They finally caught him. Roysetters

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: State?...The one where ruffed grouse were.

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:49 am

Does UJ Brad prefer deer or apple pie more? :wink:

QuillGordon
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:21 am
Location: Utah

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by QuillGordon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:15 am

Az Draht wrote:Quill,

Keep in mind, you may be a special case. Your photos drive a lot of traffic to the other sight. Brad needs you there.
I disagree
I need the UJ to display my pics;-)

User avatar
MNTonester
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:51 pm
Location: Duluth, MN

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by MNTonester » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Quill,
Keep in mind, you may be a special case. Your photos drive a lot of traffic to the other sight. Brad needs you there.
I very much enjoy Quill and a number of the other hunters who post pictures at UJ. That is not the only reason I go to that site. I go there for the same reason I come to this one - I enjoy the discourse (mostly) of the visitors there. I'm a bit taken aback at the glee shown at the misfortune of Roysetter - not that he didn't bring it on himself, but I think it unbecoming of the generally civil people here who are pounding this story into the ground.

slistoe
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3611
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by slistoe » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:18 pm

MNTonester wrote:misfortune of Roysetter
I really have no stake in this game, but getting caught breaking game laws is "misfortune"?????

User avatar
SetterNut
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:16 am
Location: Manhattan, KS

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by SetterNut » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:13 pm

I don't know Roy personally, but he always seemed to come across as a stand-up guy.
Roy screwed up whether than it was intentional or not it doesn't matter to the law.

The guy takes pictures of his hunts, dogs and shares them with others. He hunts a lot and has well breed dogs, so he is going to be able to get his dogs into birds more often than most and his dogs are going to be very skilled. Bragging, I wouldn't consider it that.

User avatar
displaced_texan
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:57 pm
Location: Mobilehoma

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:09 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Quill, I think UJ caters to a very select group. It is VERY heavily moderated and as a result some very, very, good threads get post holed before they have been given the chance to ever fully develop. There is rarely any useful training info posted there. It is mainly a social board. But, it's Brad's board sad he can run it any way he chooses.
This place is moderated very poorly and has it's flaws too.

Personally I'd take consistent heavy moderation to some of the crap here.

I don't look to forums for training help, I look to them to interact with people who have similar interests.

User avatar
Up North
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:14 pm
Location: Helena, Montana

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by Up North » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:12 pm

displaced_texan wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Quill, I think UJ caters to a very select group. It is VERY heavily moderated and as a result some very, very, good threads get post holed before they have been given the chance to ever fully develop. There is rarely any useful training info posted there. It is mainly a social board. But, it's Brad's board sad he can run it any way he chooses.
This place is moderated very poorly and has it's flaws too.

Personally I'd take consistent heavy moderation to some of the crap here.

I don't look to forums for training help, I look to them to interact with people who have similar interests.
I agree!

HUNTS
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:29 pm
Location: Paradise Lost

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by HUNTS » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:04 am

QuillGordon wrote:Geezus Wyo give it a rest... It's fun to read these bird dog forums. They can be helpful & entertaining when jonesing to get out in the field or in my case the hills. Brad has personally covered my "bleep" when I needed it most and I'm convinced he would do it for any of his members. I respect him for running a tight ship. I've seen when things are left to work themselves out and those forums are now dead. Yer like a armchair quarterback here yellin at television to run the sweep. I have no idea what it takes to run a successful forum. Do you?
If so give it a go and will all sit back in our armchair and criticize...
This all goes back to the age old saying of don't judge a man until u have walked a mile in his shoes
I find this post interesting. I remember a PM from you a few years ago encouraging me to hang out on a certain western bird dog forum(now defunct). Your remarks about UJ were not particularly flattering at that time. Now you're carrying water for UJ. Whatever...

QuillGordon
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:21 am
Location: Utah

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:28 am

I find this post interesting. I remember a PM from you a few years ago encouraging me to hang out on a certain western bird dog forum(now defunct). Your remarks about UJ were not particularly flattering at that time. Now you're carrying water for UJ. Whatever...
Dear Whatever
I apologize to you for offending with my post & the supposed carrying of water for the UJ. My non-flattering words probably went like this; I felt the UJ had too much of a eastern flair and I wish it had more western influence. No big surprise as I still feel this way. This doesn't mean I didn't respect Brad for running a tight ship. There are reasons why Western Bird Dogs & Utah Bird Dogs failed, not enuf interest, poor moderation & too many hooligans, myself included
To get back on the subject I was hoping for a Roysetter post explaining his side of the story

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:20 am

Quill, when you hunt with a party of people events may occur that are not of your doing.

QuillGordon
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:21 am
Location: Utah

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:58 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Quill, when you hunt with a party of people events may occur that are not of your doing.
True, but if their headed to the graybar motel I'll be there to bail them out...

User avatar
fourtrax
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:15 pm
Location: MN North Shore

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by fourtrax » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Quill,
This has been somewhat of a one sided narrative by others here. (back stabbing etc).
Has Roysetters ever posted on this forum or been a member here?

I think a two year hiatus to a sport we love is sobering no matter what the circumstances. One only gets so many years to "play".

You can say what you want about me for the rest of this Post & I don't give a flying rip......
I also respect the "other bbd" mentioned here because it is run "ship shape". Some of the troll stuff I read here
definitely falls under "an axe to grind". If it were up to me this would have been locked after one round of FACT & Fiction."

I would also like to hear the unspoken side here. What took place seems out of character for the individual arrested.
As far as "Guilty is all you need to know" is a rather naive, simple outlook.

WAITING>.........................................................

May the trolls begin!

User avatar
CDN_Cocker
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:59 pm
Location: ON, Canada

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:58 am

fourtrax wrote:
You can say what you want about me for the rest of this Post & I don't give a flying rip......
I also respect the "other bbd" mentioned here because it is run "ship shape". Some of the troll stuff I read here
definitely falls under "an axe to grind". If it were up to me this would have been locked after one round of FACT & Fiction."
Agreed. I don't know the man but I do frequent the other board being criticized so much on here. This thread is a cancer and is the result of poor moderation.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:03 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:
fourtrax wrote:
You can say what you want about me for the rest of this Post & I don't give a flying rip......
I also respect the "other bbd" mentioned here because it is run "ship shape". Some of the troll stuff I read here
definitely falls under "an axe to grind". If it were up to me this would have been locked after one round of FACT & Fiction."
Agreed. I don't know the man but I do frequent the other board being criticized so much on here. This thread is a cancer and is the result of poor moderation.
There are many things posted that I don't care for but it is not moderators fault, it is the people posting. Regardless of our personal opinions, there are others that find it interesting and possibly informative. I haven't seen many complaints about other forums but there are quite a few complaining about their moderators.........probably the same people who always blame the umpires or referees when their team loses. Have you noticed it is never the people whose team wins or the people who find a topic interesting that complain about the officials.

Just like the rest of the people here, the moderators are not always present nor always right but they do spend a terrific amount of time trying to keep adults acting like adults so the topics are at least civil but also uncensored.

While we are all imperfect, we are the ones doing our best and everyone of us are earning every cent of our pay and probably even more. Merry Christmas and a Happier and prosperous New Year.

Love y'all,
Ezzy

codym
Rank: Champion
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Southern NM

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by codym » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:42 pm

fourtrax wrote:Quill,

I would also like to hear the unspoken side here. What took place seems out of character for the individual arrested.
As far as "Guilty is all you need to know" is a rather naive, simple outlook.

WAITING>.........................................................

May the trolls begin!
And for those of us that don't know this gentleman's character, why would we come to a different conclusion than that of the court? I work in law enforcement and I can tell you we will never get the god's honest truth about what happened so why waste our breathe speculating and defending a person that has yet to publicly defend themselves? Again I have no problem with Roy prior to this and enjoyed his photo essays, but the evidence was obviously there, not sure how that quantifies as a simple outlook.
Last edited by codym on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
Posts: 8237
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:30 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:
fourtrax wrote:
You can say what you want about me for the rest of this Post & I don't give a flying rip......
I also respect the "other bbd" mentioned here because it is run "ship shape". Some of the troll stuff I read here
definitely falls under "an axe to grind". If it were up to me this would have been locked after one round of FACT & Fiction."
Agreed. I don't know the man but I do frequent the other board being criticized so much on here. This thread is a cancer and is the result of poor moderation.
I agree that talking about people and other forums is unacceptable to me too. I said so back at at the beginning of this thread. I like to read about dogs and hunting, not gossip.

I can't fault the Mods though Nick. If they close a thread people are mad and if they don't people are mad. They are in a no win situation.

SRB
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:43 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by SRB » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:02 am

codym wrote:
fourtrax wrote:Quill,

I would also like to hear the unspoken side here. What took place seems out of character for the individual arrested.
As far as "Guilty is all you need to know" is a rather naive, simple outlook.

WAITING>.........................................................

May the trolls begin!
And for those of us that don't know this gentleman's character, why would we come to a different conclusion than that of the court? I work in law enforcement and I can tell you we will never get the god's honest truth about what happened so why waste our breathe speculating and defending a person that has yet to publicly defend themselves? Again I have no problem with Roy prior to this and enjoyed his photo essays, but the evidence was obviously there, not sure how that quantifies as a simple outlook.
I think it is a bit simplistic for a couple reasons. We don’t have all the facts. I don’t think most people believe OJ was innocent but that was the court findings. To say the court found “X” without more information is a parochial point of view.

Perhaps a more salient point here is that possession limits have some conceptual flaws that have to be considered. What separated Roy’s actions from that of other skilled hunters with the time and desire to hunt a lot was consumption. Had Roy just fired up the grill and hosted dinner a few of the visitors that shared his campground, he would not have been in violation of the law. I am pretty sure he could have just given them away.

As I byproduct of breeding dogs, I have met a number of people who harvest several times the possession limit of various species each year. I know a couple locals in Montana who harvested north of 150 Huns/each this year and I know a handful of guys that bag 8-12 the possession limit of ruffed grouse each year and I was never in violation of the law.

IMO, there is a problem when one guy can harvest three times the number of birds as another and not be in violation of the law while the hunter harvesting one-third the number of birds is in violation of the law. Fixing this would require we make laws to prevent people from hunting a lot or at least hunting a lot with a reasonable degree of success? Is that what we want to do? If you want to make the argument simple, that’s basically the core of this debate unless you somehow believe the number of birds harvest is far less important than the pace at which they are consumed.

User avatar
CDN_Cocker
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:59 pm
Location: ON, Canada

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:45 am

I agree Sharon and I think for the most part Ezzy has a good handle on things. I just hate seeing garbage like this on a board where we should be focused on the good stuff in life - dogs and hunting.

I couldn't agree more but.................I try hard to let things go as far as possible but I will always be wrong with a large percent of our members. I too tried to wait long enough to let the other side post but it looks like it isn't going to happen. Interesting though there are a few that only take part to criticize what we do as mods and those few play no part in our decisions but I at least do listen to your thoughts and try to judge when is the right time.............

GSPONPOINT32
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:42 pm

They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:49 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:I agree Sharon and I think for the most part Ezzy has a good handle on things. I just hate seeing garbage like this on a board where we should be focused on the good stuff in life - dogs and hunting.
+1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locked