Car Sick Pup

Big Dave

Car Sick Pup

Post by Big Dave » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:16 pm

My hunting partner bought a new weanling pup a couple of months ago. She threw up on the ride home and now throws up every time he takes her for a ride. She is nearly four months old now. I am looking for some ideas to get this to stop.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Car Sick Pup

Post by shags » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Dramamine. Might need it for only a few times.

Or, put the dog in it's box but don't start the truck. Happy time.
Next time, dog in the box, run the truck but don't take it out of park. Happy time.
Then next time, go to the end of the driveway and return. Happy time.
Fourth time, go around the block. Happy time.
After that, add distance but end up at some place fun for the dog.
It might make a difference which way the dog is facing in travels. Some do better aimed sideways, some better aimed back or front.

Dramamine is a lot easier and faster though.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:46 pm

These things tend to go away overtime, but what Shags laid out as a plan will speed the process. Also...Dramamine does work.

My most recent pup was a drooler. He drooled from the second he got put in the crate in the truck 'till I took him out. It was kinda gross and a gooey mess. Nervousness I guess.

Eventually he got over it. I think he was about 7-8 mos. old when it just stopped. I just, this past weekend, took him on a 5 hour ride and he was fine both going to and coming.

It will pass.

RayG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:15 pm

First trip with Stormy was home from Washington picking him up. Had been a long time since he ate and was alright. Next time I don't recall where I went but he definatelly got sick and the next. I cut it down to trips to the post office, about 450 yds from home. He doe's fine now! I've never tried that drug but then I haven't had many dog that get car sick.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:24 pm

Most dogs outgrow it by 6-12 months. Regardless, I do not like Dramamine because it makes them sleepy and can throw off their scenting...! We use a product called Bonine. It is available at most drug stores. It is safe and does not make dogs or people sleepy. They need to take it at least 30 min. prior to traveling. I use it also as I get motion sickness in cars, unless driving. In planes and boats...it works really well for our dogs and me! For puppies we use 1/2 tablet. If you have an older dog that needs it, I would give them 1 tablet. I am not Vet, so ask your vet. I have heard that ginger can help dogs with motion sickness, but since I have bonnie, I use it, whenever we have ever needed it...

Good Luck

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:21 pm

My friend swears by ginger snaps, I gave up and let pup ride in the cab.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:53 pm

all my dog got sick when they were young but grew out of it by a year old

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:21 am

I've only had a handful of dogs who would get car sick but the ones that did never grew out of it unfortunately. I used children's dramamine when I needed to move them.