Whistle Training

ben33127

Whistle Training

Post by ben33127 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:08 pm

Curious if anyone uses 2 whistles for different commands. Example being 1 pealess burst for whoa-1 ref whistle burst for hear. Curious if dogs can differentiate.

Most of the people Ive hunted with use 1 whistle with different burst for different commands.

Timewise65

Re: Whistle Training

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:56 am

No, never considered using multiple whistles....only one whistle..............

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:27 pm

I once forgot my whistle ( a Roy Gonia) and had to borrow an Acme Thunderer. My extremely well-trained Gordon ignored it completely, though he was as perfect as always on voice and hand signals.

Dogs learn your whistle and ignore the others. Don't confuse him with more than one. And get two of the same brand. You never know when you'll forget one.

Jared77

Post by Jared77 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:19 pm

They can differentiate just like they understand different voice commands. Dogs don't speak English or Portuguese, they associate a sound we make with a behavior we teach them. Retriever folks teach a whistle sit but a hand gesture to take a cast. 2 very different forms of communication why wouldn't 2 different whistle tones be taught to mean different things?

That being said though keeping track of what commands go with each whistle would be difficult and probably mean a lot of slow commands as you're fumbling for different whistles. I see it more as a matter of convenience for the handler than anything to do with the dog.

I can see training with a traditional pea type whistle for say water work and an acme whistle for upland work if you had a flushing dog but that's the only way Id run 2 whistles.

To each their own though

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:39 pm

ben33127 wrote:Curious if anyone uses 2 whistles for different commands. Example being 1 pealess burst for whoa-1 ref whistle burst for hear. Curious if dogs can differentiate.

Most of the people Ive hunted with use 1 whistle with different burst for different commands.
Absolutely, the acme 640 is a standard continental training whistle with one side pealess and the other with a pea. The former is used like a normal multi-command burst differentiated whistle while the later can used for whoa/halt.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:59 pm

I have used the acme 6-40 with all of our 6 gundogs and each dog showed an individual response to the two tones. I use 2 short on the pealess for whoa, and one long on the pea for recall. I have (of course) used the wrong end when in a hurry and the dogs usually reacted obediently to the command which I had originally intended. While hunting along with others, I have had dogs mistakenly heed whistle commands when the tone was was entirely different, but the blasts were 2 short or one long. I think a single whistle like the Roy Gonia can be just as effective as a two tone whistle. Use whatever is most comfortable for you, and the dog will hold up his end of the bargain.

reba

Post by reba » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:17 pm

I use a sheep herder's whistle, so my whistle does not sound like anyone else's

I have a bunch of them. One hanging on the rearview mirror of every truck and one at the front door, back door and side door. Oh yes the one around my neck.