Getting the itch

CDN_Cocker

Getting the itch

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:32 am

Well with the passing of the wife's lap dog this past summer I've been getting the itch to add a second dog to the house again. I feel like a lab is probably the right choice to add but am having a hard time settling on that. Whatever breed we end up going with I know this time around I will of course be buying the best I can afford as far as nose and ability goes but I will also be focusing on the parents and how they are as family dogs. My cocker is an absolute hunting and retrieving machine but at 4 years old he's still unable to settle in the house. That is something that I know this time around is an important trait as it will be an indoor dog and has to be manageable for my wife and small children. My main love is grouse and woodcock but bird numbers are steadily declining around here and I feel like a flusher isn't really ideal. I also do a fair amount of goose and duck hunting which my cocker does well but I know a bigger dog with a better coat would be more ideal late in the year. The cocker also sheds really bad so adding a lab is a bit concerning in that regard. I'm not counting a lab out by any means just looking for some guidance. Looking for a bird finding machine that's nice to share the house with for the remaining 8 months of the year and can do it all like my spaniel.

Dakotazeb

Re: Getting the itch

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Whatever your Cocker sheds you can figure the Lab will shed at least twice as much.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:59 pm

A German Wirehair or a griffon?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:16 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Well with the passing of the wife's lap dog this past summer I've been getting the itch to add a second dog to the house again. I feel like a lab is probably the right choice to add but am having a hard time settling on that. Whatever breed we end up going with I know this time around I will of course be buying the best I can afford as far as nose and ability goes but I will also be focusing on the parents and how they are as family dogs. My cocker is an absolute hunting and retrieving machine but at 4 years old he's still unable to settle in the house. That is something that I know this time around is an important trait as it will be an indoor dog and has to be manageable for my wife and small children. My main love is grouse and woodcock but bird numbers are steadily declining around here and I feel like a flusher isn't really ideal. I also do a fair amount of goose and duck hunting which my cocker does well but I know a bigger dog with a better coat would be more ideal late in the year. The cocker also sheds really bad so adding a lab is a bit concerning in that regard. I'm not counting a lab out by any means just looking for some guidance. Looking for a bird finding machine that's nice to share the house with for the remaining 8 months of the year and can do it all like my spaniel.
You surely don't require me to tell you that a kennel dog will shed twice a year and one in the home with central heating does not .
I'm sure you are astute enough to know that the parentage of working ability has no bearing on the environmental conditions or training of the intended pup.
Standard poodle is a good choice :wink:

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:54 pm

Lol I do like poodles but shedding isn't that huge of a concern. It'd be nice to get a dog that doesn't shed as much but I also know it comes with the territory.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Dogs that don't shed as much are always the same color as your rugs and furniture.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:39 pm

LOL Very good.

Consider a setter Nick. I know a good breeder near you who regularly breeds fine hunting pups - Terry is getting one in Dec. They are just fine in the house- with proper opportunities to run/ hunt. You can get one on the smaller size- mine is only 35 pounds. They don't have to be a big running dog - it's all in the training, though not made for duck/goose hunting.

( I'm trying to ignore the itch.) :)

Why I like a high, white tail:

Last edited by Sharon on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:40 pm

:lol: I would think one of the versatile breeds would handle the cold up there a little better. My shorthairs will retrieve in cold water as long as they are running afterwards. They don't do as well in a blind.
However the versatiles do leak a little water after a drink. :lol:

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:43 pm

Sharon wrote:LOL Very good.

Consider a setter Nick. I know a good breeder near you who regularly breeds fine hunting pups - Terry is getting one in Dec. They are just fine in the house- with proper opportunities to run/ hunt. You can get one on the smaller size- mine is only 35 pounds. They don't have to be a big running dog - it's all in the training, though not made for duck/goose hunting.

While I love the way setters look...and the fact that they are the ultimate on grouse... not sure I want to add another silky haired burr magnet into my house lol

Jared77

Post by Jared77 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Do a google search on Braque Francais Pyrenees. Might be what your after.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:38 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:

While I love the way setters look...and the fact that they are the ultimate on grouse... not sure I want to add another silky haired burr magnet into my house lol
I've not found that to be a problem with normal brushing, and I normally have 2 in the house at a time.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:04 pm

Sharon wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:

I've not found that to be a problem with normal brushing, and I normally have 2 in the house at a time.
Silky setter hair tends to roll up in little vacuumable clouds under the furniture, while the bristles off slick dogs gets inextricably embedded in the upholstery and rugs/carpeting 8)