Success story's of keeping GSP in 6 ft fenced backyard

Ghostware

Post by Ghostware » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:11 pm

My only option is to keep a dog in the backyard (kennels and dog runs now allowed in neighborhood). I would like to hear success story's of people keeping a GSP in their fenced backyard during the workday. The dog would be allowed the house in the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSU Aggie

Re: Success story's of keeping GSP in 6 ft fenced backyard

Post by MSU Aggie » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:25 pm

Good luck. I would suggest crating while your gone or putting on a chain/cable. Mine are all crated when the wife leaves work and let out whenever someone gets home.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:39 pm

The only way I'd EVER do that is to fence the backyard 6' high AND install an underground wire three feet out from it and all the way around it. GSP's are climbers and jumpers and 6' ain't very high.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm not being 'Obtuse' just honest.
If You have to leave a GSP in a any place all day every day while you are at work then perhaps a Goldfish would have been a better choice :roll:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:59 pm

LOL ...

Your plan:
The dog will bark his head off all day and dig to get out. Someone may steal the dog. The bylaw officer will be visiting. I live in the city too and have had 2 GSPs.

My plan:

Work on "whoa" in the house.
Get up early and run the dog somewhere.TRy to tire the dog out , although with a young GSP this is near to impossible.
Crate the dog in the house. If in a townhouse , use an anti bark collar.
Pay someone to come in at lunch and run the dog for as long as possible.
Take the dog out for a long run when you get home from work.
Work on recall.
Do your training/birds etc.. on the weekend .

Enjoy your dog.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zrp

Post by zrp » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:03 pm

polmaise wrote:I'm not being 'Obtuse' just honest.
If You have to leave a GSP in a any place all day every day while you are at work then perhaps a Goldfish would have been a better choice :roll:

I disagree. Just because we have jobs doesn't mean we should be disallowed from pet ownership and hobbies. An invisible fence, as previously suggested, may be a good option for you

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:05 pm

I've found with invisible fencing that the dog will sometimes see something that it just can't resist and run the gauntlet ; then it is afraid to come back across the fence and ends up lost.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:24 pm

Just wanted to add to this just in case someone gets to thinking it a solution for a GSP home all day or even hours unattended for that matter.

In no way shape or form will an invisible fence of any kind work for an unattended GSP..however the way in which GH has described it just may provided the dog is trained very very well on the E-fence and is of the personality to respect it.

In line w/what Sharon pointed out..if that 6' fence is a solid fence that cannot be seen through..chances of success go way up.

Surely there are success stories..but that would by the exception by far when it comes to a Shorthair specifically.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:34 pm

Yup.
A trained one will pretty much be ok in the yard all day.
But this one ain't ....
by Ghostware » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:46 am

My wife and I live in a suburb of a large city, we have a fenced in medium sized backyard (50ft by 60ft) and a 2000 square foot house. I run 3 miles on average 3 times a week. I have a large field (500 yards by 500 yards) within walking distance of my house and a nicely kept large fenced in dog park within a 1/4 mile of my house. I also have a 160 acre deer hunting lease within 30 minutes of my house. Am I making a huge mistake trying to have a GSP as a indoor pet and part time hunting companion given these conditions? I grew up in the country where dogs roamed people's property freely, keeping a dog in a house and a fenced backyard is a foreign concept to me. My wife keeps our house very clean and my biggest fear is the dog destroys the house.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:48 pm

GSP's are climbers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ghostware

Post by Ghostware » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:54 pm

polmaise wrote:Yup.
A trained one will pretty much be ok in the yard all day.
But this one ain't ....
by Ghostware » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:46 am

My wife and I live in a suburb of a large city, we have a fenced in medium sized backyard (50ft by 60ft) and a 2000 square foot house. I run 3 miles on average 3 times a week. I have a large field (500 yards by 500 yards) within walking distance of my house and a nicely kept large fenced in dog park within a 1/4 mile of my house. I also have a 160 acre deer hunting lease within 30 minutes of my house. Am I making a huge mistake trying to have a GSP as a indoor pet and part time hunting companion given these conditions? I grew up in the country where dogs roamed people's property freely, keeping a dog in a house and a fenced backyard is a foreign concept to me. My wife keeps our house very clean and my biggest fear is the dog destroys the house.
I don't follow you. How is that one not trained, I don't even own it yet?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:45 pm

Ghostware , You are something else :lol:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:58 pm

I think you really have to look at your covenants. How do they define a "kennel"? How do they address storage sheds? What about a 6x12 kennel INSIDE of your garage? Storage shed with a 6x12 kennel in it? Know exactly what your restrictions are and you should be able to get around them.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:08 pm

my backyard has a six-foot chain-link fence, around the perimeter. About a foot off the bottom on the inside is a strand of electric wire, the same type that you would use in the horse pasture . That strand is attached to an cattle electric fencer and you can't drag one of my nine German shorthairs or English pointers up to that fence .

it's worked for 30 years although I'm on my fourth or fifth fencer unit because occasionally they get struck by lightning .

they also do a pretty darn good job of keeping my horses off the pasture fences .

good bark collar will work for the barking issue if there is one .

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:16 pm

the electric strand is run thru porcelain eyes it does not touch the 6 foot fence , meaning the big fence is not electric

just thought I would explain that if you aren't familiar with horse fencers the strand is about four inches inside the fence

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:28 pm

bobman wrote:the electric strand is run thru porcelain eyes it does not touch the 6 foot fence , meaning the big fence is not electric

just thought I would explain that if you aren't familiar with horse fencers the strand is about four inches inside the fence
Before I roofed it Bobman, I did the exact thing but put it in a foot and around the top of a 4' fence. Worked great.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Had one that would go to the corner and stick feet both directions and climb a 7 1/2 foot fence. Shimmy up and stand on the 2x6 on top. If she saw me she would jump back in 7 1/2 feet if not she would jump out. That being said the two I have now don't go over a 6 foot fence but one can dig under in 30 minutes the other two just stand and wait then climb under with her. Had to bury some wire. They clear a 4 foot fence like nothing.

ghideon

Post by ghideon » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:51 am

Out of the 8 GSPs my family has had, #4 (Dolly) who was a 30lb runt routinely jumped a 6ft fence until my father corrected her with an e-collar. I was in high school at the time and did not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. And that's after seeing her on the wrong side of the fence. Twice.

My current little shite (#8, Ollie) used to look longingly at the fence while sitting on the edge of the planters when he was 4 months old. A serious amount of off leash exercise corrected this. He's 8.5months old and we're doing 2.5-3hrs of offleash time in the park daily. More on the weekends.

If you don't properly exercise a GSP they will make a fool of you.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:08 am

Using the corner to scale up a fence..that’s hilarious, brilliant, and frustrating all at the same time…gotta’ love ‘em!

When we purchased our home there was a small fenced in area intact.

During the chaos of the move & before I could come up with a long term solution of securing the dogs we kept my male in there (while home & going in/out).

Our female was at the vet for the first couple days of the move..anyhow, our male was a nice dog and super smart but not what I would have described as being particularly clever.

He was a high strung & highly driven bird dog which got in the way of his intelligence..endearingly goofy as could be but all business in the field.

Brought the female home and put her out w/the male…within 20 minutes she had a trench dug out beneath the fence w/out our having noticed.

No fun tracking a duo of shorthairs gone rogue in a large tract of timber & in a new area.

Fortunately, we found them.

I really wonder sometimes if the potential owner of a GSP really understands the full meaning of the phrase, “GSP’s are very very smart dogs” & everything that fact encompasses..lol

Clearly I am drafting in GSP specific terms & these behaviors range beyond the breed as bird dogs in general are dogs x10 in a large sense.

What I hope the new comer & potential bird dog owner perusing this site can fully appreciate is that these breeds require dedication like we need water if they are to be a sound animal.

The not so good side of unrealistic ambitions often results in many a good dog ending up w/a rescue group or worse.

Although the spunk is something most here consider virtuous, it appears that far to often people (especially in this FB world) become spunk drunk for that handsomely cute & clever animal w/out truly understanding the totality of the breed.

They are not accessories nor are they play things only there for one’s amusement..they are very needy living & thinking beings that can only thrive in an environment where those needs can be met. These dogs in large part define you in a very real sense b/c they literally become such a large part of who you are & that goes far beyond “Ralph Lauren clothing & Cadillacs”.

For the hardcore trial folks, breeders, & many of the AKC/NAVHDA participants..this is not something they do “on the weekends”..it is a lifestyle that is present in their lives every single day.

When that is misunderstood..it is ALWAYS the dog that loses..always.

Anyhow..a friend parallels his 4/5’ tall split rail fence in the manner which bobman & GH have described using cattle wire..seems to work for him (he’s in the country)

Ghostware

Post by Ghostware » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:18 am

Tooling wrote:Using the corner to scale up a fence..that’s hilarious, brilliant, and frustrating all at the same time…gotta’ love ‘em!

When we purchased our home there was a small fenced in area intact.

During the chaos of the move & before I could come up with a long term solution of securing the dogs we kept my male in there (while home & going in/out).

Our female was at the vet for the first couple days of the move..anyhow, our male was a nice dog and super smart but not what I would have described as being particularly clever.

He was a high strung & highly driven bird dog which got in the way of his intelligence..endearingly goofy as could be but all business in the field.

Brought the female home and put her out w/the male…within 20 minutes she had a trench dug out beneath the fence w/out our having noticed.

No fun tracking a duo of shorthairs gone rogue in a large tract of timber & in a new area.

Fortunately, we found them.

I really wonder sometimes if the potential owner of a GSP really understands the full meaning of the phrase, “GSP’s are very very smart dogs” & everything that fact encompasses..lol

Clearly I am drafting in GSP specific terms & these behaviors range beyond the breed as bird dogs in general are dogs x10 in a large sense.

What I hope the new comer & potential bird dog owner perusing this site can fully appreciate is that these breeds require dedication like we need water if they are to be a sound animal.

The not so good side of unrealistic ambitions often results in many a good dog ending up w/a rescue group or worse.

Although the spunk is something most here consider virtuous, it appears that far to often people (especially in this FB world) become spunk drunk for that handsomely cute & clever animal w/out truly understanding the totality of the breed.

They are not accessories nor are they play things only there for one’s amusement..they are very needy living & thinking beings that can only thrive in an environment where those needs can be met. These dogs in large part define you in a very real sense b/c they literally become such a large part of who you are & that goes far beyond “Ralph Lauren clothing & Cadillacs”.

For the hardcore trial folks, breeders, & many of the AKC/NAVHDA participants..this is not something they do “on the weekends”..it is a lifestyle that is present in their lives every single day.

When that is misunderstood..it is ALWAYS the dog that loses..always.

Anyhow..a friend parallels his 4/5’ tall split rail fence in the manner which bobman & GH have described using cattle wire..seems to work for him (he’s in the country)
Great post, thanks!

Sleepytrout

Post by Sleepytrout » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:02 pm

I have a 3/4 acre backyard with wood fence around perimeter in the middle of a large town. I work very unpredictable hours sometimes. My GSP stays in the back yard and I have yet to ever have him try to escape by any method. My fence is 6' tall and wood. I acclimated him to the fence at first with e-collar conditioning to stay "away". He has been in advertantly left with the gate unlatched and never once tried to exit gate. Constant training in this regard though.

Reckon I may catch some flack for it, but oh well. GSP does just fine, has never disturbed neighbors either. I have to work because I like to eat....but, that doesn't mean that I can't have and enjoy a dog. BTW, he likes for me to go to work....he likes to have a daily meal too! :D

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:20 pm

wouldn't an option be to crate train or keep the dog confined to a kennel inside the garage, and the once the dog gets a bit older, then work with teaching him to stay off the fence and in the yard???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wymeqIiyYU

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:21 pm

X-2 on the hot wire method. I run a wire on PVC posts around the bottom and about 6 inch out from the fence. Have to keep weeds down till dog is trained. Also hot wire 6 inch above the top on pvc posts. My current fence is only 5 ft. Use a capacitance discharge fencer. They are usually battery and solar powered. They do not just buzz like the AC chargers. They snap, snap, snap throwing a 1/2 inch long spark. Dog touch these wires once and never again. I fence an acre. Put a single wire around your garden and it is off limits to the dog, even without the charger connected. As a beekeeper we put a wire around our bee yard to stop bears. Drape bacon over the wire. Bear touches it and never comes back.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:58 pm

I also have a livestock hot wire around my fence about 1' off the ground and 6 inches away fromthe physical fence. My fence is 4 ft. My dogs can hear or smell or sense the fence somehow, and they avoid it even without touching it usually. Only the rambunctious newbies that are used to slamming into fences during play will sometimes bump it. But then they know. It's not super strong but plenty enough.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:05 pm

Several different options. The very best is to bite the bullet and pay for coyote rollers on the top of the fence. Cost will bring tears to your eyes, although I think that someone clever could figure out how to make them at home.

Less expensive is an invisible fence, place the radio wire on the top of the fence and train the dog to the shock collar. Make sure you test the batteries on the collar often.

You can use a jumping harness on the dog if there is absolutely nothing in the yard that he could get snagged on. My personal opinion is that a jumping harness is only for use when there is someone there to rescue the dog if he gets caught on anything.

My dogs have house privileges with dog doors. The wild puppy has her own secure kennel and then an ex-pen inside the house so that she can go in and out but does not have run of the house. You could put in a dog door and then confine the dog to a laundry room or kitchen, so he can get inside and not run wild in the house. Or a dog door into the garage.

A fence topper that leans inward should stop the dog from jumping out. Like on top of a prison. If the HOA will allow it. The dog can get his front feet over if he is a jumper but has nothing to brace is back feet on to pull himself over.

If you have an escape artist be sure to rig the base of the fence so that the dog can't dig out.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:15 pm

oregon woodsmoke wrote:Several different options. The very best is to bite the bullet and pay for coyote rollers on the top of the fence. Cost will bring tears to your eyes, although I think that someone clever could figure out how to make them at home.

Less expensive is an invisible fence, place the radio wire on the top of the fence and train the dog to the shock collar. Make sure you test the batteries on the collar often.

You can use a jumping harness on the dog if there is absolutely nothing in the yard that he could get snagged on. My personal opinion is that a jumping harness is only for use when there is someone there to rescue the dog if he gets caught on anything.

My dogs have house privileges with dog doors. The wild puppy has her own secure kennel and then an ex-pen inside the house so that she can go in and out but does not have run of the house. You could put in a dog door and then confine the dog to a laundry room or kitchen, so he can get inside and not run wild in the house. Or a dog door into the garage.

A fence topper that leans inward should stop the dog from jumping out. Like on top of a prison. If the HOA will allow it. The dog can get his front feet over if he is a jumper but has nothing to brace is back feet on to pull himself over.

If you have an escape artist be sure to rig the base of the fence so that the dog can't dig out.
Never heard of coyote rollers before..a quick google search & voila..there they are..coyote rollers..brilliant :lol:

Good post