Jagd Terrier

Kjcpoint

Jagd Terrier

Post by Kjcpoint » Sat May 27, 2017 9:52 am

Does anyone know where to find some pups?

Thanks

Kyle

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Jagd Terrier

Post by shags » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:50 am

Did you ever find any?

I'd kinda like a new one :D

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:41 pm

had never heard of this dog before. looks like a lot of fun

Jagdterriers were developed to be all round hunting dogs. Though often used for quarry that dens underground, especially badger, fox, and raccoon dog, Jagdterriers are also used to drive wild boar and rabbits out of thickets, and to blood track wounded animals, such as deer. Due to their intelligence and adaptability, Jagdterriers can make good pets, but it should be remembered that they are primarily a hunting dog with a strong prey drive.
The Jadgterrier did not become popular in the U.S. for several reasons, not the least of which was that in the U.S. very few people hunt fox to ground. In recent years, with the rise of interest in terrier work in the U.S., new lines of Jagdterriers have been imported to the U.S., but most are used for above-ground or barn work due to their size. For a Jadgterrier to do well working underground in the U.S., it has to be at the absolutely smallest end of the breed standard or even undersized.

Many of the newer/later imports to the USA are within the true FCI breed standard(correct size)and are being used successfully both above and below ground with many reports of their offspring making exceptional hunting, flush and retrieval dogs both on land and in water. Today there are many hunters across the USA adopting this courageous, intelligent breed as a hunt companion because of its versatility in various hunt disciplines and aim to please attitude.

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Chris Phillips in North Carolina. Search "v.den briarwoods drathaars and jadgterriers" on Facebook or check out his website for contact info http://www.drahthaarsandjagds.com/

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:00 pm

MNTonester wrote:had never heard of this dog before. looks like a lot of fun
Sure are, but not the breed for everyone. The drive and intensity is insane and if there isn't an outlet for it, bad things can happen. If trouble doesn't come to a jagd, a jagd will go looking for it. I know of GSPs killed by a jagd, and other dogs with their faces and ears rearranged by them. Hardly a day goes by that our jagd doesn't leave some kind of furry body part or other on the back porch. She's killed boar coons and big fat groundhogs.

But then, our jagd is great with the setters and loves people, especially kids. She's smart and figures out a new trick to make me laugh every day; I've awakened to my little dog standing on top of the refrigerator :o She's loyal and very affectionate.

Watch some youtube videos before you make up your mind that you want a jagd.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:26 pm

A lot of people think they've been around a high drive dog or can handle one. IMP The only comparison to the drive and lack of self preservation of a good jagd is a true game bred pit bull or high drive working Malinois.

Kjcpoint

Post by Kjcpoint » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:02 pm

A buddy of mine has one. No you tube videos needed here. Seen him in action several times.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:43 am

I haven't seen one, but by their descriptions they almost sound like Jack Russel Terriers on Roids and Meth.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:55 pm

JONOV wrote:I haven't seen one, but by their descriptions they almost sound like Jack Russel Terriers on Roids and Meth.

Not far off.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:33 am

Was cleaning up my photobucket albums and came across this. Not my photo, not my dogs. Sorry, but can't even credit the photog