Dog jacket

Djanes

Dog jacket

Post by Djanes » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:02 am

I was wondering what style of jacket I should get for my GWP? He was in his first light wet snow the other day and it was only 30 degrees and he was shivering after 20 minutes. It was his first real cold weather experience being a Florida dog but won't be his last either. He has a pretty naked belly and a lighter then average coat for the breed. Really just a little heavier then a short hair. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

And yes it snowed where I am in Montana on September 12th.

luvthemud

Re: Dog jacket

Post by luvthemud » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:22 pm

http://doggiewetsuits.com/m/

Pretty sure this is where I ordered from when i needed a vest for my small GSP...very happy with it. It even held up during a late season hunt where we were in some pretty thick stuff for a while.

Disclaimer: I ordered from them before they spun their dog business on its own, so things may have changed.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:02 pm

My favourite vest for upland work on the GSP and both Britts is the Rivers West H2P dog vest from Ugly Dog Hunting. It is waterproof, breathable fleece which keeps them very much warmer and is rugged too. I just wish it was about 4 to 6 inches longer on the top of the back to give better coverage to the back muscles between the last rib and the tail. Rivers West also makes the vest in a cut which will fit Labs. My 60 lb Gsp takes an XL, and the 40 lb Britts take an L. One dog wears Hi Viz Green, and two wear Blaze. Blaze is more visible, but the green stands out well too. Nobody is going to think your dog is a coyote.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:23 am

At 32° my shorthairs are fine as long as they are running. They don't get cold till we get back to the rig and are standing around. For cold weather or thin ice situations I use the cabelas neoprene vest. You can cut more around the front legs and underneath in front of the back legs. Sylmar also makes some tough vests.

rsz_20151218_123641-1-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Djanes

Post by Djanes » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:27 pm

Thanks guys,

How is that fleece in the rivers west jacket with burs?

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:03 pm

Save your money, your dog doesn't need a jacket.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:16 pm

Garrison wrote:Save your money, your dog doesn't need a jacket.

Agreed. I never used one so can't say anything about quality but I do know I never had a need for one.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:31 pm

Guess everyone has an opinion. Personally when I'm around thin ice where my dog could break through or hunting in 5° and colder I'll go ahead and put a vest on them. Whether they need it or not. Wonder how many dogs have died falling through the ice not to speak of their owners trying to save them. My son and I broke ice up over our waists one cold ___ morning to rescue my dog. Thank the Lord it wasn't deeper. I'm thinking the protection and flotation of a neoprene vest could make a difference on whether my dog survives or not in the right situation.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:22 am

I've actually been in freezing cold water twice to pull a dog out. The other time I had a four month old pup fall between two logs and couldn't climb back out and just clung there. That time the water was only crotch deep. After twice I guess I have a healthy respect for the situations a hunting dog can get into when ice or even 32° water is involved. Even when ice is generally thick enough moving water can leave thin spots. Guess ice freaks me out. Anything that might buy me more time is worth it in my opinion.

reba

Post by reba » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:25 pm

Vest or no vest it is up to you; however there are some things I would like to point out.

Some vests will rub a dog in the arm pit area.

Most vests will pick up trash, stickers, sticks, burs etc and cause problems for your dog.

There are times your dog will get a vest hung up in the brush or hopefully not on a snag in the middle of the river.

Just saying to be careful.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:13 am

Garrison wrote:Save your money, your dog doesn't need a jacket.
The best thing you can do for your GWP is start leaving him outside all day. If he has an unheated place to get out of wind and precip, being a coated breed he will develop a suitable coat. I only put a vest on my GWP when we are cold weather duck hunting.

Djanes

Post by Djanes » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:34 pm

The problem with leaving him outside to grow a thicker coat is that he lives in Florida. It was 88 degrees on Christmas Day last year.

Anyway I do appreciate everybody's input.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Djanes wrote:The problem with leaving him outside to grow a thicker coat is that he lives in Florida. It was 88 degrees on Christmas Day last year.

I'm sorry I thought you said you moved to Montana.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:51 pm

Burrs would probably stick less on a neoprene vest than on the fleece one, but we haven't had too much trouble with the fleece; no rubbing either. You might find that one fleece and one neoprene vest would let you be ready for pretty much anything that comes up. I think I'm going to try a Cabela's neoprene on my GSP for water work. Hope you find a vest that fits your pooch.

Djanes

Post by Djanes » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:58 pm

No problem fishbik, I understand the confusion. I'm just in Montana for the month, and I will be traveling to other cold climates with my dog during hunting season. My goal is to move to Montana just have to convince the wife.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Djanes wrote:The problem with leaving him outside to grow a thicker coat is that he lives in Florida. It was 88 degrees on Christmas Day last year.

I live in Southern California and hunt a shorthair in some bitter cold late season northern Nevada hunts and have experienced a few single digit mornings in Illinois. I can see a difference between my dog and dogs/pups that have been hardened off for the winter for sure. They are on more feed and are much more comfortable just hanging out. When they are hunting there is no difference at all, they are all hot and breathing hard. As soon as we are done he is wiped off and put in a warm dog box. I would be more afraid of my dog overheating with a vest then getting too cold without. Don't do any duck hunting.