years ago with a lot of undergrowth trash coming up. Has anyone solely dedicated a rough property to a good bird hunting property, and how did you do it?

I do not necessarily want to hold wild birds that is a little more of an undertaking, I just want to property to be huntable, i.e field, scattered timber where I can have a few Johnny houses and work my dogs.

Tom L

Re: Reclaiming property for bird hunting

Post by Tom L » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:05 pm

I would say your number one tool for good bird habitat is fire. Depending on size of the property I would break it up into 50 acre blocks and do rotational burns making sure each block gets fire every 24 months. Of course all this would vary based on fertility of ground, is it uplands, what other uses on the property, etc.. I'm sure your fish and game dept and state forestry dept would have some great resources.

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Hi, I don't know if this helps you much, but what my brother and I did were he bought a house with 40ish acres I think, and the fields weren't great and the woods was, well, woods. But to make it better for bird hunting and deer hunting but now mostly bird as we got better deer areas. We planted the fields with food plots such as, wheat, clover, turnips, sunflowers, barrasica, and some more, then we also put a pond kinda in the middle of the field, one in the far back corner of the field on the tree line, and one on the treeline by his house. The birds love the long grass by the pond and love the food plots when thick. We also logged a trail from the deerstand to his neighbors field(for money and shooting lane) which also made the birds come out more, left more spots for thick long grass to hide in, and left the trees and buds and such for them to eat..

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:42 pm

We also bought about 25 pheasant to release

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Burn it, stump it, plant it.

Repeat repeat repeat

Db

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

DougB