Introducing new pup to current dog/s

DarbyWHOA

Introducing new pup to current dog/s

Post by DarbyWHOA » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:14 pm

While growing up my dad always seemed to get alpha females who were the nicest dogs, hunted hard but felt the need to put any female on their back. This, I'm a little nervous whenever dogs meet. I have introduced our puppy to my 3yo GSP and it went great. She didn't care too much and went about her way. However, she's now trying to play very ruff with the pup.

What should I do to teach her to calm down a bit and not be all over her?

Thanks!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Introducing new pup to current dog/s

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:43 pm

As long as it is play I wouldn't be concerned.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Playing is normal and good for social skills. But you have to recognize what is play and what isn't. Dogs playing have exaggerated movements and wasted motions. Playing dogs also will take turns being the "aggressor" while the other acts more submissive. Also, they will carry their tails as they would while happy and/or wag their tails.

When dogs actually fight it's quick with no wasted movement or motion. Their hair on their back may rise up and they won't "appear" happy. True aggression looks much different than play.

My two dogs play a lot and I let it go on. It tires them out (barely) and keeps them from bugging me non-stop. I only step in when they are getting too loud for my liking. Usually stepping in his a quick, firm "hey!" or I just say one of their names. It distracts them just enough to quiet them down.

Keep in mind these are mostly my opinions, and free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:23 pm

They have to work it out themselves. Stay out of it unless a dog is being harmed.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:59 am

what mn springer said. have observed that exact behavior in my boys. my old arthritic lab still loves to mix it up a little with the upstart poodle. as mns said, when they get a bit loud (esp the poodle) I tell them to knock it off and they back off.