GSP question

SouthernTied

GSP question

Post by SouthernTied » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:37 am

Hello all. When I picked my GSP from the litter originally he was about the same size as the other pups if not a littler bigger. Now at now at 10 months old he has held 43.8pbs for the last 2 months. No matter how much I feed or alternexervise routine he is holding that weight. My vet originally said he was on track to hit the high 60s but I have noticed no growth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP question

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:48 am

Do you have brothers and sisters and are you all the same size? If it was mine, I would say I was lucky but we all have our preferences. But you are going to have to accept the size your pup genetically inherited and feed is not going to change that other than cause it to be thin or fat. Feed what the pup needs to stay in condition and enjoy what you get.

Ezzy

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:00 am

That's a great looking dog and I wouldn’t worry about it provided you are engaged with a veterinarian who knows the dog. I would seek out siblings as Ezzy suggested though..just because.

A little off topic but noteworthy - some would say that slow growth and development is a good thing..by 2 or 2-1/2 your dog will have fully developed and filled out. Not so sure it’s a good idea to try and quicken this process or to supplement nature. Also, pay attention to behaviors that can strain joints during development (persistently running on pavement, jumping from tailgates onto pavement, et al)

SouthernTied

Post by SouthernTied » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

All of the siblings are in the 50-55lb range right now.

reba

Post by reba » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:27 am

You have a beautiful dog.

Size means nothing when it come to finding birds. However a small GSP in ruff country may be better.

Remember NO FAT DOGS!!!!!

I would take your dog without any questions.

I'll pay for shipping.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:28 am

We had a litter once and your experience sounds familiar. The largest pup (Layne) at birth and as continued for the first 16 weeks or so ended up being the lightest and most lean dog of the litter once they all developed. She was a white "western" dog..she was one fast dog and lived to a nice healthy age of 15-1/2.

Good luck and just stay tuned with the vet.

Shellottome

GSP question

Post by Shellottome » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:45 pm

To me that size is better than 60 pounds. That dog will have great stamina and handle heat better. I wouldn't be discouraged. It's actually a blessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernTied

Post by SouthernTied » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:22 pm

I was hoping for 55-60 but I will be happy regardless. He's a great dog and companion. We just got back from a week long vacation to Florida and he was not thrilled about being home and kenneled. As y'all can see he is by no means fat. He gets ample exercise. The vet recommended 3-4 cups of pro plan sport 30/20 a day. I switch between focus and sport depending on activity level for that day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Don't sweat it, he's still growing and maturing. You'll have periods of growth in height and weight, not at the same time. My 14 month old pup was cruising up to 50 pounds now he's getting muscle definition and requires double the food he did just 2 months ago to maintain weight.

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:35 am

Your dog is beautiful and I as well think you are lucky. My male is a solid 90lbs. I love his size but food goes twice as fast. Enjoy him and he should fill out a bit more after 2 years of age.