Dobb's puppy training tape

Gizzmo

Dobb's puppy training tape

Post by Gizzmo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:32 pm

Just wondering if any of you have watched Dobb's hotdog on a string tape if so was wondering how they attach the hot dog to the string? Every time I tried it the string would rip the hot dog in half and the puppy eats the pieces (pretty sure that is not the way it is supposed to work lol) and after the puppy points it if the string is still attached puppy tries to eat the string. Just thought it is something fun to do with a young pup that falls under the category 'can't hurt, might help.'

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Dobb's puppy training tape

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:30 pm

Have never seen this. "Hotdog on a string" sounds like a tracking drill, but from what you say they are using it as a pointing drill? Most of the "wing on a string" stuff for pointing drills is sight based and no need to use a hotdog. But again, I have not seen the video you speak of.

Gizzmo

Re: Dobb's puppy training tape

Post by Gizzmo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:59 am

You can look up a description of the drill in Dobb's training library on whoa training.
The claim is that it is not a sight pointing drill but more of just a trick with treats but it also teaches the pup to standstill with head high and feet still or it won't get the treat. I can see the merit in that.