Clearcut Kennels

Maninthearena

Clearcut Kennels

Post by Maninthearena » Mon May 01, 2017 10:47 am

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Gordon Setters from Clearcut Kennels outside of Duluth, MN. I had the chance to go up and visit them recently and was pretty impressed with the grouse dogs Dean Fries has been producing up there.

A little background on myself, I do a lot of grouse and woodcock hunting in MN/WI with a little bit of pheasant thrown in. Currently without a dog but am in the market for a new pointing dog pup within the next year, I also have some interest in doing hunt tests. Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated!

Steve007

Re: Clearcut Kennels

Post by Steve007 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:59 pm

I have. Don't blame you for being impressed. An excellent reputation, good dogs and a topflight breed, if you keep away from hardcore dedicated show dogs (there are "dual dogs" that are very worthwhile). A good choice on many levels.

Maninthearena

Re: Clearcut Kennels

Post by Maninthearena » Thu May 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks for the response! No doubt there is a great difference between field stock and show stock among all setter breeds. Interesting that Gordons are not more popular; they have great noses in my experience.