New baby +GSP **ADVICE AND TIPS NEEDED**

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:27 pm

Just brought my son home. Born 12-10

I have a well behaved 1 year old GSP

He won't jump up but may scratch the baby. Looking for suggestions for any conceivable situation. Pun intended

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dog dr

Re: New baby +GSP **ADVICE AND TIPS NEEDED**

Post by dog dr » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:43 pm

Unless you can watch him like a hawk and be in total control of his access and interaction with the baby, the dog goes in the kennel. IMHO

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:24 pm

So far so good...dog has sniffed and is now on his bed. My boy is surprisingly sleeping as well. This might actually work out.

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:52 pm

dog dr wrote:Unless you can watch him like a hawk and be in total control of his access and interaction with the baby, the dog goes in the kennel. IMHO
Rational and reasonable

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:45 am

There's a couple of things to remember. When a baby cries, it sounds like a wounded animal. That's why dog's show so much interest in the crying. There are some dog's that will attack that sound.

The longer you have the dog and the more attention you show the baby, the more jealous of the baby the dog MAY become. Always be aware of this.

Be careful about letting the dog sleep with the baby (as he grows older); they can become very possessive of the baby and very aggressive toward you.

Never let the dog "claim" any part of the baby's room.

Never leave the two alone. Never.

As the baby grows older, it WILL hurt the dog. It will be unintentional but sometimes it is hard for the dog not to nip in self defense. Try to teach your son to not hurt the dog so he has to defend himself.

Chances are everything will be all right, these are just precautions you should be aware of.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:50 am

rsz_img_6654.jpg
Got to watch them mean gsp's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:03 am

Got a couple "killer" DD's in the house as well. Doesn't mean they're all this tolerant though.

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:42 pm

24 hours home. Thanks for the advice. My GSP likes to sniff the baby every few hours but pretty much leaves him alone. My greyhound seems to be much more interested and likes to hang around him so far.

I can't believe my GSP isn't trying to paw him but he's very careful, slow and methodical when approaching. Only time will tell...

Definitely not letting my guard down.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:47 pm

For sure. You have to know your dog well enough to make the right call.

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:35 pm

I went through this with our GSP and my two kids. My bird dog trainer suggested I take an article of clothing from the baby and bring it home for the dog to sniff before we brought him home from the hospital. I brought my son's little little stocking cap the nurse put on him just after his birth. I think it helped as our dog wasn't too curious about the baby when we brought our son home for the first time. You already have some good advice. Never leave the child alone with the dog and supervise their interaction. My kids are now 5 and 3 and our dog never hurt them in any way. He had every reason to be jealous of them since he had a full 5 years of being the "baby" of our family until the kids arrived.

This is one of the final pics I have of them together before we had to put him down this week due to cancer. He was a great dog and relished the attention the kids gave him. Like others have stated, your dog may not have a bad bone in its body, but GSP's can be a bull in a China shop when they get excited, so the kids could easily get knocked down.

Best of luck with the new addition to the family and prepare for some great moments together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:58 pm

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016121 ... 3a4c77.jpg[/img]

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:55 pm

I had similar concerns with my daughter being born in June, but with 2 dogs. So far it's been good, the only issue is keeping my pointer from giving her a tongue bath. But you've gotten good advice so far...

I'll add this... get your dog used to all kinds of "mistreatment." Tug on the dog's ears, lips, tail, etc. and praise when there is zero reaction, and correct reactions. Condition the dog to accept being "messed with." This worked for me. The other day my daughter grabbed my one dog's lips/whiskers and pulled. To my delight the dog silently sat without moving and when my daughter let go, the dog moved away. I did this for months before my daughter was born and afterwards. Now that she can grab things it is paying off.

tsl34

Post by tsl34 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:11 am

I had similar worries with mine. We had bought our last puppy in December 13 and found out in January 14 we were having a baby. We now have a 2 year old and 4 month old and a 7 and 3 year old GSP. We do have one large room baby gated off that is the dogs room. I had been told the same about the baby clothing before coming home and it seemed to help. I also never let the dogs sleep with the kids and made absolutely sure that I get some time in with the dogs daily. They get two short (10-15 minutes) sessions of fetch and come/heel/sit/stay practice every morning and evening. Just gives them a little something to occupy the mind. I absolutely second the fact that the kids will beat on the dogs. My older male almost cringes when my 2 year old comes around. But they've gotten so used to it now. I just never leave them alone together for fear of the kid doing something to aggravate the dog (he once tugged my younger GSPs beanbag haha) Good luck!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:16 pm

GSP4me:

So sorry to hear about your dog. It is never easy.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:59 am

Kind of in the same boat as you, just had my first kid in July. I was kind of nervous bringing home such a small kid with my two dogs; but that wore of very quickly, my dogs pretty much sniffed him once and now they want nothing to do with him. Its starting to change though now that he is eating puffs and realizing that it is fun to feed them to the dogs. My dogs have also been around small children before with no issues. We actually had a bonfire one night and I put my younger lab in the back of my truck bed which was about an 1/8th full of dirt; and then my buddy put his daughter in the back also (baby jail) they both sat back there and played for a few hours, until we realized she was burying the dog under the dirt.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:27 pm

https://www.facebook.com/tengfrankie.te ... nref=story

There is a lot I could say about this video. I will leave it to the following: the dog is clearly asking for help, is cornered, and please don't be the parent that just holds that camera.

Shellottome

Post by Shellottome » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Right wrong or indifferent,who's to blame not to blame. That's gone dog.

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:33 pm

mountaindogs wrote:https://www.facebook.com/tengfrankie.te ... nref=story

There is a lot I could say about this video. I will leave it to the following: the dog is clearly asking for help, is cornered, and please don't be the parent that just holds that camera.
People are dumb

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:43 pm

No re-homing, no discipline, the dog committed the greatest sin a dog can commit. When I was back from the hospital with the baby, the dog would get a bullet to the head.

Shellottome

Post by Shellottome » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:53 pm

"Outside of a dog is mans best friend. Inside of a dog is dark."

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:12 am

most times these things work out fine just use caution dont leave the dog and baby alone and when they are togather keep a close eye on the dog the dog will except the baby as part of the pack

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:11 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:No re-homing, no discipline, the dog committed the greatest sin a dog can commit. When I was back from the hospital with the baby, the dog would get a bullet to the head.
I'm so confused...is this in reference to the video that was posted?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:29 pm

GSPONPOINT32 wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:No re-homing, no discipline, the dog committed the greatest sin a dog can commit. When I was back from the hospital with the baby, the dog would get a bullet to the head.

Absolutely

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:08 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
GSPONPOINT32 wrote:

Absolutely
Harsh IMO but to each their own. I believe there is a big difference between an unprovoked attack and the events in the video above. I wouldn't hold that against the dog but it would be given a new home without children. That dog was cornered and the adults should have never let that happen. I respect where you are coming from but I couldn't shoot my dog because he was put in a bad spot that could have been avoided. Actually I couldn't shoot my or any dog period.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:09 pm

more than what you would do after, you new baby with a dog in the home people should be thinking what to do before

an once of prevention and all that - dogs are not the saints some people make them out to be. They are just dogs. Kids are not saints either. They will shock you with the things they do at times. Not saying right or wrong either way, just stating some points to consider when letting or not letting things happen in your home.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:41 pm

GSPONPOINT32 wrote: Harsh IMO but to each their own. I believe there is a big difference between an unprovoked attack and the events in the video above. I wouldn't hold that against the dog but it would be given a new home without children. That dog was cornered and the adults should have never let that happen. I respect where you are coming from but I couldn't shoot my dog because he was put in a bad spot that could have been avoided. Actually I couldn't shoot my or any dog period.

I see it as a totally unprovoked attack. The baby was not abusing the dog. All the dog had to do was step over the baby. If we look at the baby, the dog had probably been around it for a year. It appeared to bite the baby in the face. That dog is mentally unstable and should be disposed of, not given to someone else so it can bite them.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:46 am

You certainly need to know your dog.
I had an old grumpy gsp when my kids were young. She would make agressive moves like that but would never leave a mark on the kids. She was trying to teach the kids to show a little respect. It's the same method they use to teach a pup what is acceptable behavior. The kids learned she didn't want to play and life went on.
Can't tell if the dog bit the baby. If you have a dog that bites you sure need to understand that and need to do whatever necessary to make sure bad things don't happen.