Seeds in Eye

jrb_113

Seeds in Eye

Post by jrb_113 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:18 am

The last two years my dog has gotten seeds in his eye when hunting a certain kind of cover. I think they are wild asters or some kind of wildflower but they are very thick, have millions of seeds, and the pheasants seem to hang out there. I have taken him to the vet both times for removal. Has anyone ever tried Rex Specs or another type of working dog goggle? Do they stay on? I do have saline and Q-tips in the car but I often hunt alone and its hard to work with those items effectively by yourself without someone holding the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtlhdr

Re: Seeds in Eye

Post by mtlhdr » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:33 am

I flush with saline and haven't needed a q tip. I find it easiest to straddle the dog and squeeze him between my knees, open the eye with one hand, and squirt with the other. It takes a little practice but you should be able to make it work. It's amazing what can come pouring out of those eyes.

jrb_113

Seeds in Eye

Post by jrb_113 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:19 am

mtlhdr wrote:I flush with saline and haven't needed a q tip. I find it easiest to straddle the dog and squeeze him between my knees, open the eye with one hand, and squirt with the other. It takes a little practice but you should be able to make it work. It's amazing what can come pouring out of those eyes.
Thanks for the tip. I will try that.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:50 am

Eyes are an important thing to be concerned with when breeding as there are eyes that catch every piece of debris and those that don't and I am sure you are beginning to see the importance of looking at eyes when picking a pup.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:02 pm

I never had a dog get seeds in his eyes. So I do not know this But what would you look for in a puppy's eyes to tell you they would not get seeds in them.........................Cj

jrb_113

Seeds in Eye

Post by jrb_113 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:03 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Eyes are an important thing to be concerned with when breeding as there are eyes that catch every piece of debris and those that don't and I am sure you are beginning to see the importance of looking at eyes when picking a pup.
We hunt about 25 - 30 times a year and run all the time and only have had 2 problems in one specific kind of cover in the fall so it don't think its genetic but that is a good point so thanks.

jrb_113

Seeds in Eye

Post by jrb_113 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:00 pm

cjhills wrote:I never had a dog get seeds in his eyes. So I do not know this But what would you look for in a puppy's eyes to tell you they would not get seeds in them.........................Cj
He blinks one eye at a different rate than the other. Actually the vet only found seeds the one time. The other time nothing was found and the blinking problem resolved itself in a few hours. The seeds were small floaters. Sort of like dandelion seeds . When you disturb these plants they go everywhere. Thanks to all of you guys for your insight. It's great to hear other people's experience even if they have never experienced the problem. Plants are different throughout the country. The good news is after the next big rain and wind event most of these seeds should be down.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:12 pm

jrb_113 wrote:
cjhills wrote:I never had a dog get seeds in his eyes. So I do not know this But what would you look for in a puppy's eyes to tell you they would not get seeds in them.........................Cj
He blinks one eye at a different rate than the other. Actually the vet only found seeds the one time. The other time nothing was found and the blinking problem resolved itself in a few hours. The seeds were small floaters. Sort of like dandelion seeds . When you disturb these plants they go everywhere. Thanks to all of you guys for your insight. It's great to hear other people's experience even if they have never experienced the problem. Plants are different throughout the country. The good news is after the next big rain and wind event most of these seeds should be down.

Im pretty sure he was asking Ezzy what it is you'd be able to look for when selecting a pup that would tell you he's gonna be one that has problems "attracting" seeds.

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:20 pm

I work with veterinary ophthalmologists and as far as a goggle or glasses go I think Rex Specs are the best. I've met the guys that make them and they're really good people. Other than that I think the other best option is a saline flush at the end of a hunt. My dog got a fox tail in her eye last year as well, eye problems can get nasty in a hurry.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:16 pm

GSP4ME wrote:
jrb_113 wrote:

Im pretty sure he was asking Ezzy what it is you'd be able to look for when selecting a pup that would tell you he's gonna be one that has problems "attracting" seeds.
Not necessarily Ezzy. Anybody who Knows...........Cj

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:28 pm

Well set in head. Well protected from briars by a heavy, expressive eyebrow. A prominent, full or pop eye should be heavily penalized. It is a serious fault in a dog that must face briars. Skull well chiseled under the eyes, so that the lower lid is not pulled back to form a pocket or haw that would catch seeds, dirt and weed dust.

This is the way the Brittany standard explains it. The tightness of the lower lid is really important. check a dog like a bloodhound or many of the other hound to see what happens when it isn't tight.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:10 pm

This late summer, we had a lot of moisture which resulted in a heavy seed set on just about everything. I have had one Brittany and a GSP with eyes full of seeds after a hunt. Flushed both, one was fine, the other is still weepy and red-eyed after treatment by the vet. It is definitely not a structural defect in the eyes, as both dogs have run lots and never had a problem. The dog with the weepy eyes is nine years old and this is the first time she has had issues. Go figure.