Black Mouth Cur Lines

Garrison

Black Mouth Cur Lines

Post by Garrison » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:10 am

Any experience with BMC lines? My wife and I are putting an offer in on some property that backs up to national forest, lots of coyotes and Lions in the area. My Dad lives near and has had cats on the property numerous times to try and get in the chicken coop and coyotes nightly. I have a newborn so was looking for a good all around farm dog that can hang out with the family and guard the property with our GSP. I have a cattle dog that used to be able to hear a mouse fart on the fence line and flat take care of business, he is a great dog and took his job seriously but was a little nippier then I would like around kids. He is getting up there in years, has a bad leg and needs to pass on the duties to the next generation. BMCs have caught my attention. For a general family farm dog would cow dog lines or treeing lines be a better fit, or???

Thanks
Last edited by Garrison on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougB

Re: Black Mouth Cur Lines

Post by DougB » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:27 am

What do the cats seem to prefer for dinner?

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:37 am

Rhode Island Red, haven't lost any dogs to the big cats. Lost a couple house cats and a small dog to the coyotes.

Last edited by Garrison on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:22 pm

Like how this guy is put together.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:07 pm

I always liked the look of that dog as well. But most of what you'll find in the way of cur dogs is going to be quite a bit smaller and much more agile than that fella.

Ladner and Hillis get the well earned reputation for being the go to guys for treeing/squirrel dogs, but make no mistake, dogs from both of those lines can do it all from squirrels, coons, to yotes, to hogs. There's also a quality line from a some folks up in Michigan and Ohio. While they certainly earn their reputation of the do it all dog, you have to be mindful when picking a line that some are more specialized than others with regards to the game they've been bred to play - hunters vs cattle with some lines crossing over to do both quite well.