e-collar and bird launcher

lpk_moe

Post by lpk_moe » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:03 am

I am looking to buy an e-collar and a remote bird launcher. I have been looking at the Tri-Tronics Sport PRO by Garmin. Since being new any recommendations on e-collar and remote bird launchers? The e-collar would have to be expandable for multiple dogs also.

Thanks
Daniel

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: e-collar and bird launcher

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Daniel -0

I have not looked into e-collars for some time, so I cannot offer much guidance there. I have a 20+ year old Tritronics Upland Special (upgraded to the EXP) that is still going strong.

I do have Dogtra remote launchers that have been remarkably reliable over the past 10-15 years. I originally bought two...many years ago and one is still functioning fine, with only battery replacement being necessary. The locator beeper on one recently stopped working, but the launcher part still works.

I bought a third launcher, a couple years ago and it also is working fine.

RayG

lpk_moe

Post by lpk_moe » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks Ray. I was leaning toward the dogtra remote launchers but wanted to get information from ones that have used them. Thanks again and also thanks for the pm I got also from another user.

Thanks
Daniel

marc

Post by marc » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Hi Daniel,

I have a Pro 550, and it's great. I would recommend it.

I also have a Dogtra remote launcher and a Higgins remote release. I use them together or singly. I get more use out of the Higgins release because I can open it ahead of time and pay attention to Mauser instead of the remote. If he pressures the bird, it will take off.

Rik

Post by Rik » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:19 pm

I have two DTS Launchers, and two Higgins Releasers. Loved the launchers. I had DTS electronics on them for several years. I found then to be very finicky. The transmitters failed every two years of pretty hard use. The remotes failed to launch every 7 or 8 times, the locator beepers failed after about 70 launches on two of them. I changed to a Sport Dog 1825 ecollar several years ago to get the vibration feature. I also bought the Sportdog launcher electronics at the same time and run them from the ecollar transmitter.

The launchers and releasers have been flawless. I really like the ecollar as well. It has worked perfectly for me. I do not like the method for changing modes to use all of the stim levels on the ecollar. But once setup for multiple dogs and the launcher/releasers it works very well. I've seen and heard that Sportdog collars aren't reliable for heavy use. Mine has been in regular daily use for three years without a burp except for user error.

Buying an entire launcher system from one manufacturer is probably $150 less than I paid for the DTS/Sportdog hybrid. If you use Higgins Releaser you'll have buy the electronics from DTS, Sportdog, Dogtra or Lion Country.

The DTS customer Service was excellent, Higgins service has never been needed, Sportdog customer service very good.

lpk_moe

Post by lpk_moe » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:29 pm

Thanks very helpful information

Schatzman

Post by Schatzman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:39 am

lpk_moe wrote:I am looking to buy an e-collar and a remote bird launcher. I have been looking at the Tri-Tronics Sport PRO by Garmin. Since being new any recommendations on e-collar and remote bird launchers? The e-collar would have to be expandable for multiple dogs also.

Thanks
Daniel
I have a Sport Pro and have retired it in favor of the Garmin 550. The big selling point to the 550 for me was the ability to select mid and high levels for each level. So if you set the knob to 2, you have the ability to do 2, 2.5, and 2.75. You can't do that on the Sport Pro. My dog is very sensitive so being able to work with 2 to a large degree was huge to me since 3 is frequently too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro