Hunt test question

Zlr1980

Hunt test question

Post by Zlr1980 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi

I am getting my springer pup in April and have looking into getting in hunt tests with him at some point. Ive never done hunt tests before so its all new to me. I was reading on the AKC website about eligible breeds to compete in spaniel hunt tests and it looks like they allow retrievers such as Labs, Chesapeakes and goldens to participate in them but then springers were not one of the eligible spaniel breeds to participate in retriever hunt tests. My brother in law breeds labs and participates in hunt tests with his so I was thinking itd be fun to be able to go together but it doesnt look like i could go to his retriever hunt tests but he could participate in a spaniel hunt test with his labs? Am i understanding that correctly just thought it was goofy how it goes one way but not the other.. Thanks

mnaj_springer

Re: Hunt test question

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:41 pm

You understand correctly.

Although spaniels are fantastic retrievers, they don't run straight lines as well as labs, and they're not suppose to run straight lines. That's not the reason they aren't an eligible breed but it's a thought.

You could still do your spaniel hunt tests then go to the retriever hunt tests and volunteer to help out. My experience is that a helping hand is always welcome!

Zlr1980

Post by Zlr1980 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:10 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:You understand correctly.

Although spaniels are fantastic retrievers, they don't run straight lines as well as labs, and they're not suppose to run straight lines. That's not the reason they aren't an eligible breed but it's a thought.

You could still do your spaniel hunt tests then go to the retriever hunt tests and volunteer to help out. My experience is that a helping hand is always welcome!

thanks for the response! I will be lucky to get to attend spaniel hunt tests for myself having a wife and two little girls there isnt a ton of time left over lol

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Zlr1980 wrote:thanks for the response! I will be lucky to get to attend spaniel hunt tests for myself having a wife and two little girls there isnt a ton of time left over lol
Ha! You're just worried that they'll see a litter of puppies at a hunt test, and you'll wind up with another dog. :wink:

Zlr1980

Post by Zlr1980 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Zlr1980 wrote:thanks for the response! I will be lucky to get to attend spaniel hunt tests for myself having a wife and two little girls there isnt a ton of time left over lol
Ha! You're just worried that they'll see a litter of puppies at a hunt test, and you'll wind up with another dog. :wink:

that probably isnt to far fetched :D THant brings up another question are hunt tests something the whole family can come along to or would it be pretty boring for a wife and kids to go to them?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Absolutely . They are great fun for the whole family. Normally a $$ contribution is made for lunch.

(Of course the kids can't be running around the testing field. Also teach to always ask the handler FIRST before petting a dog .)

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Yes! Bring the family!

The club I'm in employs the kids. We teach them to plant birds, carry the bird basket, run the bird launcher, clean birds, etc. Then we call them "Rats!" (affectionately). They love it!

Plus we have a potluck meal that leaves you so full you have to roll home.