Stomach Rash\allergy

BtheBrit

Stomach Rash\allergy

Post by BtheBrit » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:59 am

Hey everyone,

My dog goes on regular runs in the field and the past couple of times we went out she has broken out with a bunch of little red bumps on her stomach. About an hour after the run her stomach is full of little bumps. We had the vet look at them and they confirmed it was an allergy and gave us some pills for her to take. These bumps will go away by themselves after a handful of days if we don't do anything and eliminate her field time. She is a hunting dog and will be running through fields on a regular basis so I would like to find a cheaper option then buying pills from the vet every few weeks. My question is how have others went about dealing with a allergy your dog has gotten in the field? Would a dog vest help the issue?

Maybe give the dog Benadryl when she has a breakout?

The bumps don't seem to bother her to much.

Any advice is appreciated.

Meller

Re: Stomach Rash\allergy

Post by Meller » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:17 pm

Have you noticed if it lessened after a hard frost, sometimes that is all it takes; (kills the pollen in the grass, and weeds)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:43 pm

This time of year particularly there are sharp plant seeds shedding that aggravate the dogs belly/arm pits. Some use a dog vest ; I use benedryl.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Sharon wrote:This time of year particularly there are sharp plant seeds shedding that aggravate the dogs belly/arm pits. Some use a dog vest ; I use benedryl.
Some use both :D

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:14 pm

could be just abrasions from briars and twigs, could also be poison ivy or poison oak. seems to be a common problem and the subject of many previous posts and threads.

jspring011

Post by jspring011 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:34 pm

I've had this happen with my shorthair around this time of year. Some of the red bumps also look like little whiteheads. If I give her a bath as soon as we get home they seem to not show up. The first few times they showed up the would go away almost immediately after a bath. As others have said it seemed to not be a problem later in the year with frost/colder temps.

ghideon

Post by ghideon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:46 am

Did they eventually fall off into her fur and need to be plucked out? If so it sounds like hives, and my GSP pup has had them.

If you can confirm it's allergy related, talk to your vet about Zyrtec. I tend to give my GSP Zyrtec during the day and Benadryll at night. If your vet is fine with it, I'd give her Zyrtec before you take her out into the field.

A vest would help, but you'd need to clean/wash it regularly. You wouldn't want the allergens to build up in the vest. I had a similar issue with a nylon collar. I've switched to a metal one that's easier to clean.