The cooper's are back

greg jacobs

The cooper's are back

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:27 pm

My pigeons free fly alot. If a redtail is sitting in the trees the pigeons will land in the very top of a favorite tree and watch close. The dang cooper hawks are back already. They try to ambush the pigeons while getting some sun on the Ridgeline of the house. Not sure if they can outfly the pigeons once they are up to full speed but they are really sneeky they will fly close to the ground then shoot up over the house trying to get one sitting or just taking off. They will also sit near the coops and stare. Wonder if the survives will breed smarter faster pigeons. Have 3 coops ferals which are spookier, homers that are faster, white homers that are way to friendly and relaxed. They move from coop to coop so now I have a bunch of hybrids. Even had a stray homer move in and raised a couple batches with a red feral.

Urban_Redneck

Re: The cooper's are back

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:57 pm

The advice I got was fly them early before feeding or late before evening feeding to avoid the hawks, the owls still get one here and there.

There will always be losses.

reba

Re: The cooper's are back

Post by reba » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:00 pm

8 years ago I started out with 24 pigeons after eight months and they were breeding and I opened the loft and since then they have been free flyers.

The strangest thing is that now there is never more then 12 even though they are breeding like rats.

Between the dogs and hawks they have come to an understanding that 12 are allowed to provide a constant supply:-)