Launcher help

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Launcher help

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:54 am

I have 3 old style remote Dogtra quail/pigeon launchers. They are rechargeable. Recently 2 of them have started to not launch every time, even when fully charged. They turn on correctly, tone works every time, and the launcher makes a lick sound and moves a bit but not enough to open. This only happens about ever 3rd launch but randomly. The rest of the time it works correctly. ( :evil: :evil: You know what happens when the dog gets to jump in on the bird too many times?!?)
I took them apart and tested the solenoid, and it always works when I test it. But something has happened to keep it from pulling back enough to open.

Please, if anyone has experience with this issue, tips or thoughts would be great. New launchers are not in the budget and I have three dogs needing their use right now.

Vman

Re: Launcher help

Post by Vman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:06 am

Batteries are the first thing I would look at. Have they ever been replaced? Also check the male plug wire. if old they can get cracks in them and you may not be getting full voltage. I have had to replace them. If in the open position, your soliniod should work and move the full distance. IF it does when open and not when closed I would suspect weak batteries.
If you have one receiver that is consistent, put it on one of the launchers that does not work. If it works, then you know it is the receiver, if it still does not work it would point to the launcher wire and solinoid.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:31 am

Good ideas thanks

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:34 pm

Sometimes the wire that pulls the catch back gets bent and needs to be straightened for a good pull. If the batteries are OK, something is probably bent on the launcher.

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:25 pm

What Vman and gonehuntin said.

Over the last 12 years I've had this same problem many times. Always turned out to be the battery, even if it seemed to be ok; or the bent wire even if it looked ok.

In cold weather the batteries potential and current are frequently too low to operate the solenoid quickly enough. In hot weather the wire often expands enough to fail to operate. I replaced the wires with slightly larger diameter wire to prevent this. I also keep the batteries indoors to warm for a few hours before using them in cold weather. Also make sure the control box is securely bolted down, even slight movement can cause intermittent failure.

For what they cost launchers should not be so finicky. I've had most problems with DTS and Dogtra. I now use DTS Launchers and Sportdog Electronics and have had fewer failures.