Buying Firearms Across State Lines

NEhomer

Buying Firearms Across State Lines

Post by NEhomer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:20 am

I see firearms for sale here at GDF and upon doing some reading, it's advised that all sales be conducted between FFLs in each State.

I have no experience in how this is done....ie, how do I find an FFL dealer willing to participate in the exchange? How much does it cost? Do most gun dealers participate in such deals? etc.

I'd be interested in other's experience with the process. I live in MA which is about as gun law crazy as it gets and I'm interested in a specific piece that I'd likely not find in a local gun store.

Any advice?

reba

Re: Buying Firearms Across State Lines

Post by reba » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:42 am

FFL to FFL

In other words; your FFL receives the firearm you have purchased that is sent from the sellers FFL.

Fees vary. Dealers that want to make money participate. A reasonable fee not counting the fees for the legal documents is about $50.

You pay seller up front. The FFL dealers do not get involved in the buying and selling exchange.

Sometime the FFL's involved will speak to each other on the telephone to get everything smoothed out. Most likely documents going in both directions.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:46 am

Great advice....thanks.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:48 am

Most gun retailers do gun transfers, cost varies . I just did a search in my state to find someone that does gun transfers, along with how much they charged and they filled me in on what to do. :)

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:53 am

Not a big deal at all..just call your local shop & put the shipper/sender together, a small fee gets it done painlessly.

The most important thing is for you to be diligent in reviewing the pc, copious numbers of pictures etc so you get a clear representation of what you will be receiving. Outdoor pics in natural light are good and be certain you hold a right of return. 3 days non firing for any reason is generally gratis amongst those actively buying/selling - you pay shipping both ways.

In the event it is not as described be prepared to eat the shipping. Consider yourself lucky if shipping is reimbursed should it come to that - it's not right (in the case of a faulty description), but it's just the way it is more often than not.

Considering the market this opens up as compared to local dealings..this is a small cost in reality.

Good luck

Rik

Post by Rik » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:28 pm

To find FFLs in your state, try this:
http://fflgundealers.net/transfer/massachusetts/

The online gun auction sites all have FFL lists and ratings from buyers and sellers.

Fees vary from $20 to $75, and shotguns, rifles, pistols, revolvers and in Mass, large capacity magazines often have different rates. Also if your state has a sales tax it will be collected by the buyers FFL.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:15 pm

For long guns you do not have to have a FFL ship the gun. You can do it yourself as long as it's being shipped to a FFL. You have the buyer's FFL send you a copy of his license and then ship it to him. Keep the copy for your records. For handguns it's another story. Those have to be shipped from FFL to FFL.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:48 pm

I found a couple that do it for $25 & $30 (pawn shops). If a second is involved for the seller another charge (may not need two). Shipping usually $30 - $40. Could turn into a hundred plus.

reba

Post by reba » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:46 pm

S.D. and MA are very different states.

"I live in MA which is about as gun law crazy as it gets"

You may be required FFL to FFL

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:For long guns you do not have to have a FFL ship the gun. You can do it yourself as long as it's being shipped to a FFL. You have the buyer's FFL send you a copy of his license and then ship it to him. Keep the copy for your records. For handguns it's another story. Those have to be shipped from FFL to FFL.
reba wrote:S.D. and MA are very different states.

"I live in MA which is about as gun law crazy as it gets"

You may be required FFL to FFL

Exactly.

Buds gunshop dot com has a good current list of dealers that do transfers.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:43 am

Thanks for all the information everyone~

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:57 am

Dakotazeb wrote:For long guns you do not have to have a FFL ship the gun. You can do it yourself as long as it's being shipped to a FFL. You have the buyer's FFL send you a copy of his license and then ship it to him. Keep the copy for your records. For handguns it's another story. Those have to be shipped from FFL to FFL.
That is correct, also a drivers license or id from the person who owned/shipped the gun. in some cases such as here in california, we are mandated to collect sales tax as well. So here there is my fee, a state fee and sales tax to collect. i charge $50 which is relatively low for this area. believe me by the time i receive the gun and unpack age it, have the customer look at it, do the transfer paperwork, store the gun in the safe for 10 days, do the follow up paperwork to release we are not making that much money off of the transfers. $100 would be good, but i like to help people get the through process and save a few bucks buying some very nice mostly used guns online.