Wyoming or along the way

JoshHaker

Wyoming or along the way

Post by JoshHaker » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:44 am

My wife and I got tired of the Heat and decided to leave Florida on the spur of the moment and head to Wyoming. I'm not exactly sure why Wyoming but it's always had some appeal to us. I've never hunted the west or Midwest so we loaded up the bird dogs and our three young children and a tent. Our plan is to stop anywhere along the way and hunt. So far I have pinpointed a place in Optima Oklahoma that seems to possibly have some promise. I have only Hunted quail I have never hunted any of the Midwestern birds or even been there for that matter. Once we get to Wyoming or when the weather gets too bad we'll find somewhere to stay. If anyone has any suggestions on where to go it would be appreciated. I am considering Kansas and Oklahoma at
this point but other than Optima I do not have an exact location nailed down. I have never killed a pheasant, hun, sharptail or anything like that. Will the snow be too deep in Wyoming to run a bird dog?

Dakotazeb

Re: Wyoming or along the way

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:40 am

Have you checked the bird seasons in some of these states. I know almost all the bird seasons will be closed in Wyoming by the time you'd get there. At this time of the year I wouldn't go any further north than Kansas.

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:45 am

I checked Wyoming, and Huns are open until the end of January as well as chuckar. Sharptails and pheasants close the end of December

Vision

Post by Vision » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:49 am

The weather is horrible this time of year in Wyoming. I hope you have cold weather gear and a vehicle that is suitable for the conditions. Huns can be very difficult in the snow. Here's a shot of the Christmas day snow total in SLC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vision on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:53 am

Google these words "Wyoming I-80 winter" and look at images. I can think of a few ideas worse than loading a family up to go bird hunting in the middle of winter in Wyoming but not many. No offense intended, but you need to really look into this. I grew up in that country and you are taking a big risk driving out there in January. The wind is brutal, snow is deep, and temps below -20 are common. Bad idea.

GSPONPOINT32

Wyoming or along the way

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:05 am

Is it just me or is he headed for imminent disaster? Do you routinely live off the grid? How will your family survive without shelter? Is this a joke?

Maybe I'm way out of line or misunderstood this post but I'm genuinely concerned for your welfare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reba

Post by reba » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:08 am

YIKES!

I have hunted Wyoming for the past 25 years. Wyoming is NOT the place to go this time of year.

Try New Mexico or Arizona. You will be amazed how cold they can be at night!!!

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:00 am

Not trying to alarm anyone, this trip is very flexible. Our goal is to see the west and snow. We never intended on camping in Wyoming or anywhere else where conditions are not suitable. We brought the tent for camping in states along the way like Oklahoma and Arkansas. I know we are late in the season for bird hunting but I would like to hunt where conditions are favorable. The bird hunting is just a bonus to our family trip. Should we encounter harsh conditions we will alter our destination.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:24 am

Lots of snow and cold right now.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:34 am

JoshHaker wrote:Not trying to alarm anyone, this trip is very flexible. Our goal is to see the west and snow.
Aww! The snow! I've seen the snow. It can be beautiful at times. Or it can be like today... a mess. Especially after it has been coated with freezing rain. Keep in mind your dogs have to adjust to those conditions too. And some breeds don't fair so well with the cold and/or snow.

Fallsfour2014

Wyoming or along the way

Post by Fallsfour2014 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:15 pm

If you aren't experienced with snow driving I would not suggest going through the area. I would keep it a south or east at least of there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:23 pm

The snow is piling up in E. Idaho. Only huns and waterfowl open here now and access is bad.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:47 pm

fishvik wrote:The snow is piling up in E. Idaho. Only huns and waterfowl open here now and access is bad.
Yeah, went through here with some wind. Was going to get out this morning but decided against it with the wind blowing. It was not nice out. Didn't want to get up in the hills and get stuck in a snow drift.