When is it too windy to hunt?

Billinsd

When is it too windy to hunt?

Post by Billinsd » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:42 am

To me, more than 15 mph makes it a lot harder for the dog to scent birds. What are all your experiences? Thanks Bill

reba

Re: When is it too windy to hunt?

Post by reba » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:34 am

If the conditions are dry then 15 mph wind will not be good.

If there is good moisture in the ground then 15 mph will not be to bad for great dog.

I've have had my GSP go on point in windy conditions and walk me in over 150 yards, relocating along the way. So in some cases it's just the experience of the dog.

There is a bigger chance of the dog running over the birds in windy conditions. It's not the dogs fault.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:04 am

It is never too windy though there are many varibles such as wind, temperature, dampness, humidity, and probably some others we have never identified that play a part in aa dogs performance.

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:27 am

Thanks,

My situation is real damp conditions right after a rain, 40% humidity, temperature in the 40s, wind about 15-19 mph, and a 10 month old not very experienced, but good dog so far.
Bill

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:46 am

That sounds like a very good day to me that MIGHT be better with a little less wind.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Billinsd wrote:To me, more than 15 mph makes it a lot harder for the dog to scent birds. What are all your experiences? Thanks Bill
In Scotland ,my Grand mother would say that's a good drying wind as she hung the sheets on the line. :)
It can often be an advantage when hunting under the cover of 'Noise' . :wink:
Edited to add ... Also depends which way you are hunting the wind . :roll:
Last edited by polmaise on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Yes, it does sound like a good day that might be better with less wind. The rain is supposed to stop at 10:00, which is fine. What concerns me is if the rain gets pushed out and it rains all day. I'm driving about 500 miles and have other weekends I can go. I'm also getting over a cold and still have have not quite gotten the asthma under control. I'll probably wait and decide right before I leave.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:09 pm

When I get too cold, the wind's blowing too hard. Really, I'll hunt in about anything as long as I can stand it. If I'm hunting pheasant, I head for the sheltered pot holes. With grouse I hunt the bigger timber. I really never stop for the wind unless it's over comfort. I did come close to shaking my Makers had a few years ago grouse hunting though. It was really roaring and I stopped and sat on a log to take a breather. A bigger gust came through and dumped two aspen across the log on each side of me. Scared the crap out of me. Still hunt in it though.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:57 pm

If you are in SD as your name implies you would not have many hunting days if you only hunted in 15 mph or less wind...................Cj

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:53 pm

I don't hunt in much wind. Been two things I believe go wrong. First the wind blow's up scent and worse still is the birds get really jumpy in the wind, really hard for the dogs to pin.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:07 pm

DonF wrote:I don't hunt in much wind. Been two things I believe go wrong. First the wind blow's up scent and worse still is the birds get really jumpy in the wind, really hard for the dogs to pin.
I remember a good friend saying before a Trial when at the start of the day it was blowing a 'Hooley' ...He said ''This should sort out the best'' . He also said the same when we went on a hunt to fill the bag.

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:08 pm

cjhills wrote:If you are in SD as your name implies you would not have many hunting days if you only hunted in 15 mph or less wind...................Cj
Very true South Dakota is windy, and cold. My homesteader ancestors from Minnesota moved to South Dakota, but the Indians, wildness, bitter cold weather convinced them that they liked Minnesota better. I live in California and it's windy where I usually hunt. I'll drive 100 miles to hunt less than ideal conditions. I'm real leary about driving 500 miles for less than 2 days of decent hunting. I was going to leave earlier today to hunt Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'm looking at the weather and it's 25 mph Friday with rain and 15-20 mph Saturday until 11am. Sunday looks good though. I have another 8 weekends to go, and I'd like to go twice. Thanks all, good advice.

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Actually I've enjoyed hunting chukar in the wind. They hunker down in little valleys and places out of the wind, making them easier to find. A friend from Nevada taught me that.