GWP x Small Munsterlander

travelingswift

GWP x Small Munsterlander

Post by travelingswift » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:51 am

Hi All!

Anybody ever seen a GWP crossed with a longer haired breed? I know that SMs aren't very common in the US so don't expect anybody to have exact experience with a GWP x SM but anybody able to predict based on genes what type of coat or size the litter may have on average? Or what range to expect within the litter?

A listing for this cross popped up on a local advertising board and I just can't really picture what the result may be. I'm not looking to acquire one, just satisfying my curiosity!
I've seen plenty of GWP x Lab or GWP x GSP but never a GWP with a longer haired breed so not sure what would dominate what genetically.

mnaj_springer

Re: GWP x Small Munsterlander

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:24 am

Genetics aren't just half of this, half of that. A first generation crossbreed litter is unpredictable. But I will make one prediction: they will have some liver in their coats haha.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:29 am

I don't know anything about that cross, but with lurchers, if a wire hair is breed to a straight hair, the pups will be either wire haired or ( more likely) a broken coat. Only not necessarily a wirehair like a GWP, it might be the type of rough coat that a Deerhound has. The Deerhound coat is exceptionally easy to take care of and is fairly rain-proof. It's not a bad coat. A broken coat is easy, too. Shorter and very hard, making for easy grooming.

Height could be anything. Height is one of the very few genes where the offspring can split the difference, so perhaps midsize between the two breeds, but no guarantee about that.

I don't think hunting styles are the same, so no telling what you will get there, except that if both parents are hunters, the pups should hunt, in one style or another.

I sure hope the breeding wasn't done deliberately.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:03 am

See some of these custom hunting breed crosses show up at the local shelter. Or premium priced in the want ads with a cute name. They might be good dogs. Might even turn out to be fine hunters. But for the money involved, I like to hedge my bets and get known genetic blends.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:31 am

I have a GWP X Lab that has a moderately long hard coat with fine hair on his beard and ears. His dad, the GWP,
had a pretty soft coat. Only my dogs beard is a problem for picking up burrs. His coat repels rain well, gives him good protection to cold and protects him from most thorny veg and barbed wire. He's a great family dog and I think a good upland and waterfowl dog, who learned to back on his own.