Lab puppy

evans213

Lab puppy

Post by evans213 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:03 pm

I have a cousin looking for a lab puppy and he came across one in SC. Here is the Sire and dam's pedigrees, attached. I cant find much on the dam, but the sire looks really good. What do you all think and how does the dams papers look? He is looking for something to hunt with and also have be a in home pet. He would also possibly do a couple breeding's and I am trying to talk him into hunt tests and such.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

evans213

Re: Lab puppy

Post by evans213 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Sorry about the file size, I don't know how to change it.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:39 am

What do you think looks good about the pedigrees? Few dogs that have hunt test titles and a couple fc's in the sire's pedigree. Nothing in the dams. Hard to tell from that. No doubt the pups will hunt but there's not many ancestors in the pedigrees that have proven themselves

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:42 pm

I agree that the sires pedigree looks good but nothing really shows on the dams. In a case like this I would try to find out more about her. Just because there are no titles has little bearing on how the dogs hunt. See if you can find people who are familiar with the dogs and question them.

Ezzy

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:57 pm

evans213 wrote:I have a cousin looking for a lab puppy and he came across one in SC. Here is the Sire and dam's pedigrees, attached. I cant find much on the dam, but the sire looks really good. What do you all think and how does the dams papers look? He is looking for something to hunt with and also have be a in home pet. He would also possibly do a couple breeding's and I am trying to talk him into hunt tests and such.
I don't have the time to try and look at the over sized pictures ,not that it would matter. Asking how the Dam's pedigree looks would be the same as asking yourself ...or friend. If Your friend is looking for something to hunt then he/she may well be best to get out and Look at the Dam and or any siblings or offspring even then It's a lottery dependent on whom has them and what they have done with them .
As for 'Have a pet in the Home ' ?..that's not in any breeding and never will be !
If he/she is planning on possible breeding's down the line then that requires a chapter (possibly a book ) that both require to read...Unless it's for re-sale of pedigree names achievements at competition level.
The task of 'Trying to talk some one into Hunt Tests' is a thankless one . They should be trying to convince You .

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:23 pm

At least a few of the owners have done health checks on their dogs before breeding them---about 1/2 the dogs have OFA hip certification, a few have OF elbow certification, and one has it's eyes certified. A lot of the dogs have been DNA'd which usually means they have been bred a few times.
Not much for field titles on Mom's side. Dad's side shows a few field titles. I wouldn't get into a big hurry about breeding a litter until the dogs prove themselves and you do health checks on them. JMO--but I'm a Brittany owner :roll: & don't know much about the lab world other than they can be prone to health problems

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Good field bred Labs are readily available. More than any other retriever....twice as many registered as the next sporting dog breed!

I would never look at a litter whose parents do not have full health clearances. Hips, eyes, heart, etc. Secondly, I would not look at a littler in which the parents and grandparents did not have Either AFC, or FC titles or MH hunt test titles.

I say this because field labs with these credentials are readily available...And dogs with this health background and field work background have a higher percentage of being a top hunting companion. I am not saying that a dog with less would not be a good dog, but your odds drop substantially. My rule of thumb, is to get the very best dog I can afford. By the way driving out of state to pick up a dog or flying a new pup is not a big deal with a breeder that has top dogs....I have done both....with great results....

Check on www.entryexpress.net You may have to search to find this website. They have a puppy listing their and they all are by breed and all are field bred.

Good Luck

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:46 pm

evans213 wrote:I have a cousin looking for a lab puppy and he came across one in SC. Here is the Sire and dam's pedigrees, attached. I cant find much on the dam, but the sire looks really good. What do you all think and how does the dams papers look? He is looking for something to hunt with and also have be a in home pet. He would also possibly do a couple breeding's and I am trying to talk him into hunt tests and such.
Based solely on the pedigree's you have going two generation out, one MH dog, between the two sides. IMO that is a poor. Is this litter already on the ground? (Sire is only 26 months old)

evans213

Post by evans213 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks for the input. Yes the litter is already on the ground, it was an accidental breeding at this time. The owner was going to wait for the male to get a little older and get all health certs on both done before breeding. But one slipped out of the gate and now there are puppies.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:50 pm

I think my post probably sounded harsh but it wasn't meant to. My point was its not a stellar breeding and with a breed as common as a lab I would never settle for a litter that didn't come from health tested parents.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I think my post probably sounded harsh but it wasn't meant to. My point was its not a stellar breeding and with a breed as common as a lab I would never settle for a litter that didn't come from health tested parents.
Good comment

evans213

Post by evans213 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:59 pm

Riptide Ragin Bull Sprig (the sires sire on the top side) is only one in the country. He's the only chocolate lab in the country to have the titles he has, according to my research. After I researched all the names in each pedigree the topside is loaded with hunting and testing titles. The bottom side is very sparse with not much info on them. I have seen both the site and the dam of the puppy and both are good dogs. If this site was bred to a more renowned female with more lineage then these pups would be a lot more money. I appreciate everyone's input on this one and have adviced my cousin of all the helpful and informative posts and the decision is ultimately his. If I was looking for a lab I would be more willing to travel to get one, as good hunting (water only in this case) is hard to find around us. He isn't willing to get a pup from across country if need be. So we will see what he does. Thanks again for the wonderful input and no hurt feelings here.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:45 pm

evans213 wrote:Riptide Ragin Bull Sprig (the sires sire on the top side) is only one in the country. He's the only chocolate lab in the country to have the titles he has, according to my research. After I researched all the names in each pedigree the topside is loaded with hunting and testing titles. The bottom side is very sparse with not much info on them. I have seen both the site and the dam of the puppy and both are good dogs. If this site was bred to a more renowned female with more lineage then these pups would be a lot more money. I appreciate everyone's input on this one and have adviced my cousin of all the helpful and informative posts and the decision is ultimately his. If I was looking for a lab I would be more willing to travel to get one, as good hunting (water only in this case) is hard to find around us. He isn't willing to get a pup from across country if need be. So we will see what he does. Thanks again for the wonderful input and no hurt feelings here.
As in Master Hunter????? Or are you seeing something else?

evans213

Post by evans213 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Yes, since this pedigree was issued b AKC, he has received other titles. By googling his registered name you can find lots of information on him.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:45 pm

evans213 wrote:Yes, since this pedigree was issued b AKC, he has received other titles. By googling his registered name you can find lots of information on him.
Your research hasn't taken you very far or with much accuracy on "the only chocolate (L)ab in the country to have the titles he has" - starting with a National Field Champion (NFC) of which there has been only one chocolate http://www.lorkenfarms.com/storm's_riptide_star_ped.htm
and another choco bitch recently deceased that was perhaps the greatest performance dog ever of her breed and particular color, call name "Ammo:" http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=12594

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:00 pm

crackerd wrote:
evans213 wrote:Yes, since this pedigree was issued b AKC, he has received other titles. By googling his registered name you can find lots of information on him.
Your research hasn't taken you very far or with much accuracy on "the only chocolate (L)ab in the country to have the titles he has" - starting with a National Field Champion (NFC) of which there has been only one chocolate http://www.lorkenfarms.com/storm's_riptide_star_ped.htm
and another choco bitch recently deceased that was perhaps the greatest performance dog ever of her breed and particular color, call name "Ammo:" http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=12594

MG
Often I think it's a bad thing to educate or inform some on the Internet/forums , ?
It becomes a 'well better they didn't know' . Prudence may well say 'But ,it's helping others' ...I'm not so sure ?.. I knew about ''Ammo'' ..and I'm 3,000 miles away . I'm bad ..
I also know a brilliant retriever named 'Bella' ... ....Wouldn't tell you her registered name ...even if you killed me ... :wink: ...We keep these ones .

evans213

Post by evans213 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:23 pm

No arguments from me. I find most all the info I read here very informative and helpful.

http://drypondkennel.com/grhrch-riptide ... rdquo.html

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:35 pm

evans213 wrote:No arguments from me. I find most all the info I read here very informative and helpful.

Looks like you have all the intel you need for 'Your friend' :)

evans213

Post by evans213 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:45 pm

polmaise wrote:
evans213 wrote:No arguments from me. I find most all the info I read here very informative and helpful.

Looks like you have all the intel you need for 'Your friend' :)

I posted this to simply see if the dogs in the sires pedigree were as good as what the research I gathered says they are. As well to see if anyone had heard of the dams bloodline as I couldn't find anything on them. Again, I thought the top side looked good and according to the other links posted a few posts above are better than I thought they were. :D

Thanks for all the help.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:15 am

Including from the link you posted above - it's legit info, if a little skewed with breeder hyperbole as Lab or retriever titles go. Especially the SRS title - that stands for Super Retriever Series, which is (was?) a made-for-TV hybrid of field trials and hunt tests, "played" with rubber ducks instead of live birds (see made-for-TV reference). Very few competitive retriever trainers participate in the SRS, which has been around only, what, 10 years or so - started with a bang then seemed to wane and become less popular with each passing year. The QAA title? That stands for "Qualified All-Age," and every chocolate Lab that's become an FC - and I've run against a number of them - automatically becomes QAA by winning or placing in an all-age stake. However, many people who have QAA Labs (of any color) don't even reference it as it's not an AKC field official title. The HRC title - Grand Hunting Retriever Champion - is probably worn by any number of chocolate Labs since that organization started 30-35 years ago.

But in short you did right trying to gather as much info as you could about the sire - and the dam.

MG

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:35 am

Best of luck in your search with finding a pet!
Personally I would much like to be looking a six generation peds when doing my diligence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:51 am

Here is a 6 Gen pedigree that I have under consideration. I appreciate the Dam's line very much.