Scratch my Last post......

corkieb

Scratch my Last post......

Post by corkieb » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:02 am

Ok fellas I know I said I was leaning hard towards Getting a GSP in my last post. But after thinking about it and doing some more research I have opened back up to some other breeds. One that has been close to the top of the list is the Brittany. I decided that when the time come I will most likely get another golden for water fowling so being a good water dog is not as important (not that britts are bad water dogs). Also as you know about the only wild bird hunting we have in Louisiana is woodcock and in talking with some more seasoned woodcock guys they seem to really like the Britts. So does anyone have any suggestions on good reputable Brittany breeders in the Louisiana or texas area? Not scared to travel or ship a dog but would rather stay close.

NEhomer

Re: Scratch my Last post......

Post by NEhomer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:03 am

My last two gun dogs were brittanys.

.....get a setter!

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:27 am

NEhomer wrote:My last two gun dogs were brittanys.

.....get a setter!
x2 :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:07 pm

-1 Britts are a good choice as is a good dog of most any breed but the Britt would fit your criteria very well

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:46 pm

Ezzy is right. A britt would be just as good of a choice as any other bird dog breed. With good breeding behind them, they all can get the job done. After that it comes down to what breed fits the requirement for the task at hand and personal preference.

corkieb

Post by corkieb » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Another reason is the wife also likes the Britts so it wont take much convincing on my end. 8)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:47 pm

WEll then there's no question. A happy wife is a happy life. :)

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:07 pm

So sorry
20151206_151509-1-2.jpg
IMG_1288_zps41ddfb1c.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:30 pm

Get a grif. good water dog, good upland and the most entertaining breed I've ever seen. They just seem happy and fun even when they are dead serious at work.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:05 pm

fishvik wrote:Get a grif. good water dog, good upland and the most entertaining breed I've ever seen. They just seem happy and fun even when they are dead serious at work.
A Griff wouldn't be my choice for LA summers

corkieb

Post by corkieb » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:10 pm

greg jacobs wrote:So sorry
20151206_151509-1-2.jpg
IMG_1288_zps41ddfb1c.JPG
Haha I'm just keeping options open. The gsp is definitely still in play. I just want to do as much research as posible before I pull the trigger on such a big decision. After all it will be with me for a long time. My dogs are always family first. Beautiful dogs greg!!!!
Last edited by corkieb on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corkieb

Post by corkieb » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:14 pm

Need reputable britt breeders. I know the Britt guys have some reputable suggestions.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:56 pm

Brittanys make great family dogs. They may be crazy outdoors but when they come inside they are very mellow.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:41 am

http://www.lescarbotkennels.com

If i were to get a brittany puppy, I would look at the above. I am GSP person though :D even with a GSP i do have a lab also. Not because i need one, but because i wanted one. Dogs are very addictive...

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:44 am

I helped a friend buy an adult from ezzy years ago. Comet is their dream dog. They loooove that dog. And spoil him. He is fat but that their fault not his, and he is a great house dog and hunter.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:59 am

Shorthairs can be water dogs. Check out the wake, the white water, and she is so flat that her tail shows above the water. She is faster in the water than most. I won't put her in 32° water though.
rsz_img_9891_zps2e4ac5e1-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

corkieb

Post by corkieb » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:31 am

greg jacobs wrote:Shorthairs can be water dogs. Check out the wake, the white water, and she is so flat that her tail shows above the water. She is faster in the water than most. I won't put her in 32° water though.
I have seen it with my own eyes. That's why they are on my short list.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:05 am

In all reality I have considered changing breeds but I have had Shorthairs so long that it is just to late in the game to change. Both my boys have shorthairs. Don't think they would ever let me live it down.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:42 am

greg jacobs wrote:Shorthairs can be water dogs. Check out the wake, the white water, and she is so flat that her tail shows above the water. She is faster in the water than most. I won't put her in 32° water though.
For sure! My GSP has a retriever HRC title even. I just wanted to train a lab because I like training and I like dogs.

On cold winters the GSPs do not do quite as well in the Arkansas pit blinds full of ice. They need a vest and more caution must be used. Some days are just too cold to risk. The other side of that is that for Dove hunting everyone wants to take their lab out for early season hunting and it's too hot! But my GSPs do pretty well with Dove season as long as we sit in the shade and have plenty of water. and people use common sense! Really it's all just about what you do MOST and what dog you want to spend your time with. In my case which dogs plural. LOL!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:46 am

I have a buddy that has a fantastic Boykin that hunts in hot weather flushing for quail and peasants, and then also dove hunting. Then he does waterfowl too. Smart little dog. But I have met some Boykin's you could not pay me to own, also. They won't be pointing dogs though, of course.

corkieb

Post by corkieb » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:15 pm

mountaindogs wrote:
For sure! My GSP has a retriever HRC title even. I just wanted to train a lab because I like training and I like dogs.

On cold winters the GSPs do not do quite as well in the Arkansas pit blinds full of ice. They need a vest and more caution must be used. Some days are just too cold to risk. The other side of that is that for Dove hunting everyone wants to take their lab out for early season hunting and it's too hot! But my GSPs do pretty well with Dove season as long as we sit in the shade and have plenty of water. and people use common sense! Really it's all just about what you do MOST and what dog you want to spend your time with. In my case which dogs plural. LOL!
Dove hunting is actually one of the reasons I am thinking about Gsp. My golden does good but I only take her on short trips because the heat is just too much down here.