New Puppy Breed Questions

Nadine

Post by Nadine » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:53 pm

Hello,
Hopefully sometime next year. I hope to have a few new pups. I'm familiar with mainly Coonhounds and a few other breeds. I plan on getting 2 Black and Tan Coonhounds. However, I've had my eye on the GSP Breed. I would not mind owning a Liver/Roan puppy. I would like to know if there are any real concerns about this breed such as health issues, Temperament, Are they decent/safe to have around children? (Granted a lot has to do with training when it comes to behavior.) Just basically are there any red flag type issues concerning the breed, that only people who currently have or had owned them before would be aware of. Thanks

greg jacobs

Re: New Puppy Breed Questions

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:10 pm

Health is generally good

Not generally snappy. I raise mine pulling tails, ears, feet, so they think that is normal.

They don't seem to instinctively know not to run people or things over while at play.

For your squirrel hunting a hound or cur or terrier might be a better choice however you might be able to train one for that. While camping mine turn into chipmunk terrorizers.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:09 pm

I've only had 2 GSPs but had absolutely no problems .

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:33 pm

No real red flags - nice breed overall, but you get what you breed for - so be picky about getting the "range" and "instinct" that you want. Check out the parents, look into the line of dogs. Be picky about the breeder. And do NOT raise it with another puppy if you can help it. One at a time. Google littermate syndrome (and it doesn't have to be littermates - it can be any two pups of similar age). It's a serious issue that I deal with when working with rescue pups all the time. Also had it happen to me with a pair of beagle pups, so I know how difficult it can be to overcome.

Shellottome

Post by Shellottome » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:19 pm

I have many different breeds and the gsp is far above any breed I own. They're the only dog I can coon hunt, hog hunt and bird hunt in the same day. Your best bet is research for a kennel that hunts gsp on more than birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Practically everyone I know that uses their dog the wy you are go with a DD or wirehair. Much tougher than a shorthair.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:01 am

ezzy333 wrote:Practically everyone I know that uses their dog the wy you are go with a DD or wirehair. Much tougher than a shorthair.
It really depends more on the bloodlines within the breed than the breed....................Cj

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:25 am

cjhills wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Practically everyone I know that uses their dog the wy you are go with a DD or wirehair. Much tougher than a shorthair.
It really depends more on the bloodlines within the breed than the breed....................Cj
I think its more a commentary on the coats than the character of the dogs.

Nadine

Post by Nadine » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:24 am

Thanks everyone for your input. Its greatly appreciated.
I plan on using the GSP for Bird Hunting (pheasant/quail) That's my initial goal. Ill check more into the breed, and have to start looking for some breeders and see what is available Thanks again.