Small Kibble

ohmymy111

Small Kibble

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:19 am

As some people know, Mona has an esophageal stricture. As a result she can not eat the same food as the rest of the dogs, Pro Plan Sport. Well that isn't exactly true, as that is what she gets, but I have to grind it up to basically powder and add a bunch of water. What I would like to see is if there is another food, with VERY small kibble, that I could feed her without having to grind it up.

Any suggestions?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Small Kibble

Post by DonF » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:55 am

Haven't looked in years but Gains used to be really small. Don't know what ever happened to them. I'm guessing your dog can't eat biscuits either. If your grinding it down so small and she can't eat biscuit's, how do you keep her teeth clean? Good luck with her!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:16 am

Look for a similar Purina product in small breed. My old dog eats Bright Mind, and can't handle the big kibble, so he gets the same food in small breed size. 30# bag costs the same.
Or, just soak your dog' s food in warm water for a while before feeding. We always wet our dogs' kibble, and 'leftovers' in the pan are always soft and mushy.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 am

soaking in water first won't do it. It just expands the size of the kibble and can't go down. She then has to regurgitate it. While the picture isn't entirely accurate, it is of her and will give you an idea of what is going on with her. Other than this issue, and how she got here is a long and expensive story, about $5000, she is a healthy girl. Very active, almost a year old, and a joy to have around. She is a pretty good little hunter as well!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:47 pm

ohmymy111 wrote:As some people know, Mona has an esophageal stricture. As a result she can not eat the same food as the rest of the dogs, Pro Plan Sport. Well that isn't exactly true, as that is what she gets, but I have to grind it up to basically powder and add a bunch of water. What I would like to see is if there is another food, with VERY small kibble, that I could feed her without having to grind it up.

Any suggestions?
Hi Mark. Quite the problem you have. As far as small kibble I know that the puppy formula of NutriSource has a small kibble but not sure it would be small enough for you. I've been feeding NutriSource dog food for 8 years and it is a premium quality food. http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/nutrisource/

I generally buy mine a Runnings. There is a Runnings in Carrington that you could buy a small bag of the puppy formula and try. Good Luck!

George

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:49 pm

The NutriSource puppy formula is very nearly the same as their Super Performance if you look at the ingredients and analysis.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:36 pm

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:56 pm

You might do what I do for my litters. Soak the food overnite---then put it into a blender and stop when it gets to the thickness of mashed potatoes. I think this would work for your older dog. :roll: JMO

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Iam's is tiny and Diamond Natural is small.

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:40 pm

My dog has mega esophagus, opposite problem of the esophagus but it sounds like it leads to the same results, he would eat and then throw it back up. I went to Walmart and bought a cheapo blender, then I soak the food for about 10 minutes in hot water and blend it up till its like a paste. It has really helped my dog, still has all his energy, just can't swallow hard food anymore.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:35 pm

I always thought that FROMM kibble was relatively small...especially the puppy formula.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Don't these dog's chew their food? I had a shorthair years ago that did that. But didn't start till after I taught him to eat. Put the bowl down for him and he sucked it down like a vacuum cleaner. threw it right back up and ate it off the ground! I don't think he had what we're talking about here. I wet my dogs food a couple time's a week and give them some canned food in it. I do believe that chewing dry food helps keep their teeth clean.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Her initial issue is often mistaken for megaesphogaus.

Yes they chew their food. But not all the food gets chewed. I tried Diamond Puppy, which is pretty small. She chewed it up pretty good, but it came back up. It had clumped back up on the way down. I will try giving it to her with some water next. At the end of the day, if I have to grind her food the rest of her life I will. Just looking for something a little more convenient.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Have you considered feeding raw? You'll need to do some region specific research for suppliers, but, I bet you will find there are a lot of grinds available.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Hadn't really thought about raw. I have 10 dogs, so I am not sure how easy it would be. Plus I live pretty much in the middle of no where. The closest Walmart is 55 miles. Sourcing might be a problem. But I will give it a look, might be just for Mona, but worth looking into.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:03 am

ohmymy111 wrote:Hadn't really thought about raw. I have 10 dogs, so I am not sure how easy it would be. Plus I live pretty much in the middle of no where. The closest Walmart is 55 miles. Sourcing might be a problem. But I will give it a look, might be just for Mona, but worth looking into.
doing your own raw is actually pretty easy. I went one step further than most and used a grinder to grind/combine the ingredients, which while upfront made more work, but when it came to the feeding/storage of the food made it much more convenient.

If interested in my procedure/recipe, let me know, I think I still have it saved somewhere!

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:18 am

ohmymy111 wrote:As some people know, Mona has an esophageal stricture. As a result she can not eat the same food as the rest of the dogs, Pro Plan Sport. Well that isn't exactly true, as that is what she gets, but I have to grind it up to basically powder and add a bunch of water. What I would like to see is if there is another food, with VERY small kibble, that I could feed her without having to grind it up.

Any suggestions?
Try Bil-Jac Adult Select. It is excellent food and very soft and very easy to digest. It falls apart almost immediately in water and can easily be crushed with light pressure. It is also very easy to find at Petco, Petsmart and any number of independent stores. Petco and Petsmart have free online shipping as well.

It is a pellet food, not a hard extruded kibble. It contains no corn gluten and would be considered several grades better than Pro Plan. It is also a very rich food at 28/17.