Distance Dog Food?

SCT

Distance Dog Food?

Post by SCT » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:26 pm

Have any of you tried Distance Dog Food?

Dakotazeb

Re: Distance Dog Food?

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 am

Saw this question posted on another forum. Looked up the food and it appears it was made by a musher and probably meant to be used mainly by mushers. The protein is 32% which isn't too bad but the fat content is 25%. That is really high. Probably good for mushing dogs during training and races but I personally feel 25% fat is too high for the average gun dog. But I guess if it works for your dog that's fine.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:46 am

Dakotazeb wrote:Saw this question posted on another forum. Looked up the food and it appears it was made by a musher and probably meant to be used mainly by mushers. The protein is 32% which isn't too bad but the fat content is 25%. That is really high. Probably good for mushing dogs during training and races but I personally feel 25% fat is too high for the average gun dog. But I guess if it works for your dog that's fine.
Just so you know...

There is documented evidence that a diet consisting of as much as 50% fat is quite healthy for a dog. For dogs that are pushing the limits of their strength and endurance on a regular basis, such as sled dogs, hounds, or heavily used bird dogs(guide string dogs, etc., that run day after day) the only thing that will keep weight on is fat. This is especially true if the exertion is done in cold weather, which, all by itself, will suck the energy out of the animal.

When I was hunting for five days a week for two months, I would supplement my two dogs with a quarter pound(or more) of pure beef fat, each day...just to keep them from turning into skeletons.

RayG

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:18 am

I have read that study Ray. I've tried a lot of high fat foods and always had to be careful about rations because too much can cause soft stools. Supposedly this food is better than many at that. I got my hands on a couple of bags and am trying it out right now. I've got some lean dogs that need it.

Steve

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:56 am

RayGubernat wrote:
Dakotazeb wrote:Saw this question posted on another forum. Looked up the food and it appears it was made by a musher and probably meant to be used mainly by mushers. The protein is 32% which isn't too bad but the fat content is 25%. That is really high. Probably good for mushing dogs during training and races but I personally feel 25% fat is too high for the average gun dog. But I guess if it works for your dog that's fine.
Just so you know...

There is documented evidence that a diet consisting of as much as 50% fat is quite healthy for a dog. For dogs that are pushing the limits of their strength and endurance on a regular basis, such as sled dogs, hounds, or heavily used bird dogs(guide string dogs, etc., that run day after day) the only thing that will keep weight on is fat. This is especially true if the exertion is done in cold weather, which, all by itself, will suck the energy out of the animal.

When I was hunting for five days a week for two months, I would supplement my two dogs with a quarter pound(or more) of pure beef fat, each day...just to keep them from turning into skeletons.

RayG
I have no reason to doubt your story. And I very high fat content food my be good for some dogs. Every dog has their own food that they seem to do better on. I know I couldn't feed it to my female Brittany as she will gain weight on anything over 16% fat even during hunting season. Thus I use a food (NutriSource) that is 26% protein and 16% fat and she does great on it year round.

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:48 pm

Ray has it right for energy go high fat, I supplement with satin balls while hunting hard, and feed a 26 protein , 16fat.