New vehicle

Jägermeister

New vehicle

Post by Jägermeister » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Well my truck got totaled (everyone is ok). So now I need to find a vehicle before the season opens. I'm looking for something reliable, safe, large enough for kids, 4wd/awd. I'm looking at the 4runners but my only question is what do you do with dogs you are not hunting? Idk how I feel about rolling down my windows or cracking them a little? Also, how many crates can you fit in the back 2 or 3? Anyways I will probably end up getting another truck but exploring other options out there as well.

NEhomer

Re: New vehicle

Post by NEhomer » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:59 am

Get both!

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:38 pm

Fourdoor truck, and dog box or crates.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:07 pm

Ford Expedition has room for everything (four crates easy), and doubles as a reliable upscale vehicle in non-bird season. Lots of used ones around.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:49 pm

Steve007 wrote:Ford Expedition has room for everything (four crates easy), and doubles as a reliable upscale vehicle in non-bird season. Lots of used ones around.
+1 for the Expeditiion. Bought mine new in 2004 and it's still running strong. Great hunting rig or family hauler.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:55 am

I had a blazer for years and have had trucks now for a long time. Would never go back to an enclosed vehicle with dogs. especially when they get skunked.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:16 pm

P&PGunsmith wrote:I had a blazer for years and have had trucks now for a long time. Would never go back to an enclosed vehicle with dogs. especially when they get skunked.
That is the one disadvantage of a SUV. Been in that situation several times with my Expedition. However, I personally prefer a SUV as my person vehicle and dog hauler. Gets darn cold up here in the Dakotas late in the season and I like having them inside.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:
P&PGunsmith wrote:I had a blazer for years and have had trucks now for a long time. Would never go back to an enclosed vehicle with dogs. especially when they get skunked.
That is the one disadvantage of a SUV. Been in that situation several times with my Expedition. However, I personally prefer a SUV as my person vehicle and dog hauler. Gets darn cold up here in the Dakotas late in the season and I like having them inside.
Yep. And if you travel with them, even to the vet's, or compete in other dog sports in summer (or any hot weather) , air conditioning is critical.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:11 pm

I put my dog box in the back seat of my truck in bad weather. Only have one dog.

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:38 pm

My truck had an ARE cap on the back. It was awesome for season but I didn't like keeping my dog back there in the summer. I would usually end up letting him ride shotgun with the ac on blast. For those of you who have SUVs and hunt multiple dogs. What do you do if you need to let a dog rest and you are hunting different dogs? Just crack the windows?

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Jägermeister wrote:Well my truck got totaled (everyone is ok). So now I need to find a vehicle before the season opens. I'm looking for something reliable, safe, large enough for kids, 4wd/awd. I'm looking at the 4runners but my only question is what do you do with dogs you are not hunting? Idk how I feel about rolling down my windows or cracking them a little? Also, how many crates can you fit in the back 2 or 3? Anyways I will probably end up getting another truck but exploring other options out there as well.
I almost bought a 4runner trail premium last month. On paper, I believe it to be an extraordinary vehicle. It checks off all the boxes. Unfortunately, I thought the motor was underpowered and the throttle response was sluggish.

We ended buying the Jeep Unlimited Rubicon.

And then a week later, I bought a AEV Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cummings to replace a Chevrolet 3500 4x4 Crew Duramax that was totaled.

tweetergspgwp

New vehicle

Post by tweetergspgwp » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:01 pm

This is actually a good question. In 2011 I came into some money and I had decided it was time to get a vehicle and set up just for hunting with my dogs and or with out my dogs. I got a 2011 z71 Chevy Tahoe and took the back (3rd) from out. One only a small person could sit back there and second I had a police k9 box system set up back there. I also had the GPS systems CB system and everything I would need when hunting and running dogs. I love it. I'll post pics for y'all to see. It's not my daily driver I only use it when I'm taking my dogs anywhere, going hunting, camping, etc. As for the part on rolling down windows and or. Racking them for air. In my truck (my daily driver) I have a crew cab GMC Sierra and I took some screen for a storm door window part. Cut it to fit and cover the whole Window and put Velcro on the end and on the truck door. When the door is closed its stuck in place and I can roll the windows all the way down so the dogs can have the fresh air and I don't have to worry about them sticking there head out, jumping out, and or anything coming in or out of the truck. I also have the screen divider to keep them in the back seat that stops them from being able to jump to or get in the front seat. I will also take pics of this and post them in the morning for y'all to see.

TweeterGSP Cory Mehringer

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:21 am

I just went through the same exercise. Ended buying a Honda Ridgeline. It's roomy, comfortable has the biggest back seat area of trucks that size. The back seats fold up increasing usable space. It has a lockable trunk big enough for all my hunting stuff. The tail gate flips down and to the side like the old station wagons. I cannot tell you how useful that is.

It's full time AWD which I think is better than 4WD. Now I'm not out mud splashing just running up and down dirt paths and a cross a field here and there so the Tacoma/Nissan/Chevy mid size 4wd trucks really didn't offer me anything in addition. And driving every day the Honda beats them all to heck on the road.