Aggressive pup

chrisss

Aggressive pup

Post by chrisss » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:24 am

A pup that I have chosen has shown some aggression towards other pups already. Should this be a concern? I started to notice this behavior while visiting the pup at the breeder. The breeder feeds all the pups together on the floor with no bowl. The pup will not allow any pups to eat so the breeder would remove my pup and allow the other to eat first and my pup eat afterwards. His mom shows signs of aggression from time to time. I have 2 older dog at my house. My question is would this be a concern and would this aggression carry on to adult hood? I hunt with buddies who also owns dogs and do not like or want a aggressive dog. Would this be a genetic trait or a behavior i can break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crackerd

Re: Aggressive pup

Post by crackerd » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:36 am

Is your breeder Dr. Pavlov by chance?

"Only the strong survive" food conditioning wouldn't be my top choice for breeder encouragement of pups' natural instincts.

Something you have to "break" a pup of is not exactly a great way of starting out your training - and you may know of the old saying that goes, "If you're not training a puppy, a puppy's training you."

Figuring that I know what breed you're considering, though no purpose served in speculating. What more do you know about the breeder's history in producing working, biddable gundogs?

MG

chrisss

Aggressive pup

Post by chrisss » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:47 am

The breeder notified me that this pup is the first that he has seen with this type of behavior. He has had 7 litters in the past and none has shown this behavior. The female was newly introduced into his breeding program. The female has had other litters before she was purchased. The breeder has told me that the female can be possessive at times. I have been given a choice consider a different pick. These are GWP pups. At 8 weeks this pup shows signs of possessiveness and it worries me. Would this be something i can train out or is it genetics?

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:03 am

i would pick a diff. pup dont go for the shy one either pick one that seems bold an sure of it self the pup that seems to want to fight mayby just a pup thing but iv found that they want to be the dom.one and will try you more than normal bottom line is you want to put all the odds you can in your fav..

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:22 am

setterpoint wrote:i would pick a diff. pup dont go for the shy one either pick one that seems bold an sure of it self the pup that seems to want to fight mayby just a pup thing but iv found that they want to be the dom.one and will try you more than normal bottom line is you want to put all the odds you can in your fav..
I agree with setterpoint, select a different pup. You shouldn't go thru life having to worry about your dog fighting your friends dogs or your dog trying to dominate everyone in your family that walks by his bowl or possesions. You MIGHT be able to train it out of it, but deep down it will still be there and you'll have to worry about it---life is too short to fight a possessive/aggressive dog, get one that respects you, your family, your friends, and other animals & it will be a lot more ENJOYABLE 12 years with the dog!! JMO
EDIT: I'm adding don't get the shy pup out of the litter if you get a different pup.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:38 pm

deseeker wrote:
setterpoint wrote:i would pick a diff. pup dont go for the shy one either pick one that seems bold an sure of it self the pup that seems to want to fight mayby just a pup thing but iv found that they want to be the dom.one and will try you more than normal bottom line is you want to put all the odds you can in your fav..
I agree with setterpoint, select a different pup. You shouldn't go thru life having to worry about your dog fighting your friends dogs or your dog trying to dominate everyone in your family that walks by his bowl or possesions. You MIGHT be able to train it out of it, but deep down it will still be there and you'll have to worry about it---life is too short to fight a possessive/aggressive dog, get one that respects you, your family, your friends, and other animals & it will be a lot more ENJOYABLE 12 years with the dog!! JMO
EDIT: I'm adding don't get the shy pup out of the litter if you get a different pup.
Picking a different pup gets my vote also. Maybe a different litter. Depending on the degree of aggression in the dam. I would be more concerned about the dam's aggressiveness. I feed all my puppies together sometimes they argue a little but they do not chase the other puppies away. Generally A bird dog needs to get along with other
dogs...................Cj

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:11 pm

GWP's can have the propensity to be aggressive, they were not bred to be wallflowers. If the female is aggressive, there is a high likelihood that the pups will be aggressive. If it was me, I'd pick from another litter that has a proven track record of producing dogs with good attitudes.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm agreeing with a different litter. I have the dominant female out of a litter, and she will forever be the dominant female.

Shellottome

Aggressive pup

Post by Shellottome » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Your pup would be my choice.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:12 am

If you will be hunting alongside other people with their dogs I would go to another litter. I've seen aggressively possessive dogs give another dog a mauling if both dogs arrive at the same bird while hunting.

You do not have to take the chance that this pup or any other pup from that particular litter will be "O.K." so I think you'd be best to look elsewhere.

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:59 pm

chrisss wrote:A pup that I have chosen has shown some aggression towards other pups already. Should this be a concern? I started to notice this behavior while visiting the pup at the breeder. The breeder feeds all the pups together on the floor with no bowl. The pup will not allow any pups to eat so the breeder would remove my pup and allow the other to eat first and my pup eat afterwards. His mom shows signs of aggression from time to time. I have 2 older dog at my house. My question is would this be a concern and would this aggression carry on to adult hood? I hunt with buddies who also owns dogs and do not like or want a aggressive dog. Would this be a genetic trait or a behavior i can break?
Is this for real ?...and to all the others that have given comment regarding 'choose another' !!
This 'IS' a puppy that is being talked about ..Right?...So 'chrisss' ...Explain please (just for clarification) this 'some aggression' behavior You noticed 'already' ..? I presume it was on a visit before the intended collection date ,so the 'puppy's' would be 6 weeks old or less ?... Now, secondly , ''His mom shows signs of aggression from time to time'' ..Clarify this if you can Sir?' ..do you mean she was protective with her puppy's when strangers like you visit her baby's and perhaps at feeding times or just invading her space to have a pick up and touch 'Your chosen one' ? ...
Get real guys ...this is a puppy we are talking about who knows nothing other than the last 2 0r 3 weeks in it's life since it opened it's eyes !!!
Now ,I don't know what it has experienced in them couple of weeks ......
Nowadays it would appear they should come from the breeder with titles on obedience already achieved at 8 weeks old .! Saves us all the training I suppose.
It's a puppy !!!!!!

Tmechelberry

Aggressive pup

Post by Tmechelberry » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:17 pm

[quote="Shellottome"]Your pup would be my choice.

Agree

volraider

Post by volraider » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:02 am

You probably need a different breed if you have issues with puppies growling at each other. I'm not trying to be mean just honest. There's Alpha pups in every litter and breeders should avoid selling them to pet owners or novice hunters.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 pm

My 2 cents, find another litter. Our dog club has had 2 GWPs put down due to agressiveness and a 3rd banned last year. All were great dogs but attacked other dogs or a person. They were aggressive as pups and even with good training they still couldn't be trusted around other dogs in any way.

Shellottome

Aggressive pup

Post by Shellottome » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:13 pm

MSU Aggie send those aggressive ones my way next time. I turn those dogs into hunting MACHINES.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:19 pm

There is quite a difference between a pup that is aggressive hunters and pups that are aggressive towards dogs and people. The one makes a terrific hunter if you get them trained. The other might be a great hunter but can't handle the completion of another dog and that is probably impossible to ever correct.

Shellottome

Aggressive pup

Post by Shellottome » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Would you agree they deserve a chance before being put down?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:29 pm

That is up to the owner, breeder, or whoever is involved. I can't sit at a computer and make those decisions. I have add to make that decisions several times when working with them and it depends on many circumstances and what the pup can learn, but you have to know it is not always possible to change the disposition of the pup.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:31 pm

[quote="Shellottome"]Would you agree they deserve a chance before being put down?

Absolutely , BUT it is the owner/ breeder's job to give the pup a chance or a buyer who knows exactly what he/ she is getting into based on experience. ; NOT to be selling it to an inexperienced buyer.

I rescue Jack Russell terriers . They are very common in shelters as they are cute pups, but require an experienced hand. Often , because of a breeding that can't be changed I have to put them down.

Oh he's so cute> BUT a bully of other dogs ( has to be fed in a separate room) and muzzled around strangers.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:19 am

It does sound like the breeder is being honest with you.
Do you have the knowledge and ability to deal with an aggressive pup? Do you you have small children?
I really don't see why any body would pick the most aggressive pup in a litter.
Bird dogs that want
To fight other dogs are a major PIA and can get you the boot in any competition and cancel your invitation to hunt with other people.
If your dog bites somebody it can change your life forever and end the dogs life. It is not about what the dog deserves. it is about your ability and what you want in a dog. Proceed with caution.
Puppies play rough and tempers flair sometimes but truly aggressive dogs are easy to see in a litter. We feed all of our puppies together just as your breeder does. This is one of the ways we test temperament. We almost never have a puppy who fights over food and if we did we would be very careful about the buyer and yes, if it was bad we would put it down. We would not do that breeding again .........................Cj

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:30 am

The dogs that were put down were given multiple chances and only put down after killing another dog and attacking a kid. Neither was being provoked, according to the owners. I'm sorry I don't care how good they hunt there is no place for dogs like that.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:53 am

i have already posted once .but on a good note just because the dog wants to be the boss of the litter that alone dose not make it a killer.dogs even puppys will take there place in the pack there will always be the dom pup most of the time they will all try the other pups till one wins out. iv delt with this befor in my own pups iv raised over the years the dom, pup of the litter will try you more than the others but if you dont take the dom roll then the dog will .as i said i would pick another pup but it dont mean that pup cant be trained or will turn out bad but it will take a firm hand you will have to show the pup its place in the packing order

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:32 am

It is very easy to tell the difference in a dominant dog and an overly aggressive dog. Dominant dogs rarely have to fight. It is more about attitude.
My rule is do not sell a buyer a pup that will over power him...........Cj

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:19 pm

I reject pups from litters for various reasons one of them being that I'm not much of a gambling man. If I saw a pup that was consistently the most "aggressive" pup in a litter , I'd reject it "just in case."

I don't know what hunting is like in the states but over here we regularly put 6 or more dogs into the back of a landrover together with a few laddies who work as beaters on the grouse moors etc. That vehicle then goes over rough roads or rough country which throws the dogs and the laddies about in the back of the landie. If just one dog is a nasty tempered "bleeper" then all heck gets loosed in the vehicle.

Having had to pay the vet bill when one of my dogs got mauled I don't want a nasty tempered dog no matter how good a worker it may be. I don't fancy paying compensation either should a person get bitten.
If I do not have to take a chance then I don't take it.

Bill T.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:54 am

I guess that we have two personalities.
It could be the dominant pup in the litter. Seems to me the litters I've seen, it's usually a female. They try to be dominate over the litter, usually shows when eating as pups. Turns into a female that is dominant in the house. Usually everywhere. Any female that doesn't show submissive attitude usually means a fight. Usually smart but not bidable. Usually a real pain to train, they want things their way not yours. Can be real bird finding machines in the right hands. NOT SUGGESTED for the average hunter that trains a dog every 10 years.
Dominant dogs can be aggressive but it can usually be compensated for.
Aggressive dogs can't be fixed by the average hunter trainer. Not sure if experienced trainers can.

If it's the dominant pup. You should pick a different pup. Best to pick a middle of the road pup for the average hunter trainer.you will have a much more pleasurable experience . If the mother shows true aggression I would wait for a different litter out of a different female. The breed in general was bred to be sharp. So I would look for a litter where the parents don't show strong signs of this.

Looks like the breeder is trying to be strait up with you. He is giving you an out. That is a sign in itself. Looks like he thinks this pup isn't for you. And he know. In reality an average hunter trainer should ask for help picking a pup and nobody knows the pups better than the breeder.

Like Bill T said. Why take a chance. This is for the next 12 years. A bad decision lasts a long time. Not good for you or the dog.

Just my opinion.

Shellottome

Aggressive pup

Post by Shellottome » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Chrisss sorry for hijacking your thread. I guess you should do what you feel is right. Best of luck on your pick.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:08 am

greg jacobs wrote: Looks like the breeder is trying to be strait up with you. He is giving you an out. That is a sign in itself. Looks like he thinks this pup isn't for you. And he know. In reality an average hunter trainer should ask for help picking a pup and nobody knows the pups better than the breeder.

Like Bill T said. Why take a chance. This is for the next 12 years. A bad decision lasts a long time. Not good for you or the dog.

Just my opinion.
+1

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 am

Well, someone will have to take the pup ....or the Breeder keeps it ?..Of course the breeder would have an obligation to warn any future buyer regarding concerns of Aggressive behavior.
So maybe the OP is not the right person for this one, but what I absolutely do know ,is that it's 1,000 times harder to fix one that has become aggressive in anyone's environment including a chosen puppy at 6 weeks old based on a visit and a choice of which one is cutest

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:37 am

polmaise wrote:Well, someone will have to take the pup ....or the Breeder keeps it ?..Of course the breeder would have an obligation to warn any future buyer regarding concerns of Aggressive behavior.
So maybe the OP is not the right person for this one, but what I absolutely do know ,is that it's 1,000 times harder to fix one that has become aggressive in anyone's environment including a chosen puppy at 6 weeks old based on a visit and a choice of which one is cutest
This is the absolute truth..........Cj