One or two or more dogs?

Robbw

One or two or more dogs?

Post by Robbw » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:03 pm

I've got an 11 year old Brittany. I got her through a rescue 6 years ago and quickly established herself as the boss over our Weimaraner who was about the same age and who had come into the house about 4 months before. The Brittany is my dog and she and I know it. (The Weim is my wife's dog and that is also clear). Both dogs are treated as house pets and "family". I hunt pretty hard during our season here in Massachusetts, and have a friend with a younger Brittany that hunts with us. My 11 year old is still phenomenal but she doesn't have the endurance that she had and I am careful not to overextend her.

I am considering a puppy, probably a French Britt but a gun dog nonetheless. I'm trying to consider how the pup would fit in with the existing pack, and how the 11 year old dog will react, both at home and in the field. I know a lot of you have multiple dogs and have probably gone through this. How did it go and what advice do you have?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: One or two or more dogs?

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:15 pm

I don't think anyone can tell you that it is so dependent on each dog. I have a 12 year old and added a pup this year. The old dog looks after the pup and has never been cross with her. For me it worked great and from my experience, it usually does as long as neither older dog is a fighter.

Shellottome

One or two or more dogs?

Post by Shellottome » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:08 pm

I train young dogs for folks all the time. My older dogs care less about new young dogs. I'd say it's a 50/50 ratio of me training and my old dogs training. My dogs are hunting dogs not pets. With that being said, I'm not sure how family pets would react but your older dogs would be a great teacher for the pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:46 am

If you have any doubts, introduce someone else's pup around your other two and see what the reaction is. Most of the time there won't be a problem, but you have to remember that the other dog's have been ruling the roost. When I introduced my old Draht to two setters in the house, they wanted to kill her and for the rest of their lives hated and only tolerated the new pup through my supervision. So, it doesn't always work, but most of the time there is no problem.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:34 am

how the 11 year old dog will react, both at home and in the field.
my lab (11 years old, maybe 12) puts up with and competes a bit with the poodle for attention at home. He's still all business in the field

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:46 am

We had luck keeping them separated pup in kennel when big dog was around after a couple weeks the older dog wanted to play with pup through the kennel and then we let them have a short period of time together than longer and longer times... Usually the pup learns to respect the older...

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:09 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Image
Wonderful picture! I hope you have it (or will have it) framed.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:01 pm

Squirt and Bodie were about 5 when I brought Stormy home. They hated him! But I was always near and he could get out of trouble faster than he get's in. Somewhere along the way, Stormy took over in where he is relating to me. If he's on the couch with me, he tries to run them off, nothing intense though. He get's between me and them and harasses them. But if they are laying in the bedroom door or in the hall, he leaves it be. Same on the floor in the living room, he goes around. But then If Bodie beats him to bed, seldom happen's, Bodie will lay down by my shoulder and Stormy get's on the other side and stare's at him. That get's Bodie really upset, you'd think he was gonna kill him. Then he get's up and moves to the foot of the bed and Stormy gets over where Bodie was. Outside, they always play. This attitude from them only happen' in the house!

Leeza

Post by Leeza » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:07 pm

One thing I found that helped with mine. (I had a much older still active female and a young puppy to train, similar to you). I set aside time just for the older dog without the annoying youngster around. Even if it was just a ride in the truck, it sure makes that old dog feel good again and that they are still number one. Even a very tolerant old girl does better with a break from the chewing machine :)

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:34 am

My wife and I raised 3 kids, they all are married and blessed us with 6 Grandchildren. So of course as our kids moved away from home, we replaced them with puppies....we have 3 field bred and trained Golden Retrievers....

Life is good! :mrgreen: