Pheasant Hunting on Orange Co Choppers

grant
GDF Junkie

Pheasant Hunting on Orange Co Choppers

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:57 pm

Did anyone see the guys hunting pheasant on OCC?

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:50 am

Yes, SCAREY huh? mikey has a decent eye for shooting but the restof them should stick to building bikes. now if they were to throw a new bike my way i might be inclined to teach them how to hunt. Oh yea, and the dogs, i wonder how many of them needed pellets removed. some of the shots were dumb-stickity-dumb.

i still like the show tho.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:30 pm

I know! Did you see the guide taking cover whenever a bird was flushed!

lol

Grant

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:28 am

LMAO, yea, the camera guy and the editor can't be hunters either otherwise they would have seen that as a no-no. well atleat they were honest and said that they were not hunters. did you catch the trap shooting episode? they weren't as bad, but still, i am not for Govt control of any firearms, but there are people who don't need to have one.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:01 am

The son with the long hair cracks me up! Folks get a bit crazy when they see the bird fly. A $3.25 bird is not worth a human or dogs life....

Yes, They should stick to making bikes!

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:27 am

Thats Mikey!

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:32 am

He's a trip! LOL

Bird Dog 67

$3.25 Birds?!?!?!

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:31 pm

Where do I find pheasants for $3.25?!?!?! They're about 3 1/2 times that much here in WI!! :shock:

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:35 pm

Sorry, I was talking about quail..... I should have been more specific....How much do pheasant cost?

Bird Dog 67

Pheasant $

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:12 am

Hey Grant,

Pheasants at game farms here in WI run anywhere between $12 and $15 a piece. Variables include wether or not you belong to the club, breeder stock shoots, and over stock hunts. Thank god the pheasant population in Western WI where I live is gaining a very strong foothold.

Tim

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:23 pm

Bird Dog 67...how close are you to Waupaca...FlyNFeather has some great birds...prices aren't bad, either. Great people to work with, too!

Bird Dog 67

Patty

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:56 am

Hey Patty,

I live in Eau Claire so it's a pretty long haul to Waupaca. Of the very few, (probably 3) game farms that I've taken my dog out to work on, all of the proprietors have been very good to work with. It's just gets too cost prohibitive to do very often.

Tim

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun May 09, 2004 2:38 am

Paying for the birds you hunt just baffles me. I guess I've always had the luxury of hunting on my grandpa's 40 acres full of quail, or would have ask&ok rights to hunt on many tracts of farmer's land back home.

I'll just take it as me being lucky to live in small town USA when it comes to things like that.

Bird Dog 67

Clarification

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Sun May 09, 2004 10:10 am

Don't get me wrong I don't pay to "hunt" birds. The only times that I use game farms is for training purposes and the very few occoasional off season tune ups for my dog. I hunt wild pheasant, grouse, woodcock and snipe.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sun May 09, 2004 11:11 am

Hunting has changed a lot over the last twenty years. When I was a kid we had handshake permission (knock, ask, handshake permission) to most of the Texas panhandle region, a few million acres. In the area I live now, we had the same thing until about 10-15 years ago. Ten years ago I could have leased All hunting rights on every piece of ground or at least most of it in this area for 1.00 per acre and gotten it probably on a 20 year lease at that rate.

Today after the drought, and all the high tech money moving into the state in the late eighties and nineties hunting rights often generate more income per acre than grazing right do. You can lease an entire ranch for around 30.00 per acre and get absolute prime grazing and hunting land, then subdivide between deer, quail, and dove rights for a total of around 10-20.00 per acre.

You don't dare want to get caught crossing a fence any more either even if only to pick up a dead bird or deer that's run away as trespass fines can now exceed a $1000 and may even be prosecuted as a felony... yup times have really changed. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:21 pm

WildRose wrote:Hunting has changed a lot over the last twenty years. When I was a kid we had handshake permission (knock, ask, handshake permission) to most of the Texas panhandle region, a few million acres. In the area I live now, we had the same thing until about 10-15 years ago. Ten years ago I could have leased All hunting rights on every piece of ground or at least most of it in this area for 1.00 per acre and gotten it probably on a 20 year lease at that rate.
Its still like that here in Ky but times are changing and some people will start shooting at you if you get on their land for any reason.