Idahoan looking for versatile breed for cold weather ducks

idahomarine

Idahoan looking for versatile breed for cold weather ducks

Post by idahomarine » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:25 pm

I am looking for breed and breeder suggestions for a versatile dog that would excel at cold weather waterfowl. December and January are routinely below zero in the mornings and I would like a dog that can handle it while wearing a vest and sitting in a blind. Re: overheating-I'll sacrifice some early season to have a better late season. I would also like to be able to personally visit the breeder prior to purchase, so he/she needs to be within 300 miles of Idaho Falls, ID. I probably hunt 60-70% waterfowl, with the majority of my upland being sharptail and pheasants. However, I would like to get more into chukar hunting in the next few years. I currently have a 23-month-old, 45-50 lb. Vizsla/Brittany mix who loves to hunt anything we find, but struggles on really cold water retrieves when we are working from a static position (he does fine on early season teal from a blind or jump shooting ducks when he can run around after-not below zero though). I would like to get another dog in the spring of 2017 or 2018. I would also like to have breeding rights, so whatever I get will likely be the breed I stick with for a while. As it stands now, the pudelpointer is my number one choice and Bob Farris seems to be the best breeder in my area. However, I would consider a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, Drahthaar, or any other breed that is common enough to find suitable studs in the future. Suggestions?