South Dakota Non-Guided Land Access

rkappes

South Dakota Non-Guided Land Access

Post by rkappes » Tue May 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi All!

Looking for non-guided land access in South Dakota for pheasant hunting. Will pay a fee. At least three hunters. Preferably near a major town. Thanks in advance!

jetjockey

Re: South Dakota Non-Guided Land Access

Post by jetjockey » Tue May 09, 2017 1:55 pm

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue May 09, 2017 3:13 pm

Expensive proposition these days. Too rich for my blood but there can be a tremendous difference between public land and private. Last and only time I hunted private we hunted from 12:00 -2:00 every day and limited. Hunting public you work darn hard to limit hunting 7 or so hours a day.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Tue May 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Most chambers of commerce in pheasant country have a listing of property owners who charge a fee for access. Good luck, and don't neglect the private land open to hunters - they will have a good list of those as well. The state also publishes a map of those properties.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:04 am

Don't tell anyone, but North Dakota has tons of open access. In that state any property not posted can be hunted without asking for permission. And most of it is not posted, except for a week before deer season (do not go right before or during deer season). We go every year and get lots of pheasant, waterfowl, and partridge! All on open land. We usually check in with land owners, but it is not required. Usually, they will tell you where to hunt...

Keep this secret as it is the best hunting I know of....Last year while driving up through South Dakota, we saw "school buses" being used to drop off piles of pheasant hunters in fields? How crazy is that....as you would expect tons of information on the state websites....I am usually exhausted with a soar shoulder after our 4-5 days of hunting...my dogs feel the same! All very happy when we get back home...good way to start your season I think!

I do not recommend you use a guide, they are not necessary, we just drive around on country roads and when we see a bird, we stop and hunt the area....very productive!

Good luck

Herve

Post by Herve » Thu May 11, 2017 2:11 pm

Go to the SD website. You see all the free public access land. There is enough to hunt days and days.
I went three times in SD, I've hunted only public lands and I found pheasants in EVERY field where I've hunted.
When you buy your permit you have an atlas map with all public lands. That's really easy to hunt all day long with success.
I think thaan ND is the same.