Hives/Welts on GSP

ChasinTails27

Hives/Welts on GSP

Post by ChasinTails27 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:04 pm

I got home from work today and got my dog out of her pen and noticed she had all these little bumps/welts on her head. I didn't see them anywhere else on her body. I did see a handful of mosquitoes in her house and when I killed them they were all full of blood. Could she have had a reaction to the bites or could it be something totally different?

She has been action completely normal all night, running around and playing and eating and drinking like normal. I gave her a bath just to clean her up in case she got on something. A few hours later they welts have gone down but there is still a few. She is 7 months old by the way.

Thanks for all the help!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Hives/Welts on GSP

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Sounds like mosquito bites to me given the scenario , which is why Heartguard meds is important.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Advantage II also repels mosquitos as well as ticks and fleas.

DougB

Post by DougB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:52 am

Mosquitos carry enough problems now that an active program to protect a dog should be used. Dump standing water, get rid of old tires, clean the buckets daily. My vet carries a product called Ultrashield used primarily for horses but also safe for dogs over 12 weeks. Strong citronella smell. Repels mosquito and flies and lots of other bugs. Also kills ticks on dogs. My dog hates the smell and disappears when he sees the bottle, but I use it on him. Also spray my hat brim and pant cuffs when heading into the woods. If you use it, read the directions. Had a problem with fleas, and this helped a lot.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:26 pm

art hubbard wrote:Advantage II also repels mosquitos as well as ticks and fleas.
I've used Advantix 2 ( actually switched now to Nexguard), but I think a heartguard preventative is also essential.
Heartworms can kill a dog .