Clothes for cold weather pheasant hunting.

deke

Clothes for cold weather pheasant hunting.

Post by deke » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:07 pm

We are going to South Dakota later in the year than we have ever gone before. Looking at the weather for the town we hunt it looks right around -6 with the wind chill. What do you guys and gals wear during this kind of weather while out hunting. Previous years I have worn carharts, chaps , longsleeve t shirt, and a vest. It only got down to about 10 at the coldest, but it was still rather cold once you got in the wind. I was thinking insulated carhart bibs, and then maybe investing in a good under layer? Thoughts?

Dakotazeb

Re: Clothes for cold weather pheasant hunting.

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:34 pm

Dress in layers so you can adjust with the conditions. And make sure that all your clothing is breathable. Stay away from Gore-Tex type clothing on your upper body as it doesn't breathe enough when you are walking and working up a sweat. I sweat a lot even in sub zero temps when doing a lot of walking so I wear nothing made of cotton (except maybe my BVD's). Once cotton is wet it is slow to dry and adds no warmth factor. Wear an under layer that will wick moisture away from your body. And a good wool shirt is hard to beat. Wool keeps you warm even when wet. Also, on those cold windy days it's nice to have some kind of facemask or balaclavas to protect your face. Good luck.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:45 pm

I spent 16 years in ND and for the last 9 years hunting late season chukars and Huns here in Idaho.

Cotton Kills, or so it's said. Check out the new "High Tech" fabrics and moisture wicking clothing from HK and now many other brands. Especially pants and t-shirts. If you're walking in snow blue jeans absorb moisture and draws it up your legs making you even colder especially when the temps get really cold and your pant legs freeze. If you stick with blue jeans look for gators to keep snow from sticking to your lower pant leg. When you sweat it up walking through those cattails that old cotton t-shirt makes you even colder by keeping that moisture close to your body. Get shirts that say moisture wicking or fast drying.

FYI - Fleece and cattail fuzz don't go well together, you'll be picking fuzz off your fleece for months. If you wear fleece wear it as an under layer between a t-shirt and your jacket.

Don't do heavy pull overs as outer cloths as you cannot unzip them to allow for ventilation

A light to medium weight hooded fleece sweat shirt with a full length zipper is good underneath your coat incase you need to keep the wind off your neck and head while walking back to the vehicle.

Carhart clothing is heavy compared to the new stuff, especially when wet. It doesn't let the sweat evaporate either.

My $0.02

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:19 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:Dress in layers so you can adjust with the conditions. And make sure that all your clothing is breathable. Stay away from Gore-Tex type clothing on your upper body as it doesn't breathe enough when you are walking and working up a sweat. I sweat a lot even in sub zero temps when doing a lot of walking so I wear nothing made of cotton (except maybe my BVD's). Once cotton is wet it is slow to dry and adds no warmth factor. Wear an under layer that will wick moisture away from your body. And a good wool shirt is hard to beat. Wool keeps you warm even when wet. Also, on those cold windy days it's nice to have some kind of facemask or balaclavas to protect your face. Good luck.
GREAT ADVICE & NO NO NO COTTON :!: :!:

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:37 pm

An outer layer of uninsulated wind pants with a full length side zipper so that you can unzip from the top down to regulate heat as needed.

Mike

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:52 pm

Comfort in clothes finds a wide range of what works for each individual...I will only suggest a Windstopper pull-over and, oddly enough, a tie can help as well as looking dapper. :)

deke

Post by deke » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:04 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Comfort in clothes finds a wide range of what works for each individual...I will only suggest a Windstopper pull-over and, oddly enough, a tie can help as well as looking dapper. :)

I boycot ties, didn't wear one at my wedding and I wont start now, haha.

I have a pair of filson full length tin pants ( the waxed ones) that i wear when it is gross and wet around home and im stuck outside working, Would those and under armour type long johns be the ticket as far as lower half goes? They are water proof mostly and wind proof.

Watermen

Post by Watermen » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:08 pm

A long handled brush (so you don't have to bend over) to brush the snow off your legs and boots. It will melt in the truck between walks and get cold and freeze again on the next walk getting stiff. Bibs made by columbia I have are best for this time of year. And good waterproof warm gloves that you can still shoot in. A beard is best to keep your face warm or a neck gaitor to keep your face warm if no beard :) and is easy to pull off if it gets to hot. Waxed cotton gets stiff in the cold imho.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:32 pm

deke wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Comfort in clothes finds a wide range of what works for each individual...I will only suggest a Windstopper pull-over and, oddly enough, a tie can help as well as looking dapper. :)

Fully understand....but one with pheasants and one with ruffed grouse are in the dog box...just in case. :D

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:41 pm

As said by others, lots of options for breathable layers, face protection, and wind proof outer layers. For the dog, you might want a Rivers West H2P Dog Vest. I've got them for both Brittanies, the GSP and the Lab, and they are good for turning the wind and also water. Have a great time out west with your dog.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:20 pm

No matter the temperature, If you leave your vehicle feeling comfortable you will need to shed some clothing so make sure to wear layers.
I also want my dogs carrying a little more weight to keep them warm and some method of hydration for both you and the dogs in extreme cold. Eating snow ain't it.
Generally hunts in SD are not real long, so they are relatively safe.
late hunting is great and most times weather is good. If you buy your license after about 12- 15 or 16 you can use the last five days in 2017
The other thing is be very aware of changing weather. Storms with zero visibility can come up quickly.
Keep your cell phone charged and your gas tank full..........Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:59 pm

Start from the top: tightly knit wool stocking cap. Next comes a wool scarf or 36" neckerchief. Keep your head and neck warm and the rest follows. Next Armorall under. Wool shirt. Long johns. Bibs ur pants that cut the wind. Wind breaker. Poly liner socks. Wool socks. Lined gloves. On really windy days add a wool face mask.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:46 pm

deke wrote:

I have a pair of filson full length tin pants ( the waxed ones) that i wear when it is gross and wet around home and im stuck outside working, Would those and under armour type long johns be the ticket as far as lower half goes? They are water proof mostly and wind proof.
I would skip the Filson pants. I have worn them in some really cold weather, and they are about as comfortable as stove pipes on the legs.

Mike

deke

Post by deke » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Good advice everyone. Let me clarify a few things. When I said I wear a vest at 10 degrees I meant my upland strap vest. I run really hot most of the time and never have even worn a pair of gloves or worn more than a baseball cap hunting. I wear a product called salt armor while out fishing to keep the wind and sun off my face. So I got a blaze orange one in the mail. As far as gloves go, would a set of those stretchy cotton black gloves be enough. Also what are some names of the clothing u guys wear. Columbia, under armour, Carhart etc

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:46 am

A lot of Army surplus for the base and mid layers.

Mike

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:56 am

I oddly forgot the best suggestion...Stormy Kromer cap. :idea:

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:49 pm

The under armor cold gear underwear is about all I use that is special. Dress in layers. Blockers need more clothing than walkers. In SD the wind is what get you, block the wind and the cold isn't so bad. My GSPs all get vest, not neoprene, to hold a little more heat in. I bring dog boots but only use occasionally. This setup had gotten me through weeks of guiding and personal hunts in all of kinds of SD winters.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:00 pm

I cant imagine hiking in full insulated carhart bibs.... I wear wind proof pants with thermals. I wear a few different layers on top with a beanie. If your hiking it does not take much clothing to keep you warm. Too much and you will sweat to death.

Leeza

Post by Leeza » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:29 pm

I like the tight wool gloves with the rubber grip dots on the fingers and palms. They won't slip on your gun and keep your hands warm even when they're wet. Cotton gloves are pretty useless and can make the cold worse as others have said. Cotton kills in cold weather because it won't dry, don't even pack it. Try a wool shirt over long underwear if you tend to run hot, might be all you need. Columbia makes nylon blend GoreTex double fronted pants that are fairly waterproof and breathe well. They are not insulated at all, so might work well for you. I hike in mine a lot and don't overheat.
Good luck!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:18 pm

I like a hooded sweat shirt with a wind breaker, watch cap, bandana tied around your neck, military surplus wool pants and light pac boots and gloves for outer layer. Synthetic long johns and wool or heavy flannel shirt. I have a full beard so I don't use a balaclava but if you are smooth faced one might be in order.