Trainers in Idaho?

Warrior372

Trainers in Idaho?

Post by Warrior372 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:20 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for hunting dog trainers in Idaho? First hand experience would be preferred, but I will look into any highly regarded recommendations. Training would be for a 7 month old French Brittany.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Trainers in Idaho?

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:59 am

Jeff Funke at Three Devils is always highly recommended.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:30 am

Don't know what breed you have but Jason Staley, JS Kennels. Murtaugh, Ida. Young guy that has been doing great at trials. Runs a lot of dog's and has done well. I don't know if he does anything other than Britts tough. If your close to Spokane, you'll find Dan Hoke, Dunfur Kennels. Good rep.

mask

Post by mask » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:57 pm

Dave Walker would be a good choice for Brits. Jerry Krebs is good as well. I would not recommend Jeff Funke.

Avispex

Post by Avispex » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:17 pm

I can make some suggestions in Northern Utah, but you may be on the far side of Idaho.

Andy

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:59 pm

What type of training do you need? For Hunting, tests and or trials or Force fetching? I used a guy north of Boise named Ray Middleton. He lives in the country near Midvale, ID. He's a NSTRA guy and does real well with Setters, which require a little softer approach. I'm not sure where French Brits fall in line but he did good by me and my Gordon.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm interested in training for Upland and waterfowl hunting. I have no intention on trialing unless I run into some locally just for fun. I know that French Britney's are not renowned as waterfowl hunters, but for as much as he insists on daily hikes in snow as deep as he is tall and his lack of concern in breaking through thin ice and swimming in water, he might actually be pretty good at waterfowl hunting.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Consider getting involved with the local Brittany club or the GSP Club of Idaho. There are folks there that could help you do it yourself. The bird season is almost over (With the snow it pretty much already is for many) and the clubs should be starting to hold their "get together's" with the intent on training for local events. You can meet lots of good people there. And... maybe some questionable ones too (I'm Kidding of course) :wink:

Check out the GSP club's web site. http://www.gspcidaho.org

Just an idea

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:47 pm

mask wrote:Dave Walker would be a good choice for Brits. Jerry Krebs is good as well. I would not recommend Jeff Funke.
Interesting. That's the first bad report I've ever heard of Three Devils. Jeff has been doing it a very long time.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:47 pm

Jason Staehli does a great job. I would recommend him.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:What type of training do you need? For Hunting, tests and or trials or Force fetching? I used a guy north of Boise named Ray Middleton. He lives in the country near Midvale, ID. He's a NSTRA guy and does real well with Setters, which require a little softer approach. I'm not sure where French Brits fall in line but he did good by me and my Gordon.
I've heard very good things about Ray and his Force Fetch program. If I decide to FF my setters that is who I will use.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Gertie wrote:
Gordon Guy wrote:What type of training do you need? For Hunting, tests and or trials or Force fetching? I used a guy north of Boise named Ray Middleton. He lives in the country near Midvale, ID. He's a NSTRA guy and does real well with Setters, which require a little softer approach. I'm not sure where French Brits fall in line but he did good by me and my Gordon.
I've heard very good things about Ray and his Force Fetch program. If I decide to FF my setters that is who I will use.
That's what he did for my setter Pete. Pete retrieves really well now, and appears to like it. He did work on other things while he was there but I had him pretty far along already, I just needed help with FF. It appears that many, if not all of the NSTRA guys around here force fetch their dogs.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:08 pm

Does anyone have contact info for Ray? I am not having any luck finding contact information on the Internet. i'm only able to find pictures of him with his English Pointers.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:25 pm

Rich Robertson JR @ Robertson Kennels.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:44 am

mask wrote:Dave Walker would be a good choice for Brits. Jerry Krebs is good as well. I would not recommend Jeff Funke.
Dave is well into his 80's. I don't know that he trains any more.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:48 am

Warrior372 wrote:Does anyone have contact info for Ray? I am not having any luck finding contact information on the Internet. i'm only able to find pictures of him with his English Pointers.
Sent you a PM with Ray's contact info. Good luck!

TTIERNS

Post by TTIERNS » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Yes,. Cove Mountain Kennels in Pocatello. Chris Colt is excellent, very gentle and did a great job with my Brittany who is a pretty soft dog. No physical abuse he trains using the Dave Walker method basically. Great training grounds and lots of birds. Kennels were clean.
208-881-1975. Cove Mountain Kennels.com
TT