are Field Trialers afraid of wild birds?

pointerdog
Location: Idaho but currently on assignment in Canada, plus traveling overseas

are Field Trialers afraid of wild birds?

Post by pointerdog » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:52 pm

A couple of GSP buddies of mine keep on declining an invitation to go hunting for wild birds. One tells me that wild birds will mess his FT dog up. The other guy seems to fear wild birds and said he'll stick with preserve pheasants.

Scare'dy Cats or what's up with these clowns? Good buds but I like to razz 'em. This is a serious question, though
Last edited by pointerdog on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: are Field Trialers afraid of wild birds?

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:07 pm

:lol: ........hmmmmm.

I find that wild birds somehow untie my shoelaces more than un-wild birds.
Wonder why that is?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Wild pheasants will run ..and run ..and run before they will fly ..
Perhaps Your friends know more than you ?

pointerdog

Post by pointerdog » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:03 pm

polmaise wrote:Wild pheasants will run ..and run ..and run before they will fly ..
The buds probably do. These cats crave the canned hunts. Flat terrain, dizzied birds and easy to get them in their cabelas vest.

But -- --- -- "Wild pheasants run run run before they fly""""? All of them? Have you ever hunted wild pheasants? I'll bet about 80% of the internet experts don't even hunt wild game. Cabelas luvs you guys :)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:05 pm

Pointerdog -

Wild birds may provide different kinds of challenges to the dogs of your acquaintances.

Some things may depend on the species in question. Pheasants run, valley quail run, chuckar flush downhill... Lots of things for a dog to process and handle.

Personally, I would welcome the opportunity for a dog to learn, because working wild birds is, more than anything else... a learning experience for them.

BUT, and it is a big BUT...if you have a dog that is dead broke, and you have trials that you want to go to, and hopefully place, keeping your dog trial broke and on the top of its game is not necessarily all that enjoyable. Bird hunting should be fun for both dog and hunter and if you are focused on keeping your dog broke and ready for competition, it can be more of a training session and a lot less fun.

Honestly, if I had a dog that was competitive and was ready to win... I would be careful of where I went with the dog, whom I hunted with and what species...simply because any amount of "unspooling" that the dog exhibited due to unanticipated pressures and circumstances...can potentially hurt the dog's competitive chances and will likely require some "re-schooling", which is extra work, extra time and in the case of pro trainers...extra expense.

RayG

Or it could just be that they don't really want to hunt with you. :P :P :twisted:

Yes I am busting chops here and making a joke..

RayG

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:23 pm

:lol:

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:45 pm

pointerdog wrote:
polmaise wrote:Wild pheasants will run ..and run ..and run before they will fly ..
The buds probably do. These cats crave the canned hunts. Flat terrain, dizzied birds and easy to get them in their cabelas vest.

But -- --- -- "Wild pheasants run run run before they fly""""? All of them? Have you ever hunted wild pheasants? I'll bet about 80% of the internet experts don't even hunt wild game. Cabelas luvs you guys :)
Just a few ...
I'll bet your percentage is low :)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Nice post Ray.

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Post #12 by pointerguy....and ya'll take the bait.

FYI...I field trial dogs. Wild birds? Let's go kill a heap of them.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:39 pm

dan v wrote:Post #12 by pointerguy....and ya'll take the bait.

FYI...I field trial dogs. Wild birds? Let's go kill a heap of them.
I would go with you but it might ruin my trial dogs. Oh, to late for that...............Cj

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:21 pm

If trialers are scared of wild birds then will someone tell me what they are doing all summer long on the prairies?

Spyro

Post by Spyro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:33 am

pointerdog wrote:A couple of GSP buddies of mine keep on declining an invitation to go hunting for wild birds. One tells me that wild birds will mess his FT dog up. The other guy seems to fear wild birds and said he'll stick with preserve pheasants.

Scare'dy Cats or what's up with these clowns? Good buds but I like to razz 'em. This is a serious question, though
Serious answer, most guys that are competing and winning big events have a goal of 3 to 5 months of wild birds per year.

My GSP pup, that went RU in the National Futurity this year, had 6 months of wild birds from 4 months to 16 months.

Now for certain, I'm not hunting a younger dog without a horse or atv and they're going to run with dogs I know.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:55 am

RyanDoolittle wrote:If trialers are scared of wild birds then will someone tell me what they are doing all summer long on the prairies?
Not hunting them on pheasant.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:49 am

When I trialed I hunted those dog's on wild birds also. The rule's didn't change!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:58 am

for certain, I'm not hunting a younger dog without a horse or atv
Why not?

I'm not sure I've been to a trial that wasn't native birds only in the last 3 or 4 years. More afraid of going to a pen bird trial.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:11 am

I am confused why you would not foot hunt a trial dog also? That is all I do! Never had a problem being competitive!

Not to mention I hunt 50+ days a year!

I have a hard time getting excited for a pen bird trial, and they scare me more than a wild bird trial any day of the week!

MTRookie76

Post by MTRookie76 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
RyanDoolittle wrote:If trialers are scared of wild birds then will someone tell me what they are doing all summer long on the prairies?
You sure about that?

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:14 pm

I have a hard time getting excited for a pen bird trial, and they scare me more than a wild bird trial any day of the week!
Though Im not a field trialer this comment makes more sense to me as a bird dog trainer

Spyro

Post by Spyro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:15 pm

DGFavor wrote:
Why not?

I'm not sure I've been to a trial that wasn't native birds only in the last 3 or 4 years. More afraid of going to a pen bird trial.
With a young dog, I see every day in the field as a time to develop and reinforce behaviors that I desire for horseback field trailing. To me, foot hunting doesn't advance the ball.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:29 pm

Spyro wrote:
DGFavor wrote:
Why not?

With a young dog, I see every day in the field as a time to develop and reinforce behaviors that I desire for horseback field trailing. To me, foot hunting doesn't advance the ball.
Doug has won a ton of trials with his hounds, and many a CH. And he foot hunts his dogs like crazy.

I think they are smart enough to know the difference.

Spyro

Post by Spyro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:29 pm

Elkhunter wrote:
Doug has won a ton of trials with his hounds, and many a CH. And he foot hunts his dogs like crazy.

I agree with you and believe that dogs are smart enough to know the difference.

I'll reiterate that my time afield with a young horseback dog, hunting or training, is to further develop a horseback dog. Might be completely inaccurate with my assessment but I fail to see why foot hunting a young dog would garner better results, as compared to hunting from horses, in developing a horseback dog.

MTRookie76

Post by MTRookie76 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Spyro wrote:
Elkhunter wrote:

I'll reiterate that my time afield with a young horseback dog, hunting or training, is to further develop a horseback dog. Might be completely inaccurate with my assessment but I fail to see why foot hunting a young dog would garner better results, as compared to hunting from horses, in developing a horseback dog.
I bought a started dog from a very well know pro trainer this past summer. He knows I trial and hunt my dogs and told me not to foot hunt the dog this Fall. I asked him why, he said it might screw up his pattern. Since he has forgotten more about dogs than I know figured I would listen to him, no foot hunting this fall but next fall will be a much different story.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:23 pm

You guys need new trainers. At the time, when I asked my soon to be trainer if he could hunt his trial dogs off foot his response was, every single one of them, even the All Age dogs. Last year I picked my dog up exactly 1 day after her run at the All age Nationals, we proceeded to move 5-6 wild coveys of bobs, and a few pheasants, the very next day off foot. His trial dogs get run on wild pheasants, sharp tail, and chickens all summer at camp. I can't tell you how many wild pheasants I've killed over my trial dog, but it's a bunch. I'll be hunting the heck out of the Scaled quail over her in the next two months.
Last edited by jetjockey on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Pretty silly to say someone is scared of wild birds. However, I've got a young derby who I run from foot on wild birds, but I won't kill birds for him this season because I want to keep him broke for spring trials. He's now 21 months old and can handle any bird, wild or pen raised. The derby championship that we hope to run him in this spring, the dogs have to be broke.

They held a weekend trial a few weeks ago here and didn't hand out any placements in the broke dog stake....wonder why...

MTRookie76

Post by MTRookie76 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:57 pm

jetjockey wrote:You guys need new trainers. At the time, when I asked my soon to be trainer if he could hunt his trial dogs off foot his response was, every single one of them, even the All Age dogs. Last year I picked my dog up exactly 1 day after her run at the All age Nationals, we proceeded to move 5-6 wild coveys of bobs, and a few pheasants, the very next day off foot. His trial dogs get run on wild pheasants, sharp tail, and chickens all summer at camp. I can't tell you how many wild pheasants I've killed over my trial dog, but it's a bunch. I'll be hunting the heck out of the Scaled quail over her in the next two months.
Apples and oranges. Your example is a broke dog with multiple placements, my dog was a started puppy that will be a derby for 2017. My other two dogs transition between horseback and foot with no issues, I hunt them regularly, and every other field trialer I know foot hunts their dogs.

As far as getting a new trainer I'll pass on that piece of advice. When a guy has multiple dogs he has broke running at Ames every year I tend to shut up and listen.

Spyro

Post by Spyro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:12 pm

jetjockey wrote:You guys need new trainers. When I asked my soon to be trainer if he could hunt his trial dogs off foot his response was, every single one of them, even the All Age dogs. Last year I picked my dog up exactly 1 day after her run at the All age Nationals, we proceeded to move 5-6 wild coveys of bobs, and a few pheasants, the very next day off foot. His trial dogs get run on wild pheasants, sharp tail, and chickens all summer at camp. I can't tell you how many wild pheasants I've killed over my trial dog, but it's a bunch. I'll be hunting the heck out of the Scaled quail over her in the next two months.
You're absolutely correct in that most horseback field trial dogs are foot hunted and are very good at it but it is my preference to not foot hunt YOUNG dogs and, for the first couple of years, to hunt them from horseback or atv.

Not saying my way is the best but it is the best for me.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Spyro wrote:
Elkhunter wrote:

I dont think its about better or worse, just the amount. Conditions to HB hunt are different that walking. And its super easy to run out and hunt a bench after work versus go get my horse load up etc. Lots of work when horses are involved. I won my first AA CH. placement training almost exclusively off foot! :)

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:11 pm

It's. Its not apples to oranges. I foot hunted my current trial dog 3 days after her first derby win. I hunted the heck out of her that season and she qualified for Nationals 1 week after I took her back to the trainer in the spring, at 20 months old. The only thing he said was keep her broke, and don't hunt her with unbroke dogs. I just hunted my green broke 2.5 year old for scalies and pheasants the last two weeks. You know what the advice was? Have fun and keep her broke!

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm with you Jetjocky. My two 11 month old pups are just now ready to have birds shot over them. One will get a lot of opportunities this month. The other will have less, but once either goes through the breaking process that will end until fully broke (actually they will Probably get a couple reward birds while going through training). I like mine broke, most hunters don't. Couldn't care less what others prefer. I've noticed people have different definitions of what broke is too haha.
Last edited by SCT on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Where's the guy who started this thread. Seems Dan v and Greg Jacobs might be right;-) me thinks he might have a twin named Ike:-/

Flashorthair

Post by Flashorthair » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:22 pm

My first real trial dog was an AA shorthair that I got when I lived in California. We ran all over California, Nevada, and Arizona. She was a true AA. After I moved to Florida we only bird hunted. She hunted right with you but when you saddled up it was on! She always knew the difference!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:27 pm

MTRookie76 wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:
You sure about that?
Nope. My understanding is that it's mainly grouse and Huns they're run on.

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:40 pm

The AA camp I spent a few days at last year in ND the dogs were mostly finding sharptails and pheasants, and occasional huns.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:43 pm

SCT wrote:The AA camp I spent a few days at last year in ND the dogs were mostly finding sharptails and pheasants, and occasional huns.
I should have shut up. I'm totally out of my element when anyone talks horseback dogs.

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:59 pm

I don't think you were very far off because the pros I know would probably say they prefer running on sharpies the most. But, different habitats hold different birds so they take what they get.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:15 pm

SCT wrote:Where's the guy who started this thread. Seems Dan v and Greg Jacobs might be right;-) me thinks he might have a twin named Ike:-/
AWFULL similar personalities. But the topic has progressed far beyond the first smart #$$ post.
I've really enjoyed everyone's views on trial dog and wild birds. I don't know enough to contribute so I use it as a chance to read and learn.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Nope. My understanding is that it's mainly grouse and Huns they're run on.[/quote]

Though that's the targeted game plenty get on pheasants. They dont grab the dog and run in another direction when the dogs find pheasants.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:39 am

I'll reiterate that my time afield with a young horseback dog, hunting or training, is to further develop a horseback dog.
Never knew there was such a thing as a horseback dog...suppose such a dog would by definition require a horse! :wink: :lol:

My dogs tend to apply themselves the same whether foot or horse - I like the exertion of hiking so tend to hike when I hunt. I use the ponies when prepping for games.
Here's same bird dog riding the horse above, a bit older, foot hunting, pointing covey of huns, two draws over:

Same dog, huns again...she's not buying the long distance release for the retrieve thinking she'll get busted for moving...gotta love hiking back and forth on steep hillsides just to tap a dog on the head...just to maybe win a ribbon sometime :lol: :
http://vimeo.com/149845381

Same dog, in the middle, Big Sky Shooting Dog Classic - had a super cool relocate on running pheasant at this trial that literally came up, tangled in my wife's feet as she was coming back to move the dog on for another relocate:

Wierd, I've been to a ton of Montana trials, never seen a Moonshine Ike in the running orders...or a Pointerdog...? Odd. Maybe Brad in the pic above, who lives in Lewistown, will have a little more local knowledge of the local characters.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:22 am

I have competed in quite a few hunt-point-retrieve trials and the thing most handlers fear over here in a trial is too many released birds among game crops. In Britain a pointing dog trial held on pheasants is usually a case of famine or feast with not much in between.

I didn't like running a dog in "feast" trials for the simple reason it was far too easy to be eliminated for something the dog probably could not help. When a dog is sent in to hunt a large area of game crop that is chest height to the handler anything can happen. The dog may point but not be seen by handler or by the judges or guns. That results in the guns, handler and judges all continuing to walk on through the crop and that can cause the pointed bird to run or maybe to fly off.

If the bird runs then the dog has to follow up on it and that is not an easy thing to do with maybe 50 -100 other pheasants all running around unseen among the crop. If any bird flies off the judges might mark the dog down for missing the bird or for bumping it up. I really do detest seeing good dogs get into trouble among crops with high game densities.

I preferred the trials with low numbers of birds that the dogs had to hunt far harder to find. Those birds were not "wild" in the real sense of the word and would often hold for a point giving me a chance to complete the hunt-point-retrieve.

"Real" wild birds are what I hunt for practice within a few miles from my house. Those birds are hatched and reared in the wild by hens that were also born wild. I never shoot any of those birds , they are too valuable for training practice . They see a man and dog entering their field of wild grasses and weeds and they often start running at once.

A good , hard running dog can pin them with a point but even then those pheasants often run from the point. In order to survive in the wild while being hunted by cats, foxes etc. they have running away from danger built into them. The dog then has to follow up on the running bird while dealing with the handicap of going only fast enough to allow me to catch up or keep up with the action. I do this while holding an imaginary gun and my following/tracking dog has to remain within gunshot distance from me.
I love that kind of hunting even though no bird ever gets shot. When a dog that can do that is running in a "famine" sort of trial I know it will cope with any bird behaviour.

I have spaniels as well as hunt-point-retrievers (H.P.R.'s) and when I hunt those same birds in those same fields with a spaniel or even with 2-3 spaniels they seldom find a bird. The birds run off long before a spaniel hunting at spaniel distances, can get anywhere near them.

I think spaniels are better suited to released birds in considerable numbers than are the pointing breeds. I prefer wild birds when hunting pointing dogs.

Bill T.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:18 am

DGFavor wrote:

Same dog, in the middle, Big Sky Shooting Dog Classic - had a super cool relocate on running pheasant at this trial that literally came up, tangled in my wife's feet as she was coming back to move the dog on for another relocate:

Wierd, I've been to a ton of Montana trials, never seen a Moonshine Ike in the running orders...or a Pointerdog...? Odd. Maybe Brad in the pic above, who lives in Lewistown, will have a little more local knowledge of the local characters.
Who's the good lookin dude in the camo on the left? Heard he has some GREAT dogs! :)

MTRookie76

Post by MTRookie76 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:42 am

Elkhunter wrote:
DGFavor wrote:

Who's the good lookin dude in the camo on the left? Heard he has some GREAT dogs! :)
Looks like everyone but Austin is having a great time.

pointerdog

Post by pointerdog » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:28 pm

Wow, glad we have some experts here, I do mean that sincerely. I don't no a nuthin' 'bout field trials. What both of my buddies are doing is not these horseback - AA? trials on wild birds. They're doing hunt tests and some of the aspects involve retrieving rabbits and other furred game. As explained to me there are very high standards involved and it sounds like wild birds wouldn't work. from what I hear some of these tests have to be taken and passed for the breeder to submit the final registration papers to owner

The guy with the brock dog, which looks like a gsp to me, anyway is apparently scored by how it handles a placed bird, not by finding the bird. a wild bird that might walk or run off or fly prematurely wouldn't work for these hunt tests. these guys prefer pen raised chukkers.

So no, none of you have ever seen pointerdog at a trial. not Hunt tests nor those horseback events. I do hunt sharp tails, grey partridge, woods grouse and pheasant. wild birds to best of my knowledge

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:26 pm

no, none of you have ever seen pointerdog at a trial. not Hunt tests nor those horseback events. I do hunt sharp tails, grey partridge, woods grouse and pheasant. wild birds to best of my knowledge
Got it. Guess it gave the wrong impression when you mentioned you and your buddy "Blaino" going to the Great Falls trial in the other thread.

Grey partridges (i'm gonna start calling them that, sounds more sophisticated) Brace 1, Reg 9 ASD Ch 2016:Image

pointerdog

Post by pointerdog » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Never said I was at a field trial. There's one coming up in Great Falls this spring, correct? Might go to that one. Never deleted any statement. Huns, Chukkers Gray partridge, same evil little bird, call them what you want.

You hurt my feelers If I had a report button I'd be pushing it about now :)

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:55 pm

Never said I was at a field trial. There's one coming up in Great Falls this spring, correct?
Yup, finally re-found your Blaino post...thought I'd lost my marbles. My bad. Yah Great Falls qualifier in the spring. Give it a go. As "they" say "you can fake alot of things but you cant fake showing up!" Sumthin like that!

One of my faves. Foot hunting Trixie, She won Idaho Open SD Ch, NW Chukar SD Ch, Reg 10 ASD Ch, NGSPA Reg 9 OSD Ch - took about 10 minutes tracking her down...then gave the birds a pass. Can't shoot up a pair.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:28 pm

pointerdog wrote:Never deleted any statement. Huns, Chukkers Gray partridge, same evil little bird, call them what you want.
Not sure what a chukker is unless we're talking polo.
Pretty sure a hun is a totally different bird than a chukar
Might want to do a Google search

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:58 pm

My how so little has changed in 4 years, the age old argument field trial dogs can't handle wild birds. It is good to see DGfavor is still here to set the record straight.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:28 am

cjuve wrote:My how so little has changed in 4 years, the age old argument field trial dogs can't handle wild birds. It is good to see DGfavor is still here to set the record straight.
Plus, his fabulous pictures. I think he has the ability to detect hunting in the West the way we'd like to believe we could all experience it some day. Problem is, I don't like horses.

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:54 pm

pointerdog wrote:Wow, glad we have some experts here, I do mean that sincerely. I don't no a nuthin' 'bout field trials. What both of my buddies are doing is not these horseback - AA? trials on wild birds. They're doing hunt tests and some of the aspects involve retrieving rabbits and other furred game. As explained to me there are very high standards involved and it sounds like wild birds wouldn't work. from what I hear some of these tests have to be taken and passed for the breeder to submit the final registration papers to owner

The guy with the brock dog, which looks like a gsp to me, anyway is apparently scored by how it handles a placed bird, not by finding the bird. a wild bird that might walk or run off or fly prematurely wouldn't work for these hunt tests. these guys prefer pen raised chukkers.

So no, none of you have ever seen pointerdog at a trial. not Hunt tests nor those horseback events. I do hunt sharp tails, grey partridge, woods grouse and pheasant. wild birds to best of my knowledge
Sounds like they're testing in the JGHV system and the testing is to become breeding eligible. I tested in that system including a VJP that used wild pheasants.

Regardless, wild birds are rarely a wrong answer when it comes to training pointing dogs.

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:02 am

Maybe the cover your planning to hunt tall and thick...cannot see the dogs making it hard to tell if they break! FT dogs can hunt wild to snappy with style!