What is going on??!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

What is going on??!

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:19 pm

I need the wisdom of the experienced on here.

My almost 11 year old setter has had a drastic change in behaviour. She has never been a problem in any way.
Lately ,she has started whining/crying in the night and beating on the door to the upstairs where we are sleeping. I've ignored her until I can stand it, at which time I have crated her , and heard no more.(The second dog is found sleeping through the noise so I know its not him.)

To night I went out for a couple hours ; I left my dogs in the downstairs as I have for her for 11 years.

When I came home , I thought there had been a murder, The whole kitchen floor to the door was heavily spotted in blood,; the door itself was scratched almost through and was covered in blood.

I checked her out and her paws were raw.

My thoughts:

Late age separation anxiety? I'm never heard of it coming on in late life.

Not mini strokes etc as it only happens when she is alone.

Your ideas?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: What is going on??!

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:48 pm

That sounds like she is in pain and is needing what comfort she can find. Hard to say but it may be time if that is her quality of life prospect. I'm sitting here with a 12 year old that has changed completely and Is possibly getting to that point also.

Ezzy

welsh

Post by welsh » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Anxiety, changes in sleep patterns including not sleeping at night, and urinary incontinence are all symptoms of canine cognitive dysfunction (doggie dementia). Affects half of dogs 11 and older. Might be worth considering.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:32 pm

It sounds like an exam by the vet is in order to rule out physical problems. I would have a thyroid panel done, since middle aged to older dogs can develop deficiencies that result in behavioral changes; check out the work of Dr. Jean Dodds.

The vet could also give an opinion about cognitive disorder in older dogs. There is a medication that can help (anipryl?).

In the meantime, is there a reason the dog cannot be upstairs? In my own experience, I've found it's easier on everybody to relax rules for the oldsters and allow them to choose their own comfort as long as it isn't harmful to them or too destructive to our home.

I hope you find an answer for your old girl soon.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:38 am

I agree that pain of some kind is probably the root cause of this behavioural change. I've got an 11 years old cocker here that is now very deaf, that seems to cause him to have occasional anxiety attacks but they are not as bad as you have to deal with.

Bill T.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:50 am

She's in pain or shutting down and asking you for help.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:10 am

Ask your Vet, if using fluoxetine (Prozac) might help with anxiety.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:44 am

I am sorry for what you and your pal are going through. It is so hard to watch our best friends age. When I read your comments I thought maybe she had a problem with her eyesight or maybe her hearing, something that came on fast. But I think the others commenting above probably are closer to the problem.

I currently have a 12 year old Golden who has fought of cancer for over two years. But her hips and shoulders are going and we are now starting her on some pain meds, so her time is getting very limited. She was my first, really great gun dog! We have had so many great times hunting and running hunt tests, she is a special girl and I will miss her. She is still happy and only hurts when she walks, and we can treat this for a time....

Good Luck

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:45 pm

I really appreciate the PMs and answers here. You've helped me to prepare for what I know is to come.

Her Mother lived to 13 1/2 so I was expecting.....Lady is still working hard in the field , happy , so I wasn't expecting this.
(Never make assumptions is the lesson for me. Never had a dog die the same way.)

I'll see the vet this week and take a list of your ideas to discuss with her. I'll let you know in a couple weeks the results.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:55 am

sounds like a Vet visit is in order.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:21 am

I have three teenagers right now and I believe as they grow older they become insecure and follow me where ever I go. My oldest wants access to every room I'm in. She shows no signs of pain but is experiencing muscle atrophy. I let them have the run of the house as they cause no problems.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:59 pm

kninebirddog wrote:sounds like a Vet visit is in order.
Saw the vet to day. Not a thyroid problem as she has no signs of a thyroid problem.

Vet thinks its cognitive decline( brain) , as others organs are fine so I'll just wait and see.

(Can't let her have the run of the house as she is incontinent , otherwise I would.)

FYI:

hypothyroidism:
Symptoms:

Lethargy
Generalized weakness
Inactivity
Mental dullness
Unexplained weight gain
Hair loss (alopecia)
Excessive hair shedding
Poor hair growth
Dry or lusterless haircoat
Excessive scaling
Recurring skin infections
Intolerance to cold
Tilting of head to one side (uncommon)
Seizures (uncommon)
Infertility (uncommon)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Thanks for the update, and best wishes for a recovery.

Just throwing this out there, not necessarily for your dog right now, but might help others sometime, that bloodwork for thyroid function including antibodies can diagnose sub-clinical cases. Behavioral changes, not always physical signs, can be an indicator.

welsh

Post by welsh » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Sorry to hear that, Sharon. On the positive side, a lot of the problems with cognitive decline might not affect the dog's quality of life so badly. She doesn't care where she pees, though your mileage may vary. The difficult things are the anxiety and so on where you know the dog is having a hard time.

I have read that keeping the dog active and mentally stimulated can help slow the decline, so she couldn't be in better hands.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Thanks. She still wants to run the bush/woods etc.. and I'll be making sure that happens. Woodcock will be showing up soon. :)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Sharon,
Are Purina products available to you?
I've had very good results feeding Purina Bright Mind to my 12 year old. It's formulated to help with mental decline. Although he wasn't being anxious like your dog, he was increasingly depressed and lethargic and disengaged. Within a couple of weeks on Bright Mind he showed a big improvement. Bright Mind's 'active ingredient' is Medium Chain Triglycerides, so if you can't get the Purina product, maybe your vet could help you figure out which/how much MCT foods to supplement with. MCTs are in palm and coconut oils, and dairy fats, but IDK the proportions dogs need.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:30 pm

She's on Urinary tract dog food right now. I guess I'd have to choose between incontinence and a bright mind. :)

Also interesting to hear you say behavioural changes can indicate a pre clinical thyroid problem. The vet had mentioned that too.

To day she had a good day swimming .

I appreciate all the help you have been Shags.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:03 am

Sharon, so sorry to hear your pup's troubles.

Best of luck to you~

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:28 am

Sharon wrote: I guess I'd have to choose between incontinence and a bright mind. :)
Geese, your husband might have to make the same choice some day!! Better save some of Shag's Purina. My wife has all ready stored several bags. She feels my mind's been gone for years but won't do adult diapers.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:50 am

GH, do like me. Your kids owe you a couple years of diaper duty, no?
Bright Mind for the old ball and chain, a barrel of bourbon for me. All good.