Female in heat

ROTTnBRITT

Female in heat

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:03 pm

My female started her heat the other day. This is her seconds, she was away with a trainer for her first one, so I didnt have to deal with it.

She is in a kennel next to a young male (8 months), not sure if he would bother her or not. But im thinking maybe I should bring her inside to keep her "safe" from my other males and any other wandering dogs in the neighborhood.

Would like to hear what some of you with more experience do when you have a female in season.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Female in heat

Post by polmaise » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:12 pm

Common sense and courtesy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:23 pm

I would bring her in. Amazing how a male can get to a female in ways you'd never imagine. :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:28 pm

Mine always stayed in their kennel run but it might differ depending how secure the run is, how many dogs there are wandering close by, or how she acts in the run. I never had a problem but it could happen.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Sharon wrote:I would bring her in. Amazing how a male can get to a female in ways you'd never imagine. :)
That's for sure!

reba

Post by reba » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:42 pm

A driven male dog can, has and will break into a house.

Yes, even through a glass window.......................

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:05 pm

Sharon wrote:I would bring her in. Amazing how a male can get to a female in ways you'd never imagine. :)
Yes! We had a chihuahua trying to dig under the fence to get at one of our setters that was in season. Luckily we have a mean little cow dog that ran interference :twisted:

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:40 am

Protect you girl at all times until she is through her heat. As noted above, a male dog will do anything to get at her, and she may also work to get to him....

If you blink, you may have a bunch of unwanted pups....

If you are not going to breed her, have her spade before her next heat....

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:55 pm

I've never seen it, but I've heard of a breeding taking place through a chainlink fence. The urge to procreate is a powerful one. That's why teenagers are so dumb sometimes.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:03 pm

I have never seen a successful breeding with out a tie and that doesn't happen through a fence. But I have heard that same story for the past 50 years or so.

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:57 pm

Not through a fence, but have seen a successful breeding without a tie.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:38 am

ezzy333 wrote:I have never seen a successful breeding with out a tie and that doesn't happen through a fence. But I have heard that same story for the past 50 years or so.
You do not need a Tie for a successful breeding. I have a trainer friend who says his male bred two females through the fence. I have a bit of a problem with that, but I do not kennel a female in estrus next to a male if I don't want her to breed.
I also don't see why if they can hook up through the fence, they would not get a tie. Might be a little uncomfortable but by the time they figure that out it is to late..................Cj

IANative

Post by IANative » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:03 am

ezzy333 wrote:I have never seen a successful breeding with out a tie and that doesn't happen through a fence. But I have heard that same story for the past 50 years or so.
I've heard that story, too. What I have seen is my 92lb Lab go thru a chainlink gate thru which the female in heat had been removed from the yard. I woke up the next morning to find my Lab sitting on my front porch. Walked around the side of the house to find a volleyball-sized hole stretched in the chainlink gate, ringed w/ yellow hair.

Thought to myself, "I've been really horny before, but..."

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:37 am

IANative wrote:
I've heard that story, too. What I have seen is my 92lb Lab go thru a chainlink gate thru which the female in heat had been removed from the yard. I woke up the next morning to find my Lab sitting on my front porch. Walked around the side of the house to find a volleyball-sized hole stretched in the chainlink gate, ringed w/ yellow hair.

Thought to myself, "I've been really horny before, but..."
This I believe, all of it!!!!!!

tweetergspgwp

Female in heat

Post by tweetergspgwp » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:47 pm

When my females come in heat if bring them in and keep them under lock and key until there cycle is over. I keep a very close watch on them so as not to have an unwanted breading. Not saying it's a perfect solution but I would never have a female in heat next to let alone be in the same area of a male. I let them out to do their business i.e. Bathroom then I bring them back in.

TweeterGSP Cory Mehringer

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Meller wrote:Not through a fence, but have seen a successful breeding without a tie.
Me too.