Older dog influence

Adamdirk

Older dog influence

Post by Adamdirk » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:34 pm

I will be picking up a new pup in March. I currently have a 4 year old gsp. Will my older dog influence my pup at all. My gsp is a little high energy but a very good dog.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Older dog influence

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:44 pm

It absolutely. It is critical in fact that you run them separately an equal amount of the time so the pup will learn NOT to rely and simply follow the old dog.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:48 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:It absolutely. It is critical in fact that you run them separately an equal amount of the time so the pup will learn NOT to rely and simply follow the old dog.
X2

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:09 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:It absolutely. It is critical in fact that you run them separately an equal amount of the time so the pup will learn NOT to rely and simply follow the old dog.
Anen

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:10 am

I assume you'll eventually want to hunt the dogs at the same time. I've had many Setters that never had any problem hunting with each other, but, have had a few who needed to be reminded who's in charge.

In my experience the key to running multiple dogs is to train and hunt them separately until both consistently respond to recall and whoa, and that you are seen by both dogs as the undisputed pack leader. Train them to back one another under controlled conditions before hunting them together.

When you do hunt them together, they will decide whose 2nd and 3rd in the pack. One of them, not necessarily the older one, will try to run off the other from HIS birds. Vigorously correct this a few times and all should be well.

Might want read some Ben O. Williams on training bird dogs....... He frequently runs 6 or 8 Brittanies together. He lets the dogs sort this behavior out for themselves.

Good Luck, It'll be fun..............

USMC

Post by USMC » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:49 am

tekoa wrote:I assume you'll eventually want to hunt the dogs at the same time. I've had many Setters that never had any problem hunting with each other, but, have had a few who needed to be reminded who's in charge.

In my experience the key to running multiple dogs is to train and hunt them separately until both consistently respond to recall and whoa, and that you are seen by both dogs as the undisputed pack leader. Train them to back one another under controlled conditions before hunting them together.

When you do hunt them together, they will decide whose 2nd and 3rd in the pack. One of them, not necessarily the older one, will try to run off the other from HIS birds. Vigorously correct this a few times and all should be well.

Might want read some Ben O. Williams on training bird dogs....... He frequently runs 6 or 8 Brittanies together. He lets the dogs sort this behavior out for themselves.

Good Luck, It'll be fun..............
Spot on!

Devilscreekw

Post by Devilscreekw » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:37 am

I always hunt dogs separate. But I had one instance where a young dog figured it out by watching an old dog.

I had an arthritic old Pointer that pretty well had free run of the farm. I also had a 5 month old puppy I hadn't done a lot with due to work restrictions. As it happens I had a flight of woodcock come in to a low wooded area in my horse pasture near my corrals and barn.

Well the old dog started pointing those woodcock and moving them around, and the puppy sat on top of the manure pile next to the barn and watched the old dog for about 3 days. He didn't move, I let this game go on for about 3 days. By day 2 the puppy was whining but still didn't leave his perch. On day 3 he was in there pointing then busting them up.

This was the only time I can truly say an old dog taught a puppy something. I had 9 great seasons with that pup. He is the dog in my avatar.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:29 pm

and he's a beauty. I was worried about the pup from my dam following and not becoming independent . Didn't have to worry long ; before I knew it, pup led the way.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:38 pm

For more than 100 years Hounds are 'Coupled' with an older dog .
Well, here anyway.
If anything ,it stops anything 'Independent' . :lol:

Up North

Post by Up North » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:02 pm

I do a mix of together,and alone. When just hitting the woods or pheasent cover the first time I like to hunt them together so the old dog can show the pup what it is looking for and where. Then start taking the pup out alone,and let it build its own confidence. Seems when I hunt them together later they do there own thing.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:31 pm

polmaise wrote:For more than 100 years Hounds are 'Coupled' with an older dog .
Well, here anyway.
Very true. I forgot that. We always coupled our young hounds with an older dog.

Devilscreekw

Post by Devilscreekw » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:47 am

Sharon wrote:
Well, here anyway.
Very true. I forgot that. We always coupled our young hounds with an older dog.
Exactly right....but hounds are not Pointers. Hounds run in packs and definitely do learn from older pack mates. I want the dog independent. He needs to be finding birds and making mistakes on his own (and not busting birds in front of a staunch dog).

One of the last things a pro trainer wants to hear is " but he's really good at backing".

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Devilscreekw, in the context of the OP by 'Adamdirk' .."I will be picking up a new pup in March. I currently have a 4 year old gsp. Will my older dog influence my pup at all. My gsp is a little high energy but a very good dog".
'Coupling' and or 'pairing' and or 'hunt together' and or 'Point together' and or 'work together' and or' ...anything else together..I'm sure if the new pup seen a 4 year old dog get a treat from the handler it would copy the act that got the treat . As for copying 'High energy ..I doubt it ?..As for ''A very good dog''? I doubt it will be same but still a very good dog , which is not measurable . (imo)
If one thinks however that a dog will retrieve as good as the older one does just by watching it or being with it then one should probably get a Parrot ! Just as if one thinks if a Pointing breed will learn to point by being with or watching another one point :wink:
'Coupling' , however , just stops the young one doing anything else ? :lol:

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:35 am

Well, here anyway.
Devilscreek is hung up on your usage of hound.

RockyDD

Post by RockyDD » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:34 am

I am in the middle of this one now with 7 and 1 year old drahts. I started to hunt them separately with most of the time going with the pup. I found it was very hard to leave my old hunting buddy home. I decided that wasn't an option so I now run them together. I have had a few issues doing this. The young guy would chase alot at first but once he realized what hunting was all about he started to develop his own style and range. He seldom chases now. He is a better pointer than the old dog and the old dog will sometimes steal his pointed birds. He does not break point when the older dog jumps in which I think is amazing for a one year old. The biggest issue I have is retrieving. At first they would fight over the bird with the old dog stealing it a hiding it. Then going back to get it when the younger dog is not looking and retrieving it to me. I have worked hard on the stay command for both dogs and give the command to the dog that did not put out the bird. That seems to be working and I can correct for not staying with the collar without the dog thinking the correction is for retrieving. I think eventually we will all be able to work together. I still have to test the young dog and there is no doubt that he would be a better testing dog if I worked him alone. I can live with a lower score if my dogs are happy and getting maximum hunting time.