Dog Allergies

IANative

Dog Allergies

Post by IANative » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:46 am

Those of you who are allergic to your indoor hunting pups, how do you combat the allergies?

zrp

Re: Dog Allergies

Post by zrp » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:44 am

Loratadine daily.

ghideon

Post by ghideon » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:44 am

Is it environmental?

When we first got our pup we thought my wife was allergic to him. This was during springtime. It was serious enough we considered giving him away to my mother (she would have gladly taken him).

In the end it was due to the allergens he picked up on his walks/runs, especially since it was springtime. During the summer/fall seasons this sensitivity dropped off, but she still has flareups from him. He has his own flareups as well.

IANative

Post by IANative » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:54 am

No, it's definitely dog-specific. I've suffered from seasonal allergies most of my life, so I know the difference. This is a specific issue that begins with itchy, irritated eyes, then moves south to mess up my sinus cavities and eventually close off my nasal passages. My 9-yr old Boykin has been an outdoor dog for most of his life. We recently built a new house in an exclusive neighborhood that does not allow fences or outdoor dogs, and combined with his advancing age, we decided to bring him inside. HE has acclimated quite well; I have not. He's a prolific shedder of very fine, short hairs (I keep him groomed down fairly tight), and I have a day bed for him right next to my desk (I work from home). It took me a while to figure out HE was the problem... I just thought it was due to the move and local allergens in the new 'hood. However, after moving his day bed out of my office and to the other end of the house and limiting my proximity to him in the house in general, my symptoms have abated considerably, though not completely. Of course, he doesn't understand why he's been banished and shunned.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:16 pm

See an allergist. Make an appointment quickly. There are definitely drugs and desensitization methods that can (mostly) solve the problem. Presuming zrp's suggestion has been tried.

You owe it to your dog.