Brittany search

Tony Brown

Brittany search

Post by Tony Brown » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:03 am

I recently lost my 10 year old brittany and realize that I'm not happy without a bird dog. He was from Rick Smith kennel but Rick has nothing available. If you know of a well bred litter somewhere in the Southeast or ? I would appreciate the info. Thanks for the help

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Brittany search

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:08 am

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:23 pm

http://www.ruffwoodbrittanys.com/ ( You can visit Niagara Falls while you are there. :) )

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Your in a VA, get ahold of Martha Greenly in South Hill VA at Piney Run Brittanys. Otherwise i suggest calling uplanddogworks.com in NE.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:23 pm

My female may have started her heat cycle today. If so, I will be breeding her to a very very nice male when the timing is right. She has a wonderful temperament, has a couple of AKC Master Hunter passes as well as an AKC all breed win in a walking gun dog stake. She is the total package and beautiful on top of it all :)
Bree_March 2015.jpg
Good luck in your search!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:06 pm

A much better looking Brit than I saw on those sites mentioned. Very nice and sounds like a good one.

Ezzy

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:29 pm

ezzy333 wrote:A much better looking Brit than I saw on those sites mentioned. Very nice and sounds like a good one.

Ezzy
I know Carolina has very nice dogs and you won't go wrong with his pups as he breeds her nice dogs.

My question to you is do you base your dog decision on looks or performance? I can understand why people
on this site don't respect your opinion! And that is in no way bashing Carolina's dogs, because I know them and know they are very nice dogs, but Ezzy, your clueless.

TTIERNS

Post by TTIERNS » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Ed Tillson at tequila kennels has a couple litters. If you follow nstra at all you will recognize his name. Excellent dogs

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:34 pm

jetjockey wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:A much better looking Brit than I saw on those sites mentioned. Very nice and sounds like a good one.

Ezzy
I know Carolina has very nice dogs and you won't go wrong with his pups as he breeds her nice dogs.

My question to you is do you base your dog decision on looks or performance? I can understand why people
on this site don't respect your opinion!
And that is in no way bashing Carolina's dogs, because I know them and know they are very nice dogs, but Ezzy, your clueless.

Please don't speak for all. Many of us have great respect for Ezzy's opinion.

Looks mean many things . I'm quite sure Ezzy wasn't talking about how "pretty " one or the other was. I consider "looks" : size(height), chest breadth, hips, tail position etc.. I do like the taller Brittany in Carolina's pic.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Sharon wrote:
jetjockey wrote:

Ezzy

And that is in no way bashing Carolina's dogs, because I know them and know they are very nice dogs, but Ezzy, your clueless.

Looks mean many things . I'm quite sure Ezzy wasn't talking about how "pretty " one or the other was. I consider "looks" : size(height), chest breadth, hips, tail position etc.. I do like the taller Brittany in Carolina's pic.
Some of those pictures Ezzy is dispariging are dogs so tall they are actually oversized, which Ezzy disparages. You can't have it both ways.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote:My female may have started her heat cycle today. If so, I will be breeding her to a very very nice male when the timing is right. She has a wonderful temperament, has a couple of AKC Master Hunter passes as well as an AKC all breed win in a walking gun dog stake. She is the total package and beautiful on top of it all :)
Bree_March 2015.jpg
Good luck in your search!
Great looking dog and I like the name. I just picked up a 6 month old female Brittany in Idaho and named her Bree.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Jet Jockey, I made no comment about how any of the dogs hunt but there are a few things that bother me greatly. Somewhat troubling is the labeling the dogs as Brittany Spaniels when they have been Brittanys now for a couple of decades or more. Black dogs that are a disqualification for Brittanys and these were not labeled French Brits. Several appear to be over size, a couple have heavy curly coats with long bodies instead of the cobby dogs the standard speaks of. and if I remember right one with either no tail or I think just carrying it tucked and one mismarked facial markings This in no way reflects and I didn't comment that it did, on the hunting ability even though the pedigrees do not show many titled dogs and I don't think any health checks or guarantees. So if I was looking I would need to see what they have going for them and see a lot more info on what they have done in the field. And since you asked, I do pick pups that are good looking and within the standard. I pick quality by the pedigree and parents performance. I absolutely refuse to look at an ugly dog every time I feed it and if you set those standards I have never found it hard to find a quality pup that is put together right and is a pleasure to watch ln the field or in a show ring or laying on the couch.

Sorry if this displeases you but I didn't see from the pics or descriptions anything that says I need to go look though you or anyone else is free to do so and the dogs may be way better than their pics and if they are they sure should redo their ad. And when I see dogs that are clearly out of standard my thought always is what else are they ignoring.

These are the things I don't like to say about anyones dogs on a public forum as it is just my personal opinion but I broke my rule since you seemed in need to know why I made a mild statement "I like" someone else's dog better. Hope all of the others that don't value my opinion hang on to their believes as I am sure I will continue to have opinions for a while yet.

Ezzy

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:34 am

And this is why you have lost so much credibility Ezzy. It shouldn't trouble you at all that a kennel in Canada who lives under CKC rules still calls them Brittany spaniels. In Canada, and everywhere else, they are still referred to as Brittanys Spaniels. Only the AKC has dropped the spaniel name. I would think that as a Brittany person, you would have known that.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:38 am

And how are they registered? I won't even mention the ones I was referring to are from east Texas. The Canada dogs that Sharon posted look pretty good.

Ezzy

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:46 am

Looks like dual to me. And since the kennel is located in Canada, it makes sense to go by the name designated by the Canadian Kennel Club. So, why is it an issue that a Canadian Kennel calls their dogs by the name designated by the Canadian kennel Club?

How about the dogs I posted from NE? Those dogs pedigrees are loaded with some of the best known Brittanys the breed has sever seen.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:00 am

On a much better note, a few more pictures of my female for the original post.
Bree.jpg
Bree RS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:40 am

Carolina Gundogs wrote:On a much better note, a few more pictures of my female for the original post.
Bree.jpg
Bree RS.jpg
Good looking dog & a winner too :D

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:01 am

Sharon wrote:
jetjockey wrote:

Ezzy

I am very impressed with the fact that you and ezzy can tell the height of a dog from this photo. It looks considerable shorter on the later photo.
Mod attacking breeders web sites,dogs,registration and the CKC is not nice. Ezzy Tell us about the Texas registration yo seem to be questioning.........Cj

Tony Brown

Post by Tony Brown » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks for the information guys, I emailed Ed Tillson and also talked to Eddie Orm........but let's please not turn this thread into an argument over personal taste in dogs. Thanks guys

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:41 am

Carolina Gundogs wrote:On a much better note, a few more pictures of my female for the original post.
Bree.jpg
Bree RS.jpg
That's a great looking gyp. Good luck with the breeding

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:34 am

I have a kennel full of dogs from the Flying O, easy to train and bird finding machines. Ed has been around a long time and has forgotten more about Brittanies than most will ever learn. BTW, Black is only not acceptable in show, who gives a chit? AKC papers have Black as an option in registering.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:47 am

CCBIRDDOGMAN wrote:I have a kennel full of dogs from the Flying O, easy to train and bird finding machines. Ed has been around a long time and has forgotten more about Brittanies than most will ever learn. BTW, Black is only not acceptable in show, who gives a chit? AKC papers have Black as an option in registering.

AKC has no say in color or other disqualifications. The standards are written and maintained by the American Brittany Club. The AKC has the responsibility of keeping the Stud Book for the Brittany Club. And black is an acceptable color for the French Britts but they are included in the Brittany stud Book since no organization has stepped up to represent the French dogs as a separate breed. So when you ask who cares. the MAJORITY of the members of the American Brittany Club, people like you and me.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:19 pm

Best dog I own and have ever hunted behind is from Ed that is a black/white tri color female American / French mix she is 11 years old now and still getting it done. IMO, black should be accepted.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 pm

Bree has always been a striking specimen. The style that dog portrays is built in her genes and I have found it isn't just "pretty." A dog that breaks out with that confidence usually always has the right head and heart for the purpose of performance.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Joe, thanks for the kind words!
She makes my heart race every time I see her covering the country and then nailing a bird.

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:09 pm

I have two males available. Please see the link below for more information. Let me know if I can help you.

http://gundogcentral.com/gun_dog.php?st ... 37&title=9 WEEK OLD MALE BRITTANYS

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:30 pm

The dog i have is out of the Peter Gun line and Tequila line. If you read Peter Guns bio, It would be the same for my dog.Only problem is she smarter than her trainer. Pete is from Carter in Georgia.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:33 pm

The AKC is not interested in designating FRENCH BRIITANIES as a separate Breed. The CEB-US represents them as a Breed but it's UKC.
Conformation does matter no matter regardless what breed. A dog that isn't "put together" correctly having good conformation can have
issues down the road later in life.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Tony Brown wrote:Thanks for the information guys, I emailed Ed Tillson and also talked to Eddie Orm........but let's please not turn this thread into an argument over personal taste in dogs. Thanks guys
Ed has great dogs and so does his friend, Jessica Carlson. What are you looking for in a Britt Tony? AA competition, Gun Dog or a foot handling Hunter?

Tony Brown

Post by Tony Brown » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:03 am

What am I looking for? A well bred pup increases the chance of getting a good dog, doesn't guarantee it. I like a certain look, style and DESIRE to hunt, not just run. When the dog hits the field it should know it's purpose. ...find and point birds. It should know you are there as it's master and the two of you are a team. So I also want a dog with brains.......not just a machine. I know they exist. ....I've had a few and they are a joy and make this old guy smile. :)

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:24 am

In all honesty, that's pretty easy to find in Brittanys, especially with a brit that has even half way decent breeding! That's one of the things I love about the breed. Most of them are pretty good hunting dogs. Like any breed, the really special ones are tougher to come by. I would talk to Ed and Jessica, as well as some of the other trialers/breeders. Don't get too hung up on looks though. I was no fan of roan, or all white Brittanys when I got my Roanie. Now I love roanies and all white Brits. If you plan on trialing, stay away from roanies though. Trust me on that one.

bear57

Post by bear57 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:26 am

I wondered are there Brittany lines known for producing grouse hunting dogs, similar to English setters lines? I've looked on cover dog board but only see setters and pointers.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Mr. Brown, I was wondering what you hunt most? All Brittanys are NOT creating equal.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Had my Britt out today. See prior post. She is out of Peter Gunn and the Tequila line.Her Garmin collar says she ran 18 miles at a n average speed 12 mph. She pointed enough birds for easy 2 -3 limits of CA quail. Then I had to get hard on her to get in her kennel box.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:13 am

I haven't had a lot of brittanies but all of the ones I've had were very keen hunters .....the sort of dogs you have to pull back in rather than push out. I think brits are one of the "huntingest" breeds on the planet.

Bill T.