Alabama GSP Breeding

Bamalaw

Alabama GSP Breeding

Post by Bamalaw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:15 am

I have a German Shorthaired Pointer, named Cotton. He will be 2 years old this May and I would like to stud him out. I am a 2nd year Law School student at Alabama, so I would like stud him somewhere relatively close (Alabama and surrounding states is fine). I started bird hunting only about 3 years ago while clerking for a Judge who was an avid hunter. I got my dog Cotton through him. His blood line is great. Multiple National Champions. From the line of Heidi’s Mighty Slicker, Sanjo Sin City Slicker, Heide Ho Pinehurst. I am relatively new to this process but would love any feedback/suggestions. Will attach a photo soon.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Alabama GSP Breeding

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:26 am

What is your reason for wanting to breed this dog. If it is to pay his way, you will be wasting your time and money.
First you will need health tests. He needs to be two years old for OFA. Some sort of titles may help.
He may be the greatest dog in the world to you, but not to the rest of the world.
With good luck you will find very few people who want to breed with your dog.
If he has a parent who has a major title it may help, but dogs with names you mention three or for generations back are a dime a dozen.
Sorry, but that is the real world,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Cj

Vision

Post by Vision » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:27 am

You could name one of his male sons Watson :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Bamalaw -

I am sure your Cotton is a very nice dog, with top shelf breeding.

Unfortunately, without field trial or hunt test credentials, there is no abiding reason why someone who wanted a performance dog or hunting dog would chose your dog over another.

There are a good number of very nice GSP's out there with the same kinds of top shelf breeding AND field trial wins/championships, or hunt test titles. They are proven quantities, and folks will gravitate to those dogs, first because they are a proven item and secondly because it is easier to sell pups for a higher price from a field champion or Master Hunter sire, than not.

That is just the way it is. Breeding sporting dogs is a tough way to make a buck. Most folks are happy to break even.

Enjoy your dog.

RayG

Bamalaw

Post by Bamalaw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Alright thanks! I'm not trying to make money. I just want to breed him once so I will have another good hunting dog.