Training with birds

Ghostware

Training with birds

Post by Ghostware » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:05 am

For people who don't have facility's at their house to permanently house quail and pigeons what is the general rule of thumb for the length of time that you are able to keep birds in temporary cages or bags before they need to be released?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randomnut

Re: Training with birds

Post by randomnut » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:11 am

When I buy good flying pigeons I'm not keeping, I keep them in a kennel. Longest I've kept them has been 3 days, and they flew fine.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:04 pm

Give them enough room some where and they will breed. Doesn't take a lot to keep pigeons and I think the only way they die is they get shot! You have enough room on your own property most likely for a 4' x 4' coop! Most people do.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Ghostware wrote:For people who don't have facility's at their house to permanently house quail and pigeons what is the general rule of thumb for the length of time that you are able to keep birds in temporary cages or bags before they need to be released?

As long as they can get some food, water they can live anywhere. tough birds, i have known some people who have kept in a dog box for quite awhile waiting to use them.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:31 pm

I used to buy 6-10 pigeons at a time and kept them in a pet carrier. 3 or 4 days would be the max I'd keep them. After that they don't fly well.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Ghostware wrote:For people who don't have facility's at their house to permanently house quail and pigeons what is the general rule of thumb for the length of time that you are able to keep birds in temporary cages or bags before they need to be released?

less than a week. It's not the food or water . it's the chance to fly that they need .

I buy 6 at a small bird auction and use them up that week.

HuntMac

Post by HuntMac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:02 am

I have kept up to 5 pigeons in a window well for 3 months. I get them out at least once a week and train with them while carded. They were hard flying everytime I used them.