Need some advice/help-Back from the Vet

ben33127

Need some advice/help-Back from the Vet

Post by ben33127 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:06 pm

Hunted my little female this morning, it was warm but she seems to be feeling fine. Noticed she is urinating a dark substance,almost the color of blood but not the consistency? Anyone ever had this happen? Looks just like urine just a little tinted brownish/red.

After my OP yesterday it got a little worse for about an hour, then it started clearing up. As of now she is urinating a slight yellow color and moving around not sore at all. I believe she is going to be fine, I just hope this didn't cause kidney problems . I'm going to probably take her to our family vet Monday for a kidney function test to make sure she is okay.
Last edited by ben33127 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Need some advice/help

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Vet

Hard to say...sounds like more than simple dehydration what with the color, et al you describe.
I don't see any value in wondering.

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Ben, before rushing off to the vet, especially after hours and spending $100's, if not $1,000's of dollars, hold up a day or two. If she seems to be doing fine and the spotting urine stops, everything is probably a-ok.

The international Vet coalition must pay all of these internet genies to automatically suggest running to the clinic at any sign of trouble, no matter how small

What was your $____ take here, Mountaineer?

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:42 pm

ben33127 wrote:Hunted my little female this morning, it was warm but she seems to be feeling fine. Noticed she is urinating a dark substance,almost the color of blood but not the consistency? Anyone ever had this happen? Looks just like urine just a little tinted brownish/red.
Otherwise, how is her behavior?

Is she in good conditioning?

Brown or red tinged urine can indicate a lot of different issues from something like exercise induced stress to urinary tract infections.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:45 pm

The color is from the by products of muscle breakdown. Google exertional rhabdomyolysis. Can be not so serious from running an out of condition dog too hard, or could be a serious problem that affects the kidneys.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:50 pm

She is acting completely normal. It is a bit worse, now her entire urine is brownish instead of spotting, but she is acting like nothing is wrong. Also, she is the type of dog that whines when any small thing happens, but as of now she's bright eyed and sunshine. I just mixed a little pedialyte in her water.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:56 pm

-----$s?
Not sure, off hours could be $200 with blood test....less or more depending upon many factors.
The real issue, for me, is the very dark red-brown color and how much concern that would bring to me, especially on a weekend.
The value for any $$s expended being dependent upon the look in the dog's eyes, memories and that concern of mine.
I reckon that one could mark up the lucre spent to a learning experience as well....that alone has a value, as with birddogs, there will always be a next question of concern and forming a personal data base is good.
I have been glad I waited before going to a vet and I have been very glad that I did not.

I have seen a dog with what turned out to be a busted windpipe that I wish I had known sooner as the night at the motel would have passed easier while waiting to see what the morning brought.....I saw a friend's dog die of torsion and I wish we had thought worst case that morning even tho the outcome would have been unlikely to change.
Other examples abound....bad and good.

There is a lot unknown in any Internet dog question.....I tend to trip the dog's way rather than the wallet's way.
And that means, again for me, with any oddity as mentioned....Vet.
So, that was my advice.
The OP is free to do as his wishes allow.
Odds are....pup will be ok unless much of importance remains unknown....infection? perhaps, I simply would want to know.
We all decide on where odds fall re decisions with our pups.

But yes, there are always those who seek to...just rub dirt on it...and go.
It is a shame that their agenda or, perhaps, their insecurity or need to be Internet tough guys requires them to speak of genies and so on....rather than just giving advise when someone asks.
Moonshine I Know Everything represents, by his recent posts, the folks I strive to avoid in real life and simply smile at their neediness when it pops up on a message board.

Good luck to the pup and the OP...dogs are amazingly hardy critters and dem odds are with you.....just know that, sometimes, the sooner.....the better.
And, the dogs depend upon us to place a thumb on their side of the balance scale.
Seems only right, to me.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Mountaineer wrote:-----$s?
Not sure, off hours could be $200 with blood test....less or more depending upon many factors.
The real issue, for me, is the very dark red-brown color and how much concern that would bring to me, especially on a weekend.
The value for any $$s expended being dependent upon the look in the dog's eyes, memories and that concern of mine.
I reckon that one could mark up the lucre spent to a learning experience as well....that alone has a value, as with birddogs, there will always be a next question of concern and forming a personal data base is good.
I have been glad I waited before going to a vet and I have been very glad that I did not.

I have seen a dog with what turned out to be a busted windpipe that I wish I had known sooner as the night at the motel would have passed easier while waiting to see what the morning brought.....I saw a friend's dog die of torsion and I wish we had thought worst case that morning even tho the outcome would have been unlikely to change.
Other examples abound....bad and good.

There is a lot unknown in any Internet dog question.....I tend to trip the dog's way rather than the wallet's way.
And that means, again for me, with any oddity as mentioned....Vet.
So, that was my advice.
What he said .
The OP is free to do as his wishes allow.
Odds are....pup will be ok unless much of importance remains unknown....infection? perhaps, I simply would want to know.
We all decide on where odds fall re decisions with our pups.

But yes, there are always those who seek to...just rub dirt on it...and go.
It is a shame that their agenda or, perhaps, their insecurity or need to be Internet tough guys requires them to speak of genies and so on....rather than just giving advise when someone asks.
Moonshine I Know Everything represents, by his recent posts, the folks I strive to avoid in real life and simply smile at their neediness when it pops up on a message board.

Good luck to the pup and the OP...dogs are amazingly hardy critters and dem odds are with you.....just know that, sometimes, the sooner.....the better.
And, the dogs depend upon us to place a thumb on their side of the balance scale.
Seems only right, to me.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Moonshine Ike wrote:Ben, before rushing off to the vet, especially after hours and spending $100's, if not $1,000's of dollars, hold up a day or two. If she seems to be doing fine and the spotting urine stops, everything is probably a-ok.

The international Vet coalition must pay all of these internet genies to automatically suggest running to the clinic at any sign of trouble, no matter how small

What is your problem? In a short period of time you've managed to insult several long term , wise, helpful members on here. Give it a rest.

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:17 pm

I would agree with Ike give the dog a couple of days and her urine will probably clear up. I have had that happen plenty of times when I run a female pretty hard.
Birddog 307

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:31 pm

Moonshine Ike wrote:Ben, before rushing off to the vet, especially after hours and spending $100's, if not $1,000's of dollars, hold up a day or two. If she seems to be doing fine and the spotting urine stops, everything is probably a-ok.

Moon's, some people's hounds are very important to them. Much like mine. They are not subject to being locked up on the back forty (forty yds) and left subject to a wait and see mentality.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:55 pm

shags wrote:The color is from the by products of muscle breakdown. Google exertional rhabdomyolysis. Can be not so serious from running an out of condition dog too hard, or could be a serious problem that affects the kidneys.
One of my boys had really high enzyme levels in his blood from muscle breaking down from a crosstraining workout and he is in great shape. Spent a week in the hospital. Symptoms were stiff muscles abnormal urine color.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:58 am

There are different degrees of ER. Subacute, acute, hyperacute. Subacute, they get over it pretty easy. Acute and hyperacute need medical attention. Hyperacute can kill.

Years ago we had a dog that had episodes of the subacute. He'd have the dark urine and be a little more sore than normal after a too-hard workout. Within a day or so he'd be fine. With the more serious forms, dogs need support for their kidneys, like IV fluids. IIRC the more serious forms are like tying up in horses. The dog we had eventually died of kidney failure, but we don't know if the exertional rhabdo was a contributing factor. Maybe, maybe not. He was 11-12 when he died.

OP, make sure your dog has plenty of water, and if her urine doesn't return to normal pdq, take her to the vet.

ben33127

Re: Need some advice/help ****Update****

Post by ben33127 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:07 am

fter my OP yesterday it got a little worse for about an hour, then it started clearing up. As of now she is urinating a slight yellow color and moving around not sore at all. I believe she is going to be fine, I just hope this didn't cause kidney problems . I'm going to probably take her to our family vet Monday for a kidney function test to make sure she is okay.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:33 am

Good...I'm sure that having less concern helps everyone rest easier and you have built up a bit of experience, for any dog change you witness, for what field conditions may deliver to a dog and...for the next time.

A vet check is still your call.....the Vet may simply advise all is well w/o testing...kinda what they do, evaluate and move ahead based upon the evaluation.

By the bye...what is the name of dog?

zrp

Post by zrp » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:47 am

Glad you're taking her in and glad you monitor her so closely in the field. You're a good owner. Myoglobinuria, if that's what this is and it sounds like it is, can result in permanent, irreversible kidney damage. In my opinion, it's not one of the 'wait and see' things. Catching a urine sample may be helpful to your veterinarian as well.

zrp

Post by zrp » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Also, idexx has a pretty new test called SDMA that seems to be much more sensitive than some of our older tests for kidney damage. You may ask you vet about it.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:39 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Good...I'm sure that having less concern helps everyone rest easier and you have built up a bit of experience, for any dog change you witness, for what field conditions may deliver to a dog and...for the next time.

A vet check is still your call.....the Vet may simply advise all is well w/o testing...kinda what they do, evaluate and move ahead based upon the evaluation.

By the bye...what is the name of dog?

Her name is Beatrice.....we call her Bea.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:43 pm

Good name!...reminds me of Andy and the Mayberry crowd.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:36 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Good name!...reminds me of Andy and the Mayberry crowd.
lol.....never thought of that, Aunt Bea sounds like a good nickname.

ben33127

Re: Need some advice/help-Back from the Vet

Post by ben33127 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:51 pm

Vet said everything looked great. Labs and Urinalysis normal along with everything else. She said it was Myoglobinurea, more than likely.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:05 pm

I'm glad your dog is fine. Had to look that big word up - very educational. Of course Shags called it early on. :) )

zrp

Post by zrp » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Myoglobin can cause permanent kidney damage. I'm glad the tests came out normal but myoglobinuria is not to be taken lightly. If we're seeing that, we need to not run them so hard (is not allow them to go so hard for so long) or get them in better shape pre-season.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:28 pm

My 7 year-old setter, sonny, hunted yesterday....gave no indication of an issue....pointed and retrieved a pheasant in PA.
His right eye was a bit weepy this morn and one assumed weed seed, etc.
Checking it and with him not pawing at it or giving indication of any discomfort or visibly alerting, something still nagged.
Some off I hied to the Vet....the Vet, he and she of the ready cash register.

Torn cornea, laceration, flap......appt in the morning at the ohio state vet clinic....meds every 6 hours till then.
It was good that I did not dither or count shekels.
I do not yet know the ultimate result but......rubbing dirt on it is for the individual to decide, with the pup foremost in the concern.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Any post that requires veterinary advice requires a vet to see the dog ! ...

Spyro

Post by Spyro » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:50 pm

polmaise wrote:Any post that requires veterinary advice requires a vet to see the dog ! ...
I don't think that is necessarily true. With our first child, my wife wanted to dash off to the Dr or ER for anything. It took her mother and sister sharing their experience to talk her out of half the trip. Now, after a couple of kids and lots more experience, it's a different story completely.

With all that said, I am happy that he went to the vet for peace of mind.