Kennel run flooring

chrisss

Kennel run flooring

Post by chrisss » Mon May 08, 2017 11:12 am

I currently have 3 dogs and would like to build some nice kennel run for my dogs but i am stuck between laying cement or using wood for the flooring. Any input would be appreciated. Also whats the cost difference between the 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tekoa

Re: Kennel run flooring

Post by tekoa » Mon May 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Here in Western Washington we rarely get freezing temps for more than a few days and at temps no lower than low 20s. So a thin concrete slab (3") can be used. Concrete, including grading for a tilted slab, forms, delivery, finishing, sealing, is about 3 to 4 times the cost of waterproof plywood on a wood framed floor with access under for cleaning and ventilation . So initial cost favors a wood floor. But wood will have to be replaced every 5 or 6 years, unless treated every year. Treatment with non toxic materials (eg linseed oil) adds substantially to the cost over time. In my case the cost of re-oiling is about $200 a year.

Do not use pressure treated planks. Neighbor did that and lost two dogs to chrome, copper and arsenic poisoning from dogs chewing and laying on the wood.

Urine and feces will stain the plywood over time and is harder than concrete to disinfect.
Plywood is easier on the dogs pads.
Dogs can chew wood.
Wood is easy to repair and replace.
Concrete is very expensive to repair and replace.

An alternative that is more expensive than plywood but still less than concrete is composite/plastic decking material. Non Toxic, no maintenance, lasts forever, even my Chessie can't chew it, cleans easily, just make sure that its non slip surface. I don't know the current cost of composite but it's worth looking at. Generally comes in planks , not sheets. So easy to wash but requires accessible space under floor to clean out food hair, straw, poop, etc. that falls through cracks.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:03 pm

I have seen a couple of nice dog runs that were covered in 3-4" of pea gravel. Under the gravel was fabric mating that allowed water to flow through to the ground. Advantages is it makes it easy to pick up feces and can be easily washed off with water. Dogs seem to love it....I never saw it frozen hard in winter...at that time I was in Colorado!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon May 08, 2017 6:32 pm

I love concrete. Slope it at about 1/4" per foot minimum and it will drain well and be easy to clean. Wood is horrible; it stinks. Nor do I care for gravel. It keeps the dog's feet in good condition but it stinks after a while from the urine filtering through it. For my money, there is no floor cleaner, more sanitary, easier to clean than concrete.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon May 08, 2017 7:01 pm

concrete all the way. the only other option I would consider if concrete was not an option for some reason would be to make a deck using the new style composite decking. that stuff is pricey though!

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:53 am

gonehuntin' wrote:I love concrete. Slope it at about 1/4" per foot minimum and it will drain well and be easy to clean. Wood is horrible; it stinks. Nor do I care for gravel. It keeps the dog's feet in good condition but it stinks after a while from the urine filtering through it. For my money, there is no floor cleaner, more sanitary, easier to clean than concrete.
totally agree 100%...there is a reason all the exclusive boarding kennels have concrete runs

Timnichols

Post by Timnichols » Tue May 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Concrete and get around a foot of fall, I medium broomed mine and stained and sealed looks great and cleans up very easy.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat May 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Use concrete but cover it with rubber stall mats. They are easier on the dog's legs and feet and they are urine proof and rinse off easily.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Mon May 15, 2017 3:24 pm

In side my dog house I use 3/4 horse stall pads drill a few small holes in it will let it drail I have concret runs now but would look into putting dowm horse stall pads if I made another they come in 4 by 6 pads not ot high dogs can not scrach them up just another thing ot look at

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:31 pm

concrete is great and easy. I put down rubber stall mats when its cold

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon May 29, 2017 8:22 am

If you can, use slightly brushed concrete sloped to a gutter drained to a pea gravel bed 18" deep exposed to southern sun.