Foot hunting pointer lines:

JJT

Foot hunting pointer lines:

Post by JJT » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Will be in the market for a pup in the next year or so. Never owned a pointer but want to give it a try. I'm looking for dogs that range 200-400 yards in open country, that are biddable and decent around kids and family. What lines have you had and seen that may fit the description?

Nervous about the breed because I don't need a huge running dog that is aloof:) all the stereotypes right..

Any info appreciated...

madmurph

Re: Foot hunting pointer lines:

Post by madmurph » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 pm

You should get some good responses from several pointer owners regarding this topic here. I think that you will find many pointers that are great with your kids and family and be able to work within the range that you're looking for. 400 yards isn't exactly a boot polisher. Mine is Elhew/Miller bred and she is great with kids. I spoke with two gentlemen who purchased dogs from Mark Wendling at Superior Pointers. He has a couple of litters per year and breeds for the foot hunter. Both gentlemen said that their dogs made good family house pets and are closer working than many. Mark may be worth checking out. You will get several other recommendations as well. Do your homework and you shouldn't have a problem finding what you are looking for.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:31 am

JJT-

The stereotype of pointers is much less true today than it was forty years ago.

The pointers I have had in the last fifteen to twenty years have been, for the most part, very good family pets, when given the chance.

Please understand that I select my dogs from top level shooting dog/all age breedings, because I field trial. I also hunt on preserves with the same dogs.

My current pup is directly out of a National Shooting Dog Champion(Horseback) sire and a winning grouse dog(walking) gyp. He is 14 months old and about 60#. When I run him of horseback, he runs at 3-400 yards to the front. When I walk, he is typically within 100 - 150 yards.

He WANTS to stay with me because he likes me. I have two other females, one 11 years old and one 8 years old, whom I can take hunting without e-collars on a preserve. Both are out of top field breeding, have won horseback and walking field trials and are great with my grandkids, even though they are 100% kennel dogs. They sometimes will rub themselves on our legs when we are sitting in the back yard, just as a cat might. They crave affection.

Now, for the flip side... I also have a five year old female out of top shelf breeding, who is a blackhearted PIA. She will try to get away from me to go and do her own thing. She is a lover in the yard, and flawless in training, but cannot be trusted in the field. She will stick it to me just about every time.

Sooo, I think you should have plenty of choices that will work for you. Most pointers from top shelf lines have the tools. Most also have the ability to suck it in or reel it out, as necessary. To be successful at trials, a dog needs to be able to negotiate different terrain and maintain contact with their handler over meandering courses that sometimes have sharp turns. You cannot win a trial with a lost dog, so the dog has to figure out a way to stay with you. They need to be able to have variable, terrain dependent and job dependent ranges.

If you want to hedge your bet even further, you can focus your search on pups out of walking field trial champions. these are dogs with all the tools and all the abilities, but who have demonstrated that they can and will operate at ranges consistent with a walking handler. Again...remember...you cannot win with a lost dog. The dog has to handle...has to be out front...but not too far.. and has to check in to make sure it is still in contact.

Find a puppy from top field breeding that WANTS" to be with you and then take that pup home and make very good friends with it. Make that pup think the sun rises and sets out of your butt and that you are where the fun is at. You should be just fine. Just keep in mind that these dogs are supreme athletes and need an outlet for their energy. I have a large fenced in yard and the dogs will runfor fifteen to twenty minures, pretty much non-stop when first let out. Very normal for the breed.

RayG

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:27 pm

RayGubernat, that was one of the best posts I've ever read regarding Pointers. It's honest, to-the-point and based on personal experience....it don't get much better than that!

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Might want to check out some of the kennels with grouse lines.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm

I foot hunt behind these pointers all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qKKaKeg-ho

Bigdon

Post by Bigdon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:31 pm

I have female EP from Sunrise kennels in Tucson. She was started with the Higgins method.
We hunt Arizona Montana Iowa and preserve birds. Her range and quartering are always appropriate to the terrain and type of bird.
if she is typical of this kennel then they are very smart and she is also a great house dog.
I agree with other posts in that the dog must want to hunt with you. For that to happen they have to learn that they can get more birds by working with you.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:27 pm

I'm a foot hunter and have had not problems hunting under my pointer.I have a litter that just started hitting the ground today. I have some pics and video on this forum of her,just research my name or your more than welcome to call me.

the sire is Hale's main event , which is out of Erin's Stoney River & Erin's Butterfly

My female is out I B Spu'r'n & Hot Lips Jazzabelle. Hot lips is out of IB Yastrzemski & IB Bean all from ranchonekennels.

should be a pretty good wild bird litter. Troy 661 599 five eight one nine.