GSP or Pudelpointer or?

gbanker

GSP or Pudelpointer or?

Post by gbanker » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:01 pm

After field trialing GSPs for a short while many years ago, and only owning pets since, I am ready to get a hunting dog.

She (will probably get a female) will be going to SD of a couple of weeks in the early fall for pheasants and then to AZ to hunt quail in the late fall through the winter. Maybe some of the alphabet club foot trials also.

At this point I'm 99% in favor of getting another GSP but the other day a friend mentioned Pudelpointers. Some research on the internet leads me to believe that they would be fine for SD weather but due to their coat they might not do so well in the warmer climate of AZ. Might the same apply to Drathaars, German Wirehaired Pointers, Wirehaired Pointing Griffons, etc?

Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks

Pheasanttracker

GSP or Pudelpointer or?

Post by Pheasanttracker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:37 am

gbanker wrote:After field trialing GSPs for a short while many years ago, and only owning pets since, I am ready to get a hunting dog.

She (will probably get a female) will be going to SD of a couple of weeks in the early fall for pheasants and then to AZ to hunt quail in the late fall through the winter. Maybe some of the alphabet club foot trials also.

At this point I'm 99% in favor of getting another GSP but the other day a friend mentioned Pudelpointers. Some research on the internet leads me to believe that they would be fine for SD weather but due to their coat they might not do so well in the warmer climate of AZ. Might the same apply to Drathaars, German Wirehaired Pointers, Wirehaired Pointing Griffons, etc?

Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks
I run a Pudelpointer and she is a great dog that I use for all upland and waterfowl. She is great in winter and water when my buddy's dog have chattering teeth. She runs hot and I would not take her to the south or warm SW states unless up in elevation or cool weather. That might just be my dog and others might have different opinion. For me I wanted a dog who likes to swim with ice in the water or spend all day hunting pheasant in zero degree temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randomnut

Re: GSP or Pudelpointer or?

Post by randomnut » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:55 am

I'm sure a dog used to northern climates would have trouble in southern heat. I have Drahthaars, and they are fine in the heat, but it's usually hot here, and they're acustommed to it.

We can go out on 90 degree days, and as long as I stay close to water, we're good. When it gets below 70, they really get frisky. Below 55 or so, they're good all day.

Warrior372

Re: GSP or Pudelpointer or?

Post by Warrior372 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:41 am

I live in Boise, Idaho and prior to purchasing my current dog - a French Brittany - I explored several breeds. SW Idaho has several world class breeders various hunting breeds who have trial proven dogs and one of them is Cedar Woods Pudelpointers. Bob Farris is the breeder and is likely one of the foremost authorities on the breed in the world- you will see his dogs in many, many lines. One thing that is very noticeable with the breed is inconsistency in coat. If you go to a breeder around you it is immediately obvious. Cruise through Cedar Woods site - they have picture links to over 75 of their current, past and future breeding stock. Some have body coats that look short and smooth like a GSP and others have rough wiry coats like a wire haired pointer. I would have to think that this would heavily play into the dogs tolerance to hot and cold temps.